Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

san francisco

san francisco

Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of
Default san francisco

hey
I would like to do a long weekend in San Fran in May. Can anyone advise how far Napa Valley is from the city?
also, any budget hotel recommendations?
Thanks guys
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

ian1976 will become famous soon enoughian1976 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: san francisco

It's around 45 miles.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Sa...6,2.570801&z=9

No idea about hotels though...
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.city-data.com/

Originally Posted by London7
hey
I would like to do a long weekend in San Fran in May. Can anyone advise how far Napa Valley is from the city?
Thanks guys
Old Feb 21st 2008, 11:40 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

hey
Thanks guys
Hi:

About 50 miles or so. Will you have a car or not? It is not a bad day trip from the City. But you really do not want a car all that much in the City. Park it somewhere and use the Muni, BART or A/C as appropriate.

I used to live there a long time ago. The last time I went to the Court of Appeals in San Francisco, there were a large number of motels right near 6th & Mission.

For the City itself, be sure to take layers. San Francisco can be on the cool side while Napa/Sonoma will be blazing.

If you don't mind using BART, consider staying in the East Bay -- but be careful of location.

BTW, take a gander at the Stock Exchange -- especially the statuary outside the entrance. If you look carefully and let your mind wander, there will be a little detail that is quite amusing. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Feb 21st 2008 at 11:43 am.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
BTW, take a gander at the Stock Exchange -- especially the statuary outside the entrance. If you look carefully and let your mind wander, there will be a little detail that is quite amusing. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN

hey
Thanks guys
Do you want to see San Fran or Napa?
We just drove back to Oregon on the 101 and one day makes it hard to appreciate the area. The City can keep you entranced for days on end.. if you haven't yet visited SF, maybe do it over 2 trips?

What do you consider 'budget'? Requirements?
Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:27 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Went there a few years back and stayed in a cheap-but-nice motel out near the zoo but right on the tram line. Was fairly quick and cheap just to jump on a tram and get whisked straight to Market St.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Do a hotels.com and an expedia.com search for cheap hotels and see what you come up with. If you come up with some possibilities, post them here and I'll take a look.

In general, stay clear of hotels 'south of Market'. Market street is the dividing line between the 'good' and the 'bad' parts of town (I know, over-generalizaton, many exceptions, etc, but not a bad rule of thumb - I've worked/lived in SF for over 15 years). Also stay clear of hotels in the 'tenderloin' - the area close to civic center. While it can be overly touristy, a hotel in the Fisherman's Wharf area is not a bad bet for a base for walking. The hotels out on Lombard street are OK if you don't mind driving or bussing into the downtown area. There are a few big tourist hotels on Van Ness right at the end of the California Street cable car line that are not bad. If you can get a discount rate at the newly renovated Hilton in Chinatown, you are golden. The big, big advantage of Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf is that you can walk to almost everything of interest - a big plus in my mind. Parking, however, is going to cost an arm and a leg.

If you want to stay out-of-town and drive or BART in, try the Lafayette Park Hotel in Lafayette, the Marriot in Walnut Creek, or even several of the airport hotels in Burlingame or Millbrae (try the Best Western in Millbrae for a discount place that's not bad). They will all offer free or cheap parking, and are about 30 mins drive from the city center. Lafayette and Walnut Creek offer easier access to the wine country.

My mom is coming to visit soon and I may put her up in a hotel in SF for a few weeks, so I'd be interested in sharing notes!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:36 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

hey
Thanks guys
http://www.marinamotel.com/

depends upon your idea of budget - this place is in the north of the city, right near the Palace of Fine Arts and close to the walk to the GG Bridge. Getting into the center is an easy bus ride, you can walk to Fisherman's wharf. Drive over the GG bridge to head to Napa (or try Sonoma valley)
Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:39 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Do a hotels.com and an expedia.com search for cheap hotels and see what you come up with. If you come up with some possibilities, post them here and I'll take a look.
As always, Tripadvisor is your friend too!
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 3:15 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't there bus tours of Napa? Personally I'd try to avoid them, but if you are looking for a simple way to hit some vineyards (and swallow during the tasting sessions) perhaps that might an option.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I prefer the Sonoma Valley to Napa - less crowds and less developed. Plus the Jack London state park near Glen Ellen is one of my favourite (and most emotive) spots in the Bay Area.

As to hotels, I second the advice about hotels/motels near the end of the California cable car line. There are also a few in the blocks north of there (Pacific and Broadway near Van Ness) that are ok. There's also a nice place on Hyde near Pacific whose name I am failing to recall right now.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 2:39 am
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

For a good priced hotel in SF try http://www.nobhillhotel.com/ . It is a good price and close enough to Union Sq if you want to do tourist stuff and also close to Polk St & Cow Hollow if you are interested in trying some local bars/restaurants.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
As always, Tripadvisor is your friend too!
I love TripAdvisor. And they just sent me a hat for writing a review.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:44 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by KJ2007
I love TripAdvisor. And they just sent me a hat for writing a review.
They're so thoughtful. I bet you wear it every time you travel!

They sent me a "backpack" (think drawstring bag just big enough to carry my wet swimming trunks back from the beach) and a nice see-through zippy bag to carry my liquids through security.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steerpike

In general, stay clear of hotels 'south of Market'. Market street is the dividing line between the 'good' and the 'bad' parts of town (I know, over-generalizaton, many exceptions, etc, but not a bad rule of thumb - I've worked/lived in SF for over 15 years). Also stay clear of hotels in the 'tenderloin' - the area close to civic center. While it can be overly touristy, a hotel in the Fisherman's Wharf area is not a bad bet for a base for walking. The hotels out on Lombard street are OK if you don't mind driving or bussing into the downtown area. There are a few big tourist hotels on Van Ness right at the end of the California Street cable car line that are not bad. If you can get a discount rate at the newly renovated Hilton in Chinatown, you are golden. The big, big advantage of Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf is that you can walk to almost everything of interest - a big plus in my mind. Parking, however, is going to cost an arm and a leg.

If you want to stay out-of-town and drive or BART in, try the Lafayette Park Hotel in Lafayette, the Marriot in Walnut Creek, or even several of the airport hotels in Burlingame or Millbrae (try the Best Western in Millbrae for a discount place that's not bad). They will all offer free or cheap parking, and are about 30 mins drive from the city center. Lafayette and Walnut Creek offer easier access to the wine country.

My mom is coming to visit soon and I may put her up in a hotel in SF for a few weeks, so I'd be interested in sharing notes!
Hi:

I see you live in SF now. I lived there in the 70's. Your description strikes me as true for the 70's -- but dated NOW. I'm surprised at the change in the South of Market and Tenderloin areas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.