British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   San Diego tips (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/san-diego-tips-324613/)

Eskimo Sep 7th 2005 6:03 am

San Diego tips

We are off down to San Diego this weekend, staying on the front in the Embassy Suites. We've been to Seaworld many times so we thought about taking the kids to the zoo and the kids museum. Anyone got any good tips, where to go, what to see, eat, drink etc ?

geordiegirl2 Sep 7th 2005 2:19 pm

Re: San Diego tips

Originally Posted by Eskimo
We are off down to San Diego this weekend, staying on the front in the Embassy Suites. We've been to Seaworld many times so we thought about taking the kids to the zoo and the kids museum. Anyone got any good tips, where to go, what to see, eat, drink etc ?

We did the zoo the last time we were there and it was fab, the kids loved it, we ate at a resturant inside the zoo too which was really good too but can't think of the name.

Ray Sep 7th 2005 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2
We did the zoo the last time we were there and it was fab, the kids loved it, we ate at a resturant inside the zoo too which was really good too but can't think of the name.

it could be ...
Thorntree Terrace
Mombasa Island Cooker
Okavango Outpost

All do burger and chips ...

Ozzidoc Sep 7th 2005 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Eskimo

Try looking at www.sdreader.com

2nd Sat of the month is Ray Street Art Exhibition, in North Park. It's free.

Old Town - some people like this, I don't personally as there are too many tourists. Free again.

The navy ship in the harbour - buggered if I can remember it's name. Think it's 10 or 12 bucks.

Love the zoo - get there early if you can.

Balboa Park - there's loads to do here, various museums ($$). Not sure as to what's suitable for kids, tho there is the Fleet Science museum with an IMAX which is supposed to be fab. I really love the botanical gardens (free) there - not too big at all, so the kids wouldnt get bored, and there r plants from all over the world....(I found one there that I saw in Cuba... it has sensors.... .when u touch the leaves, it immediately closes up!! Fun for all the family! (Yes, I am a saddo.))

Do u have a car?...
La Jolla - walk along the shoreline/ watch the seals...or if u have the cash, book a little kayaking adventure.

Fab pizza can be found cheaply at "The Bronx" in Hillcrest - can get u more details if u want.

Have fun - I'm here until Monday, then back to Blighty.

Eskimo Sep 7th 2005 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Try looking at www.sdreader.com

2nd Sat of the month is Ray Street Art Exhibition, in North Park. It's free.

Old Town - some people like this, I don't personally as there are too many tourists. Free again.

The navy ship in the harbour - buggered if I can remember it's name. Think it's 10 or 12 bucks.

Balboa Park - there's loads to do here, various museums ($$). Not sure as to what's suitable for kids, tho there is the Fleet Science museum with an IMAX which is supposed to be fab. I really love the botanical gardens (free) there - not too big at all, so the kids wouldnt get bored, and there r plants from all over the world....(I found one there that I saw in Cuba... it has sensors.... .when u touch the leaves, it immediately closes up!! Fun for all the family! (Yes, I am a saddo.))

Do u have a car?...
La Jolla - walk along the shoreline/ watch the seals...or if u have the cash, book a little kayaking adventure.

Fab pizza can be found cheaply at "The Bronx" in Hillcrest - can get u more details if u want.

Have fun - I'm here until Monday, then back to Blighty.

wow !! thanks for the info will follow this up ..we have a car (we are driving down from home in LA) looks like lots to do - cheers :D

Celsius Sep 7th 2005 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
it could be ...
Thorntree Terrace
Mombasa Island Cooker
Okavango Outpost

Do the burgers contain any deceased residents of the zoo? :eek:

Ray Sep 7th 2005 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Celsius
Do the burgers contain any deceased residents of the zoo? :eek:

Penguin.....

cutina Sep 7th 2005 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Penguin.....

well that explains why the food at the zoo tasted so bad... :)

Philgr Sep 7th 2005 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

The Zoo also has a sister site - The Wild Animal Park - which is north of San Diego (~ 25 miles I think) and also v good.

AmerLisa Sep 7th 2005 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Philgr
The Zoo also has a sister site - The Wild Animal Park - which is north of San Diego (~ 25 miles I think) and also v good.

Been to the Wild Animal Park, but quite a few years back now (10 probably) it was pretty good then....

geordiegirl2 Sep 7th 2005 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
it could be ...
Thorntree Terrace
Mombasa Island Cooker
Okavango Outpost

no that was what was so nice about it it wasn't a burger and chips place, reasonably good selection of food, proper cutlery, cloth napkins etc, it was above a burger and chip place

Ray Sep 7th 2005 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2
no that was what was so nice about it it wasn't a burger and chips place, reasonably good selection of food, proper cutlery, cloth napkins etc, it was above a burger and chip place

Sorry..I mean't really expensiver burger and chips ...with proper cutlery, cloth napkins etc

geordiegirl2 Sep 7th 2005 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Sorry..I mean't really expensiver burger and chips ...with proper cutlery, cloth napkins etc

lol i think i had crab cakes!!!

Ray Sep 7th 2005 8:41 pm

Sorry..I mean't really expensiver burger and chips even crabcakes ...with proper cutlery, cloth napkins etc

geordiegirl2 Sep 7th 2005 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Sorry..I mean't really expensiver burger and chips even crabcakes ...with proper cutlery, cloth napkins etc

i've just read again what i wrote i meant physically above as in the floor above.