Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

San Francisco

Wikiposts

San Francisco

Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Francisco

If you do a guided tour - book with Mr Toad's tours - they use a vintage car and small group going to off the beaten track places. If you do this, do it at the beginning of your stay as the guide points out really cool places to visit/eat (we left it till the last couple of days and regretted not doing it earlier).
Old Sep 26th 2010, 1:31 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The view from the Marin Headlands of the Golden Gate and San Fran is something you should definitely take in. Just drive over the bridge and then head up the mountains. There are a few World War II forts up there and even an old Cold War missile facility, but the breathtaking views back of the Bridge are something you won't soon forget.

Fisherman's wharf is ok, if you are a tourist or looking for a quick bite to eat. You'll see the old street cars running the lines (they have a collection of street cars from around the world that are still in service) and there are restaurants and other things to do. Most locals try to avoid and go to their neighborhood pubs and grub for their eats. We would often eat at Japantown (not the China town) which was a small two block area filled with Japanese restaurants and stores. Great if you want some noodles or looking to buy giant robots for the kids.

I like Sausalito on the other side of the Bay. Might be worth a ferry over there and walk around the eclectic mix of shops and places in that town just over the water from San Fran. Golden Gate Park is also quite nice, and leads you down to the Ocean where you can see some pretty lovely views.

Further out, you could consider a drive down to Stanford in Palo Alto, CA. It's about an hour trip from San Fran and a very beautiful campus. Palo Alto is a part of Silicon Valley, which doesn't really offer much for the tourist but if your partner is a bit of a geek he could visit things like Hewlett-Packards 'garage' where they started their company, or see Apples HQ or shop at Frys (where many a geek buys their gadgets). You could also consider a drive up into Napa wine country, which might be a nice day trip as well.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

My favourite things to do were Alcatraz, the Art Museum and Chinatown.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 3:50 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
The view from the Marin Headlands of the Golden Gate and San Fran is something you should definitely take in. Just drive over the bridge and then head up the mountains. There are a few World War II forts up there and even an old Cold War missile facility, but the breathtaking views back of the Bridge are something you won't soon forget.

\
I spent part of my Army Reserve duty there -- the support battalion of the former 91st Div (TNG) -- Battalion HQ, Transportation Company and the Band were at Fort Baker while the Supply & Service Company was at a former barrage balloon hanger on Fort Chronkite. We sometimes went exploring the old Coast Artillery fortification up the road at Fort Barry.

On the Presidio itself, Chrissey Field was an active airfield.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My favourite things to do were Alcatraz, the Art Museum and Chinatown.
Alcatraz is fun, reasonably priced and a nice boat ride.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I spent part of my Army Reserve duty there -- the support battalion of the former 91st Div (TNG) -- Battalion HQ, Transportation Company and the Band were at Fort Baker while the Supply & Service Company was at a former barrage balloon hanger on Fort Chronkite. We sometimes went exploring the old Coast Artillery fortification up the road at Fort Barry.
Fort Baker has recently been very nicely restored with an upmarket hotel, restaurant, spa etc. Nice views as well.

http://www.fortbaker.net/
Old Sep 26th 2010, 8:18 pm
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute

This will be my first stop!

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Are you staying in a hotel ?

I know a few good places .
We are staying at the Marriott in Union Square.

I would like to thank everyone for their info. Please keep it coming.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

A bit odd, when people come to stay they always want to do Alcatraz (which is great,) Fisherman's Wharf etc, but the last one only cared about one thing............

Going to see Mrs Doubtfires house, which she did!

I think the nicest part is driving up into the mountains on the other side of the bridge too.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 12:56 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Fort Baker has recently been very nicely restored with an upmarket hotel, restaurant, spa etc. Nice views as well.

http://www.fortbaker.net/
Thank you. I see that they removed the buildings from World War II. I was going to write "old WWII" buildings and then I realized that this was inappropriate in this context.

In addition, there is a lot of historic military housing on the Presidio. In my day, the Presidio was the oldest continuously used military installation in the US [dating back to 1776 under the Spanish]. From what what I understand, the Presidio was often the last posting for officers and senior enlisted before retirement.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 12:56 am
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Alcatraz is fun, reasonably priced and a nice boat ride.
Angel Island is interesting.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 1:06 am
BE Commentator

That was the background to the "Twin Peaks" sign at the Condor Club.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 1:12 am
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Call me AL
Going to be spending Christmas and New Year in San Francisco, its our first visit. Any tips on things to do, places to eat, good bars etc appreciated muchly.
I wish I could find a photo I took on my old Pentax back in 1973 -- it was at the corner of Fulton Street and Friendship Way. [SF street signs do not put "St" or "Ave" or "Way" on them] with the "one way" arrow indicating that

Friendship is a one-way street.

I'm not kidding.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
If you want to go to Alcatraz book tickets before you get there.

Alcatraz is a must IMO.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:49 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Alcatraz is a must IMO.
Yes.... glad I went, and glad I got off the island!
Old Sep 27th 2010, 5:03 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Angel Island is interesting.
I agree - if you want a hike and some fresh air then a ferry to Angel and a hike to the top gives you some of the best views in the Bay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.