Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

San Jose LA road trip any tips etc

San Jose LA road trip any tips etc

Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default San Jose LA road trip any tips etc

We are doing a road trip from San Fran to Las Vegas, stopping at San jose and LA.

We are a couple with an 18 month in tow, we are pretty much sorted out woth the San Fran and Vegas bit, but would appreciate some tips or suggestions regarding the San Jose and LA bit. Ideally what to see where to stop or any other must see must do recommendations whilst on route.

Many thanks.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:37 am
Just Joined

MikeyT has a brilliant futureMikeyT has a brilliant futureMikeyT has a brilliant futureMikeyT has a brilliant futureMikeyT has a brilliant futureMikeyT has a brilliant future
Default Re: San Jose LA road trip any tips etc

Some thoughts off the top of my head for you:

From San Jose drive to Santa Cruz on highway 17 over the Santa Cruz mountains. Welcome to the last remaining vestige of California hippy culture (and a cool beach too).

Then take route 1 south to Monterey. Amazing aquarium there that the 18 month old will enjoy.

From Monterey, take route 1 south for amazing views of the Pacific coast down to San Luis Obispo. Beware this drive will take several hours as the road is slow and windy. But the beautiful Pacific coastline will compensate for this. If you haven't got time, take 101 south instead.

From SLO, take 101 south. Once you reach Santa Barbara county, take in some of the Santa Ynez wine region (watched Sideways?). Solvang is a fun town to visit (fairy tale Danish-style buildings and shops).

Then either take 101S or take the amazingly beautiful mountain road 154 to Santa Barbara. This is well worth a stop for a fun downtown and beautiful beaches (interesting bums too, but that's another story).

Finally 101S to LA.

Have driven all of the above several times and loved every minute of it. A beautiful part of the country.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lamin
We are doing a road trip from San Fran to Las Vegas, stopping at San jose and LA.

We are a couple with an 18 month in tow, we are pretty much sorted out woth the San Fran and Vegas bit, but would appreciate some tips or suggestions regarding the San Jose and LA bit. Ideally what to see where to stop or any other must see must do recommendations whilst on route.

Many thanks.
We've driven this numerous times and driving along the coast is the most beautiful way but not sure how long you have. in addition to what Mikey T said, you could take a stop at Hearst Castle which is about as close as the US gets to a palace.
And nearby is an elephant seal colony which you can see from a viewing platform just off the highway. Feb/Mar is a great time to see the seals.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

After Santa Cruz and Monterey Bay stick a stop of in Carmel on, it's a bit like the Cotswolds and very posh.

My friend drove the route you have been given last week and the seals are out in force at the moment. its a fantastic drive, have fun.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you stop in San Jose if your starting in San Francisco?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Why would you stop in San Jose if your starting in San Francisco?
I think he was offering a more 'interesting' route than the drive from SFO to LA. And for some reason they are going via San Jose.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
I think he was offering a more 'interesting' route than the drive from SFO to LA. And for some reason they are going via San Jose.
Oh, well when I looked it up it says its only 45 miles from San Fran to San Jose....not a huge day of driving to be sure....

If I was doing a scenic route (and I've done the I-5 soul breaking nightmare, many more times then I would ever want to) I'd take the coastal route. Very curvy and takes longer, but at least its cooler and more interesting.

But if it was really up to me, I'd fly.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AmerLisa

But if it was really up to me, I'd fly.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks.
MikeyT made some good suggestions - I'd just add don't stop in San Jose. Unless you have months to do the journey there are much better ways to spend your time at other points of the trip. Even if you have days for each you'll feel you haven't spent enough time in SF, on Highway 1, Monterey, Carmel, Hearst Castle etc. (Even LA if you like Hollyweird). You'll of had enough of San Jose after about 30 minutes.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

MikeyT has a brilliant futureMikeyT has a brilliant futureMikeyT has a brilliant futureMikeyT has a brilliant futureMikeyT has a brilliant futureMikeyT has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Philgr
MikeyT made some good suggestions - I'd just add don't stop in San Jose. Unless you have months to do the journey there are much better ways to spend your time at other points of the trip. Even if you have days for each you'll feel you haven't spent enough time in SF, on Highway 1, Monterey, Carmel, Hearst Castle etc. (Even LA if you like Hollyweird). You'll of had enough of San Jose after about 30 minutes.
Booo!!!

SJ is my adopted hometown, and I love living here. Unfortunately it is rather dull for visitors, so unless you have family/friends to see I'd keep on driving down to Santa Cruz and beyond.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:08 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks.
Many different variations. One daughter had attended UC Santa Cruz -- so did the LA/SC drive a lot.

From SJ, you can take 17 over the hill into Santa Cruz. From Santa Cruz, take CA 1 South and make a left turn towards Salinas at Castroville [gotta love those artichokes], and in Southern Salinas take 101 South until you reach Paso Robles and then get off at Highway 46 east. 46 will seem slow but you are doing 60 -- enjoy it. The first half is wine country. Halfway through, you will come to the intersection of Highways 46 & 33 -- where on September 30, 1955, the second most famous fatal highway accident took place. Just before the junction, eat at the funky Jack Ranch Cafe and look at the memorial for James Dean. I will admit that the drive after that into LA is boring -- but it is only 3 hours or so.

An alternative is to take 580 east from San Jose and when you reach the 5 south, get off highway and follow those straight roads between 5 and 99 to all those little farm towns. It is something different, and you will find a plethora of Basque restaurants. [In fact, Firebaugh sits on Hwy 33 -- never driven from the Jack Ranch to Frirebaugh].

If time is a factor, note that at Point Conception, the California Coast takes turn due EAST. That is something to consider.

Addition -- if you go through Paso Robles -- it is a short jaunt west then north to San Simeon to Hearst Castle.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed at this Baywood Inn Bed & Breakfast place at San Luis Obispo one weekend, it was fabulous! I highly recommend it, if you find yourself wanting to stay the night in that area. We stayed in the Santa Fe Suite.

http://www.baywoodinn.com/

Rene
Old Feb 20th 2010, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

As everyone has noted, there are 1,001 beautiful things to see between SF and LA on highway 1 (and yes, San Jose is not one of them!). However, I'm not sure the LA-LV trip is going to be that great. If you really wanted to get the most 'scenery' for the buck on this trip, I'd abandon LA altogether and drive from SF to either Tahoe or Yosemite, then down 395 through Bishop, hang a left after Lone Pine and go through Death Valley to Las Vegas. This is a fantastic drive - one I've done about 5 times and will be doing again soon.

If LA is a necessary element, then do all the things recommended above by others for the SF->LA part, then try taking highway 2 through the Angeles National Forest as a way to see some great mountains before hitting I15 to LV. There really isn't much of an alternative to I15 after that, as far as I know, unless you are willing to really extend your trip. If you have 9+ hours to drive the journey, try LA -> Death Valley -> LV - this route.

There is a rather beautiful section of road on highway 58 between Bakersfield and Mojave in the vicinity of Tehachapi - rolling, oak-lined hills, beautiful driving roads, etc - but I don't think it would fit into your itinerary.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Or drive down to LA and then fly to Vegas instead of driving. Flights are not that expensive and the trip is much easier.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
... If you really wanted to get the most 'scenery' for the buck on this trip, I'd abandon LA altogether and drive from SF to either Tahoe or Yosemite, then down 395 through Bishop, hang a left after Lone Pine and go through Death Valley to Las Vegas. This is a fantastic drive - one I've done about 5 times and will be doing again soon.
Just realized it is winter (I forget as I'm in Phoenix these days, where you tend to forget) so that rules out driving THROUGH Yosemite. The drive up to Tahoe is open year round but you can run into major snow so I guess that puts a damper on that whole option! So coast route it probably is ...

Be aware that Hearst Castle is not generally a 'spare of the moment' kind of thing; there are only a few tours daily and they are often booked up; and it takes several hours all told, so not something you can just fit in to a drive. If you do decide to see it, plan on staying in 'Cambria', a really great undiscovered gem of a town just south of HC.

When do you plan to make this journey?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.