British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   San Francisco and Yosemite trip (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/san-francisco-yosemite-trip-338950/)

Shahlax Nov 22nd 2005 4:50 pm

San Francisco and Yosemite trip

I am going to San Francisco over Christmas and would like to visit Yosemite for two days. I have a few questions:

1) Will the park be snowed in and is it worth driving on our own there? Do we need an SUV? Or is it better to take an organised coach tour including one night's hotel accommodation?
2) Are the roads steep and dangerous?
3) Is it better to stay in the park or outside (both of us prefer hotels to camping/hostels)?

4) In San Francisco, is Fisherman's Wharf a good base for exploring the rest of the city?

LeedsGirl Nov 22nd 2005 5:21 pm

Re: San Francisco and Yosemite trip

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I am going to San Francisco over Christmas and would like to visit Yosemite for two days. I have a few questions:

1) Will the park be snowed in and is it worth driving on our own there? Do we need an SUV? Or is it better to take an organised coach tour including one night's hotel accommodation?
3) Is it better to stay in the park or outside (both of us prefer hotels to camping/hostels)?

4) In San Francisco, is Fisherman's Wharf a good base for exploring the rest of the city?

I would wait and see what the weather is like just before Christmas before figuring out Yosemite and then take it from there. Some of the roads are steep and dangerous, so just be careful if driving yourself. I believe there are many hotels outside of Yosemite, do an online search and it should give you enough information.

Fisherman's Wharf is the main place to be in SF and fairly central to everything, cable cars, cabs, etc. Lot of walking though so be prepared. Depending on what you want to see in the city I would plan your day first because although Fishermans Wharf is the main tourist area you still have to walk or drive to the other locations. You can catch the ferry to Alcatraz from Fisherman's and all the other ferrys for across the abay. Let me know if you need any more info, have a great trip!

AdobePinon Nov 22nd 2005 7:01 pm

Re: San Francisco and Yosemite trip

Originally Posted by Shahlax

1 - Maybe, maybe not. You'll need to check when you get there. If you're renting, get a 4WD / AWD. If you're driving your own car, consider getting some chains. BTW, most rental companies neither provide, nor allow chains on their vehicles. If you like coach tours it might be OK, but I'd be tearing my hair out.
2 - I suppose I thought so when I first went there, but now they'd seem rather tame.
3 - A popular place even in the winter. If you want to stay in the park, get reservations ASAP. It's likely too late already. There is a fair amount of stuff outside the park, but a lot of it is far away and will require much driving on your part. I'd vote for staying in the park - it'll probably be expensive but worth every penny. Yosemite is one of those places where sunrise / sunset are really special.
4 - Sounds good, but I think others can tell you much more.