Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

San Francisco or Seattle

San Francisco or Seattle

Old Dec 17th 2007, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Francisco or Seattle

Sorry, guys, but I was initially ticked off by the wonderful contribution of 'Ray':

If your a poofter pick SF
If you like rain pick Seattle

Having a nephew who just recently 'came out' after years of emotional struggle, that remark is exactly the kind of bad-taste humor that makes life hell for someone in that situation. I don't believe in being 100% 'PC', but jokes about minorities, immigrants, and gays are just bad taste. Fatbrit, I've seen you take on the rampant racism on other threads (and forums).

Even though it ticked me off, I decided to let it go because virtually the whole first page of responses were already off-topic. Finally the thread picked up momentum, then 'Ray' again chimed in with his comment about the visa. My thought was, this guy is just chiming in on every darned thread as if there were a prize for having a high post-count or something.

The bottom line is, it doesn't matter whether the OP has a visa, a green card, or just a lot of dreams and optimism. The thread topic was 'SF vs. Seattle', and the responses could be valuable to many readers, current and future. The value of any thread tends to be proportional to the number of on-topic posts to off-topic posts.

Peace.

Last edited by Steerpike; Dec 17th 2007 at 6:18 pm. Reason: typo
Old Dec 17th 2007, 6:21 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Sorry, guys, but I was initially ticked off by the wonderful contribution of 'Ray':
You need to get a sense of humor ..without you wont last long here ..
Old Dec 17th 2007, 6:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: San Francisco or Seattle

I guess I'm used to more disciplined forums where people who have something to contribute do so, and the rest stay out. Oh well, it's the internet!
nature of the beast....mod's aren't here to censor the forums and there is nothing in this thread to warrant anything to be deleted.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 6:41 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Having a nephew who just recently 'came out' after years of emotional struggle, that remark is exactly the kind of bad-taste humor that makes life hell for someone in that situation. I don't believe in being 100% 'PC', but jokes about minorities, immigrants, and gays are just bad taste. Fatbrit, I've seen you take on the rampant racism on other threads (and forums).

Even though it ticked me off, I decided to let it go because virtually the whole first page of responses were already off-topic. Finally the thread picked up momentum, then 'Ray' again chimed in with his comment about the visa. My thought was, this guy is just chiming in on every darned thread as if there were a prize for having a high post-count or something.

The bottom line is, it doesn't matter whether the OP has a visa, a green card, or just a lot of dreams and optimism. The thread topic was 'SF vs. Seattle', and the responses could be valuable to many readers, current and future. The value of any thread tends to be proportional to the number of on-topic posts to off-topic posts.

Peace.

Threads do wander here. If you want it to remain closer to the topic, lead by example. Moaning about it, though, will result in your piss being taken -- ain't called Britishexpats for nothing!

The OP could very well have been one of our standard ones -- not uncommon for someone watching those silly TV programs to start an "Orlando or Malibu?" thread, then get pissy when we tell 'em they ain't actually coming. Manc once ran a rather amusing parody entitled something along the lines of "Scunthorpe or Rotherham?"

There's a ton of useful information buried in this here site. But I don't think the banter detracts at all -- rather it is what makes it the #1 site for expats. Take it slowly and you'll enjoy it.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 6:51 pm
MrP
Account Closed

MrP is an unknown quantity at this point

Banter is fine. But it doesn’t make sense if a poster can (on a whim) just take the discussion completely off topic. Usually there are areas on bulletin boards where you can shoot the breeze, make homophobic comments etc.

But hey, this is your bulletin board so I’ll bow out of this thread.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 7:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrP
Banter is fine. But it doesn’t make sense if a poster can (on a whim) just take the discussion completely off topic. Usually there are areas on bulletin boards where you can shoot the breeze, make homophobic comments etc.

There are parts of the forum just for chewing the fat, that doesn't mean threads are a static thing, they are fluid and they run their course. We've got better things to do than read every post and have over zealous censorship.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrP

And I'd like to add to what Bob has said - just that if you are planning on making homophobic comments, you'd better change your mind now. That kind of thing isn't welcome on BE in this or any other thread.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And I'd like to add to what Bob has said - just that if you are planning on making homophobic comments, you'd better change your mind now. That kind of thing isn't welcome on BE in this or any other thread.
They are whinging about my truthful comment ...
Old Dec 18th 2007, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
They are whinging about my truthful comment ...
Must admit I'm confused - there is a large gay population in SF, that's well known. Not sure what was homophobic about that...

Did I miss something? Didn't think you criticised them, just mentioned their existance...
Old Dec 18th 2007, 3:06 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Tracym
I keep hoping I will catch it.

To the OP - San Fran would definitely have better weather. I wouldn't go to Seattle personally, because I wouldn't like that much rain. I found SF very charming - Chinatown was awesome, so was the seafood.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...78&postcount=2
Old Dec 18th 2007, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Saw that... so? imho of course.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 3:13 am
Just Joined

norfolkgirl is just really nicenorfolkgirl is just really nicenorfolkgirl is just really nicenorfolkgirl is just really nicenorfolkgirl is just really nicenorfolkgirl is just really nicenorfolkgirl is just really nicenorfolkgirl is just really nice

We are new to the East Bay 40 mins from SF. Do you want to be in the city or just near? There are some great areas to live around here but housing is expensive (watch this space, things change!!)
Having only been here 3 months and with 2 children we haven't done much in the way of 'cultural' activities but have found loads to explore and do.
I've not been to Seattle, everyone mentions the rain but I've also heard it is a great city and quite green.
What are your priorities?
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:40 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norfolkgirl
We are new to the East Bay 40 mins from SF. Do you want to be in the city or just near? There are some great areas to live around here but housing is expensive (watch this space, things change!!)
Having only been here 3 months and with 2 children we haven't done much in the way of 'cultural' activities but have found loads to explore and do.
I've not been to Seattle, everyone mentions the rain but I've also heard it is a great city and quite green.
What are your priorities?
Hey Norfolk girl that makes 2 of us I am from Norwich
Old Dec 19th 2007, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Three - I grew up in Mundesley and now live in East Bay - must be a tunnel or something.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 4:26 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
On the ball City!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.