Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

San Francisco - Los Angeles commute?

Wikiposts

San Francisco - Los Angeles commute?

Old Oct 29th 2010, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Francisco - Los Angeles commute?

Originally Posted by md95065
One way for the OP to avoid the hassles of airport parking and car rental at both ends would be for him to have his wife drop him off at the airport in San Francisco and then get his girlfriend to pick him up in Los Angeles ...
That's my goal ... still looking for the mistress in AZ !!!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 5:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

OK I've got to ask...I presume you will be transferring with your company on a L1a visa. What visa will your wife be using?
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:09 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
That's my goal ... still looking for the mistress in AZ !!!
My sister's very cute.... and single!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 11:07 am
Just Joined

waspfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

OK I've got to ask...I presume you will be transferring with your company on a L1a visa. What visa will your wife be using?
I believe she will be on an H1B visa with the academic dispensation (she's off to UCSF). Alternatively I understand that she would be able to work as my spouse on an L1 visa which makes her a little more attractive to prospective employers.

Totally aware that there are many hurdles to jump through before we are in California. So expect many more questions!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:49 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waspfan
I believe she will be on an H1B visa with the academic dispensation (she's off to UCSF). Alternatively I understand that she would be able to work as my spouse on an L1 visa which makes her a little more attractive to prospective employers.

Totally aware that there are many hurdles to jump through before we are in California. So expect many more questions!
You're doing just fine at least you are not expecting to move here to Florida after a 2 week vacation and not realise that you need a visa!!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 1:19 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waspfan

Make sure you fly out of the smaller regional airports such as Burbank, Long Beach (LA area) San Jose (SF area). Otherwise you are setting yourself up for lots of delays and mpossible missed flights, it can often take over an hour to get through security at LAX.

Don't even think about driving it on a regular basis, as someone who did the drive this week I can guarantee you are looking at an absolute minimum of 6 hours, you can add a couple more hours to that depending on where in LA you will be going.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 1:46 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Make sure you fly out of the smaller regional airports such as Burbank, Long Beach (LA area) San Jose (SF area). Otherwise you are setting yourself up for lots of delays and mpossible missed flights, it can often take over an hour to get through security at LAX.

Don't even think about driving it on a regular basis, as someone who did the drive this week I can guarantee you are looking at an absolute minimum of 6 hours, you can add a couple more hours to that depending on where in LA you will be going.
I do Modesto to Burbank in less then 4hours.....is it closer from my end to LA!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 4:12 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I do Modesto to Burbank in less then 4hours.....is it closer from my end to LA!
I believe so. 4 hours I could do
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:16 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I've done a commute like this (NY to DC) but had the advantage of a train and even a bus when the skies were full.

I don't recommend it, though I understand sometimes it is unavoidable.

I would, however, urge you to do a serious accounting of the added financial burden. The cost of tickets, of course, but also the second home, the second electric bill, the second Internet connection, the added food bills, etc. These are all after tax expenses so say you have about $20,000 in costs you're talking about $25,000 in annual income depending on your tax bracket..

Another way of putting it is is that you could take a $24,999 pay cut and still come out financially ahead.

Many people who look at these sort of commutes don't always put it in the cold hard financial terms that might be needed. While right now it might seem necessary to take this job, for visa reasons or whatever, as you consider slightly longer term you might want a job change sooner rather than later.

Good luck.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by N1cky
I believe so. 4 hours I could do
You got me thinking now I will be driving to LA on Tuesday going to see how long it takes, just for my own curiosity
Old Oct 30th 2010, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
You got me thinking now I will be driving to LA on Tuesday going to see how long it takes, just for my own curiosity
But to be honest, Poppy, starting in Modesto means you are almost half way there! Not literally, of course, but you miss all the hassle of getting out of the Bay Area, which can eat up a few hours (esp. if you start in SF).

I'm driving to Phoenix this weekend and sadly I know exactly how long it's going to take ... I'm going to make a road-trip out of it, though - going through Yosemite, then down 395, staying somewhere near Death Valley along the way, then onwards to Phoenix tomorrow. The Entire journey by that route is quite scenic and I'm looking forward to it. The 'direct route' is about 11 hours; this route is about 15, split into 6 and 9. Love it ! Do that a few times and the LA journey is suddenly a walk in the park!
Old Oct 30th 2010, 5:36 am

But to be honest, Poppy, starting in Modesto means you are almost half way there! Not literally, of course, but you miss all the hassle of getting out of the Bay Area, which can eat up a few hours (esp. if you start in SF).

I'm driving to Phoenix this weekend and sadly I know exactly how long it's going to take ... I'm going to make a road-trip out of it, though - going through Yosemite, then down 395, staying somewhere near Death Valley along the way, then onwards to Phoenix tomorrow. The Entire journey by that route is quite scenic and I'm looking forward to it. The 'direct route' is about 11 hours; this route is about 15, split into 6 and 9. Love it ! Do that a few times and the LA journey is suddenly a walk in the park!
Yes you are right its straight down the 99... I hate the 5 then obviously over the grape vine.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Luckily I checked road conditions before leaving; Tioga Pass through Yosemite was closed due to snowstorms. Since my hotel in 'Lone Pine' was already booked, I had to reroute through South Lake Tahoe, another 100 miles or so on the journey. The drive through Tahoe was great; rain and a bit of snow on the approach, then amazingly clear and sunny on the eastern side of the Sierra (Highway 395). The 400 mile drive took about 7 hours. On the last 2-3 hours on 395, I would say I only saw about 20 cars (pass/passed by) - amazing, considering this is an utterly gorgeous stretch of road. The road peaks at 8,800 feet, with Lone Pine at 3,700 feet. Picture below is a shot of Mono Lake from 395, with snow-capped mountains in the background.
Attached Thumbnails San Francisco - Los Angeles commute?-img_0468-crop-sml1200.jpg  
Old Oct 31st 2010, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Hope you waved when you drove through Gardnerville, NV
Old Oct 31st 2010, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

MtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily I checked road conditions before leaving; Tioga Pass through Yosemite was closed due to snowstorms. Since my hotel in 'Lone Pine' was already booked, I had to reroute through South Lake Tahoe, another 100 miles or so on the journey. The drive through Tahoe was great; rain and a bit of snow on the approach, then amazingly clear and sunny on the eastern side of the Sierra (Highway 395). The 400 mile drive took about 7 hours. On the last 2-3 hours on 395, I would say I only saw about 20 cars (pass/passed by) - amazing, considering this is an utterly gorgeous stretch of road. The road peaks at 8,800 feet, with Lone Pine at 3,700 feet. Picture below is a shot of Mono Lake from 395, with snow-capped mountains in the background.
Damn - You lucky...........

I hope you were driving something half decent !

Carl.