Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

San Francisco

San Francisco

Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:07 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute
Default San Francisco

Hi all, my wife and I with our 1 year old daughter are planning a trip to UK in July/ August and thinking about spending a few days in San Francisco on the way over. Has anyone any views or advice on this. (the other option is Vancouver as I believe we have visited all the other possible stops)
Thanks
Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:24 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Francisco

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
Hi all, my wife and I with our 1 year old daughter are planning a trip to UK in July/ August and thinking about spending a few days in San Francisco on the way over. Has anyone any views or advice on this. (the other option is Vancouver as I believe we have visited all the other possible stops)
Thanks
I advise it strongly. San Francisco is a marvelous city, and the weather in July and August is usually very nice indeed (though I have to say when we were there in Aug 2009 it was TOO hot).

I love SF. It's just a nice, lively compact city, with a ton of stuff to do, on land and on the water.

Not cheap, but always enjoyable. Great for eating out, cultural pursuits, and just people-watching.

If you have any more information about specific interests, you'll get a wealth of information.

I love the Cable-Car Museum at 1201 Masons, but I'm a geek, so I would.

Of course, I love Vancouver BC too, but if it were a choice between the two, I would choose SF first.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have children, but unless you're a big shopper I'd say get a hotel/motel nearer Fisherman's Wharf, at the north end of the city. There is so much fun stuff to do up there, and if you were staying downtown you'd need to take some sort of transport to get there. Downtown, in my limited experience, is more for shopping or a night out, not for families.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

If your looking for a hotel, I stayed at the Argonaut Hotel (part of the Kempton group) it's opposite Fishermans Wharf, so in a great location.

The rooms were much cheaper than everywhere else, so we expected a catch, however it was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, the staff were fantastic, the basic room was bigger than a lot of suites and I couldn't fault it.

We were at a 'do' and I left a VERY expensive diamond necklace and earrings in the room and yes they found them and I got them back, I couldn't believe it!

Cant recommend the place enough.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 4:57 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Both wonderful cities. If you go to San Francisco, definitely go to Alcatraz. You just have to book online in advance. Have fun.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:02 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
If your looking for a hotel, I stayed at the Argonaut Hotel (part of the Kempton group) it's opposite Fishermans Wharf, so in a great location.

The rooms were much cheaper than everywhere else, so we expected a catch, however it was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, the staff were fantastic, the basic room was bigger than a lot of suites and I couldn't fault it.

We were at a 'do' and I left a VERY expensive diamond necklace and earrings in the room and yes they found them and I got them back, I couldn't believe it!

Cant recommend the place enough.
Agreed, this is also one of my favourite hotels.

We are going to San Francisco next week, but will be staying at the Hyatt on Fishermans Wharf. Our daughter is 8 now, but was 4 the first time we went to SF.

It's a great city with loads to see and do, even riding the cable cars is exciting for a little one. This time we will be going to the King Tut exhibition, the cable car museum, Chinatown, and Alcatraz, tickets were sold out first time we went in July, so if you want to do this make sure you book before you go.

Also be warned it can be really foggy and cold in July, I was the typical tourist when we went and didn't realize it could be like that in California in July, I nearly froze.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
I don't understand what's so great about Fisherman's Wharf (and I live about 12 blocks from it!). Aside from the view from the end of Pier 39, it really is no different from tourist traps everywhere:- lots of overpriced restaurants and tacky tourist shops. San Francisco has so many wonderful areas to wander around, that it seems a pity that so many join the tourist hordes in Fisherman's Wharf. But perhaps this is a blessing for us residents :-)

Last edited by Giantaxe; Mar 22nd 2010 at 3:38 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 10:28 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I don't understand what's so great about Fisherman's Wharf (and I live about 12 blocks from it!). Aside from the view from the end of Pier 39, it really is no different from tourist traps everywhere:- lots of overpriced restaurants and tacky tourist shops. San Francisco has so many wonderful areas to wander around, that it seems a pity that so many join the tourist hordes in Fisherman's Wharf. But perhaps this is a blessing for us residents :-)
Yes - it's not as if everything SF has is located there - so you need to take transportation at some stage wherever you stay. At least if you stay elsewhere the advantage is that you're not staying at Fisherman's Wharf.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

I quite agree, however I was recommending what I feel is an excellent hotel, in a touristy area, for a tourist to do touristy things, given only a short stopover. If the OP wants shoe shops I can do that too
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:21 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Also be warned it can be really foggy and cold in July, I was the typical tourist when we went and didn't realize it could be like that in California in July, I nearly froze.
Used to live there. San Francisco can be foggy and cold while the rest of the Bay Area is sunny and sometimes downright hot. Even in the City itself, Union Square may be sunny and hot while its foggy in the high numbered Avenues. You might need a jacket and scarf at the top of Twin Peaks and will want to wear shorts on Castro Street.

There is an old Mark Twain quip about "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:25 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

I love SF.... I think Alcatraz is one of the best tours I've done for a long time - however, I'm not sure how suitable it would be taking your baby around - unless she's happy in a stroller for a while
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
There is an old Mark Twain quip about "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."
Except he apparently didn't say it... one more tip, the Hyde/Powell cable car line is much more interesting than the Mason/Powell line. The former goes up to the top of Russian Hill and past the "crookedest street in the world", where there's a great view looking down on Alcatraz.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:35 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I felt the same way when I lived in the City. I remember my brother coming up on a business trip with group from Los Angeles. I recommended either Sam's Grill or the Tadich Grill. I know that Tadich is nearly two decades older than Sam's -- but they both still seem to have that old time flavor.

The boss decided to go to Fisherman's Wharf and I did not enjoy the food.

I don't care to mention my old hangouts in North Beach -- I'm not sure they are in business.

On Chinese Food -- the San Gabriel Valley in SoCal has the best Chinese food in the country. One critic in the LA Times noted that the worst Chinese food in the San Gabriel Valley will be better than the best Chinese food in the midwest. My experience was limited to Bloomington Indiana and I have no basis to disagree. You might want to pass on YOUR favorite in ChinaTown.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:36 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
I love SF.... I think Alcatraz is one of the best tours I've done for a long time - however, I'm not sure how suitable it would be taking your baby around - unless she's happy in a stroller for a while
Angel Island. Also, the ferry to Sausalito or Tiboroun.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:48 pm
BE Commentator

Except he apparently didn't say it... one more tip, the Hyde/Powell cable car line is much more interesting than the Mason/Powell line. The former goes up to the top of Russian Hill and past the "crookedest street in the world", where there's a great view looking down on Alcatraz.
Mea culpa -- I consider Snopes to be reliable.

I recommend that people download Bill Cosby's infamous "Driving In San Francisco" from "Why Is There Air?" It is the funniest 3:45 about San Francisco ever written. BTW, I owned a VW Type 1 bug when living in the City and I taught the significant other in my life at that time how drive stick-shift. True love.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.