British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   San Francisco (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/san-francisco-646625/)

cappuccino Dec 30th 2009 10:36 am

San Francisco

I am fortunate in being able to go to SF with work for a conference in April. My daughter will fly from the UK to meet me there. I wont be able to afford the conference hotel for our extra week, so does anybody have any recommendations for a nice hotel that is in a safe area and close to everything we would want to see as tourists but that won't impact too much on our spending money :)

tonrob Dec 30th 2009 10:45 am

Re: San Francisco

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 8205762)
I am fortunate in being able to go to SF with work for a conference in April. My daughter will fly from the UK to meet me there. I wont be able to afford the conference hotel for our extra week, so does anybody have any recommendations for a nice hotel that is in a safe area and close to everything we would want to see as tourists but that won't impact too much on our spending money :)

Is the conference hotel the same price the week after the conference? Almost all U.S. hotel chains use demand-based pricing so a hotel room that is $150 one week may be $300 the next and $100 the week after. That's why it's so difficult to get price-based recommendations from people as we all travel at different times. (Doubly-difficult given you didn't specify any budget limitations at all in your post).

After trying your conference hotel's website for the following week try Expedia etc. to get a range of prices for those dates. Anything you see in Expedia that you like compare with that hotel's own website which may have better deals. Cross-check everything to Tripadvisor to read info and, more importantly, reviews.

If you can be arsed (and, if you're seriously trying to save money you should be) look at Hotwire. Sites like Betterbidding and Biddingfortravel have sections that help you 'de-code' the amenities and locales in Hotwire to work out which hotels they're offering (or at least narrow it down).

Finally Flyertalk often has the inside scoop on good hotel deals - I've saved a packet over the last year or so by frequenting there.

SF's a great city to visit. Have fun! :)

Poppy girl Dec 30th 2009 11:16 am

I stay in SF every month and book on Priceline.

Choose option 10 which is Union Square East
Or Option 11 West Union Square Nob Hill.

Bid on the 4* option and then down grade to the 3 1/2 star ;) if no luck.

Option 10
I usually get the Hyatt right in the center of Union Square for $50 a night normally about $200

OPTION 11
Its the Hilton or Parc 55 that come up, all excellent hotels in fab locations ;) these too have never come in more then $75 a night :D

The bad news is its way way to early to be booking yet, to get a priceline deal...the good news there is plenty of availability any time of year in the above hotels.

HoosierDaddy Dec 30th 2009 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 8205830)
I stay in SF every month and book on Priceline.

Choose option 10 which is Union Square East
Or Option 11 West Union Square Nob Hill.

Bid on the 4* option and then down grade to the 3 1/2 star ;) if no luck.

Option 10
I usually get the Hyatt right in the center of Union Square for $50 a night normally about $200

OPTION 11
Its the Hilton or Parc 55 that come up, all excellent hotels in fab locations ;) these too have never come in more then $75 a night :D

The bad news is its way way to early to be booking yet, to get a priceline deal...the good news there is plenty of availability any time of year in the above hotels.

I got the Park Hyatt (now Le Meridien) for $55/night a good few years ago on PL. Best stay ever. :thumbsup:

Poppy girl Dec 30th 2009 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy (Post 8206469)
I got the Park Hyatt (now Le Meridien) for $55/night a good few years ago on PL. Best stay ever. :thumbsup:

The only down fall with the Hyatt is the overnight parking $55 and that doesn't include breakfast lol.

cindyabs Dec 30th 2009 5:16 pm

Public transportation or rental car? I always take that into consideration. If I'm driving it's one thing, if I have to rely on public transport it's another.

cappuccino Dec 30th 2009 7:42 pm

Thanks guys, all very helpful advice. I will book closer to the time on Priceline.

Ozzidoc Dec 31st 2009 6:42 pm

Or for the homestay options....

www.airbnb.com