Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

San Fran People: which neigbourhood and why?

San Fran People: which neigbourhood and why?

Old Oct 11th 2014, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Fran People: which neigbourhood and why?

Originally Posted by Michael
To get an idea of what type of living you like, where are you currently living in LA? If we know that, it will be easier to recommend something similar in the bay area.
Like I said, I'm not in LA and the OP states:

"Coffee shops/breweries/supermarkets etc in walking distance"

I currently live in a semi-hip, very walkable neighbourhood with some independent shops, cafes, bars. Would want that *if* I move to SF.

Would prefer smaller units or standalone house rather than large condo complexes but realise that I may have to take whatever I can find. Am used to 'small home living' so not am not expecting a palatial dwelling.

Will check out the suggestions others posted!
Old Oct 11th 2014, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
Um, which other thread? I do not live in LA and would never want to!
My bad. I assumed when you said SoCal in your H-1B woes thread, that was the greater LA area.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 11th 2014 at 7:35 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

N
Been to SF once, and stayed in Palo Alto with a friend and spent one night in a dodgy hostel in downtown. Went to Mission (no way would I want to live there!), Castro (ditto), Nob hill (ditto) and Haight (ditto)...so all those are out as far as I am concerned.
You might get more helpful suggestions if you could be more specific about exactly what you didn't like about the areas that you ruled out. I know what I like (and don't like) about them but I don't know what your issues were.

Its worth remembering that the real "neighborhoods" in San Francisco tend to be quite small so ruling out an entire area just because you didn't like the part of it that you saw on a one day trip to the city may limit your options.

In fact, did you see anything that you actually liked when you were there?
Old Oct 13th 2014, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

McBadger is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Doing some research, recce and scouting about re: San Francisco.

Which neighbourhood do you live in and why?

And what neighbourhood do you suggest for someone with the following requirements:

- Commutable by public transport to Downtown
- Coffee shops/breweries/supermarkets etc in walking distance
- Some sort of green space/dog parks for the four-legger

And yes, I know rental prices are totally insane :s

Appreciate any information!
I was living up my California & Divis in PacHeights. Loved it.

San Francisco Apartments for Rent and San Francisco Rentals - Walk Score

Down on the flat in the Mission is quite bikeable to downtown as well, there's also the added advantage that being on bike from home allows you to live somewhere a bit more dubious, where you wouldn't be that keen to walk around on your own at night.

Muni for the bus is a bit of a slow pain in the ass/arse but is ok, and they do run some express busses. BART / Muni-Lightrail is a lot quicker to downtown.

(Hipster) Coffee shops - EVERYWHERE now...

Not many breweries about really - 21st in downtown, Magnolia over in the Haight, though there is alway toronado over in Lower Haight.

Fort Funston is really popular with the dogs, as is part of Ocean Beach up by Clif House (I think there is some crazy doggy meetup there).

http://www.bringfido.com/attraction/...ancisco_ca_us/
Go for it if you can afford the rental prices

btw, I heard there is a trick about getting a Dr's Note for a pet for "stress" reasons, then they landlord can't refuse it. Don't know how well that works.

Last edited by McBadger; Oct 13th 2014 at 3:39 am.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

No idea Micheal, that's why I am asking those who know!

Been to SF once, and stayed in Palo Alto with a friend and spent one night in a dodgy hostel in downtown. Went to Mission (no way would I want to live there!), Castro (ditto), Nob hill (ditto) and Haight (ditto)...so all those are out as far as I am concerned.

- I want to be able to commute to downtown by public transport
- House or apartment, it doesn't matter: it just needs an outside space of some kind
- No kids, as stated in the OP just a dog
btw, Mission has drastically changed in the past couple of years; well, Valencia and west of there at least.

Nob Hill is old money dull as far as I can tell, but does turn sketchy south of California really quickly.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
You might get more helpful suggestions if you could be more specific about exactly what you didn't like about the areas that you ruled out. I know what I like (and don't like) about them but I don't know what your issues were.

Its worth remembering that the real "neighborhoods" in San Francisco tend to be quite small so ruling out an entire area just because you didn't like the part of it that you saw on a one day trip to the city may limit your options.

In fact, did you see anything that you actually liked when you were there?
I actually spent several days in SF, I just stayed most nights out of the city in Palo Alto and a lot of people have given some very helpful suggestions of places for me to research.

To be honest, I didn't 'fall in love' with SF (well, any of the areas I visited) which is why I want to take a look at some other parts of the city to get a better feel for it before I start pursuing opportunities. I didn't like any of the areas I visited because I felt either unsafe, or they were too crowded or obviously unaffordable for me.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 7:47 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by McBadger
btw, Mission has drastically changed in the past couple of years; well, Valencia and west of there at least.

Nob Hill is old money dull as far as I can tell, but does turn sketchy south of California really quickly.
I think south of Geary maybe.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 7:58 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mskmiller
Hi,

I have lived in San Francisco for three years and love it!

If you are interested in city proper, areas like Pacific Heights, NoPa and the Marina could all fit your request for local everything, parks for the dog and an easy public transport trip downtown.

Check them out...

-K-
What they said.

Dog walking along Crissey Field from living in the Marina/Cow Hollow.

Alternatively live near GG park.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 4:48 am

citizenmarie is an unknown quantity at this point

Pacific Heights, around California and Fillmore. Parks, shops, bars, bus lines. Rents have gone through the roof though. Those of us who moved here well before the madness are hanging on to our apartments for dear life!
Old Oct 26th 2014, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by citizenmarie
Pacific Heights, around California and Fillmore. Parks, shops, bars, bus lines. Rents have gone through the roof though. Those of us who moved here well before the madness are hanging on to our apartments for dear life!
Rented a 1bd inc parking / washing ~650sq Sac&Brod 2008 for $1800pcm, when I left in 2012 it was going for $2300, god only knows what it would go for now.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I actually spent several days in SF, I just stayed most nights out of the city in Palo Alto and a lot of people have given some very helpful suggestions of places for me to research.

To be honest, I didn't 'fall in love' with SF (well, any of the areas I visited) which is why I want to take a look at some other parts of the city to get a better feel for it before I start pursuing opportunities. I didn't like any of the areas I visited because I felt either unsafe, or they were too crowded or obviously unaffordable for me.
What is your budget? If you found many areas 'obviously unaffordable', you probably can't afford places like the Marina (Chestnut St), Pacific Heights (Divisadero/California). Not sure if anyone mentioned Noe Valley, but that's got a lot going for it - just south of Castro but different vibe.

I 'fell in love' with SF 30 years ago but grew tired of it after about 10 years (fog, homeless, no parking ...) and was happy to move to the burbs after about 12 years. I moved to the East Bay (Walnut Creek) and love it, but you might want to try for Rockridge - a younger vibe. The big advantage the East Bay has is BART ... very efficient public transit. Rockridge should have all the things you need. San Mateo also has a great downtown, as Michael described.

What was your take on Palo Alto? Living doesn't get much better than that, in my opinion (University Ave or California Ave areas) - but horrendously expensive.

Where are you currently? Sounds like it's got a lot to offer you.

ETA: be aware, you can typically commute into downtown SF by public transit (especially BART) from outside the city faster than you can from most neighborhoods by MUNI (local bus) - so don't equate distance with time.

Also - re-reading your posts, are you looking to live in the 'city' of San Francisco - the 7 x 7 mile square surrounded by water on three sides, and with a population of less than 1m - or the SF Bay Area - the greater metropolitan area with a population of about 7m?

Last edited by Steerpike; Oct 27th 2014 at 5:32 am.