Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

San Fran People: which neigbourhood and why?

San Fran People: which neigbourhood and why?

Old Oct 10th 2014, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default San Fran People: which neigbourhood and why?

Hi all,

Doing some research, recce and scouting about re: San Francisco.

Which neighbourhood do you live in and why?

And what neighbourhood do you suggest for someone with the following requirements:

- Commutable by public transport to Downtown
- Coffee shops/breweries/supermarkets etc in walking distance
- Some sort of green space/dog parks for the four-legger

And yes, I know rental prices are totally insane :s

Appreciate any information!
Old Oct 10th 2014, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Fran People: which neigbourhood and why?

Just back from there....traffic was horrendous...
Old Oct 10th 2014, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Do you want to live in the city, the peninsula, Marin county, or the east bay?

Do you want a house or an apartment?

Do you have kids and if so, the school district will be important?
Old Oct 11th 2014, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

No idea Micheal, that's why I am asking those who know!

Been to SF once, and stayed in Palo Alto with a friend and spent one night in a dodgy hostel in downtown. Went to Mission (no way would I want to live there!), Castro (ditto), Nob hill (ditto) and Haight (ditto)...so all those are out as far as I am concerned.

- I want to be able to commute to downtown by public transport
- House or apartment, it doesn't matter: it just needs an outside space of some kind
- No kids, as stated in the OP just a dog
Old Oct 11th 2014, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
No idea Micheal, that's why I am asking those who know!

Been to SF once, and stayed in Palo Alto with a friend and spent one night in a dodgy hostel in downtown. Went to Mission (no way would I want to live there!), Castro (ditto), Nob hill (ditto) and Haight (ditto)...so all those are out as far as I am concerned.

- I want to be able to commute to downtown by public transport
- House or apartment, it doesn't matter: it just needs an outside space of some kind
- No kids, as stated in the OP just a dog
Down the peninsula to Millbrae (SFO) has BART and Caltrain and Caltrain goes as far south as you want to go. Caltrain runs through the center of all the cities from south of San Jose to SF so any downtown area of any city on the peninsula would probably work for you. San Mateo to downtown SF on Caltrain is less than 30 minutes on the baby bullet train. San Mateo has a nice downtown with nice apartments and condos within walking distance to the core city. Downtown San Mateo has a large upscale supermarket called Draegers: Home and plenty of restaurants and shops. San Mateo has several dog parks.

San Mateo, CA - Official Website - Dog Parks & Off-Leash Areas

Palo Alto around university avenue probably has everything you want and the commute to downtown SF via the baby bullet Caltrain is about 40 minutes.

Off-Leash Dog Parks in Palo Alto, CA, US

The further south you come down the peninsula, the fog lifts earlier.

Sausalito in Marin county (first town on the other side of the Golden Gate bridge) is really nice and it doesn't get the fog that SF gets. There are regular scheduled ferry boats to SF.

Around Lake Merritt in Oakland is very nice and your dog would love it with lots of open space. There is a BART station at Lake Merritt to downtown SF and if you pick the right apartment, you should be within walking distance to BART and downtown Oakland.

If you bike, both BART and Caltrain has a place for bikes on the trains. If you want to live in SF, others will have more knowledge of the city areas.

Caltrain Weekday Timetable

Golden Gate Ferry

Lake Merritt Area

BART Map & Schedules

Last edited by Michael; Oct 11th 2014 at 1:26 am.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for this, very helpful! And yes, anyone with details of the city areas, please chip in!
Old Oct 11th 2014, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

What's your basis for moving?

Job, salary etc....
Old Oct 11th 2014, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

*Potential* job. Just want to make sure I could hack the city before I pursue the opportunity any further.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sherbert
*Potential* job. Just want to make sure I could hack the city before I pursue the opportunity any further.
In my opinion, if you like LA as indicated in your other thread, you'll love the SF bay area. There is something for everyone in the bay area.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 2:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

To get an idea of what type of living you like, where are you currently living in LA? If we know that, it will be easier to recommend something similar in the bay area.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 5:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
...... There is something for everyone with money in the bay area.
FIFY.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes...you can be stuck in a commute surrounded by a high class of vehicles....
Old Oct 11th 2014, 10:22 am
Just Joined

mskmiller is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I have lived in San Francisco for three years and love it!

If you are interested in city proper, areas like Pacific Heights, NoPa and the Marina could all fit your request for local everything, parks for the dog and an easy public transport trip downtown.

Check them out...

-K-
Old Oct 11th 2014, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

BarryZ1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bernal Heights, Noe Valley... Diamond Heights... all nice...

Last edited by BarryZ1; Oct 11th 2014 at 12:41 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Michael
In my opinion, if you like LA as indicated in your other thread, you'll love the SF bay area. There is something for everyone in the bay area.
Um, which other thread? I do not live in LA and would never want to!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.