Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

San Diego or DC?

San Diego or DC?

Old Nov 26th 2016, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

MattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to all
Default San Diego or DC?

So after 20 years in Portland, Oregon my company is wrapping up its operations here and have asked me to move to their San Diego office. However, my wife wants to use this change in circumstances to move to Washington DC so she can be close to her family.

San Diego would be a much easier move for me as I get to keep my job and client network that took years to build, and my brother and his wife live there. Moving to DC would be a major expense and hassle, and I honestly have no desire to leave the west coast. However, it might give me the opportunity to make more frequent trips to the UK which I will soon need to do as my parents enter old age.

Personal reasons aside I would be curious to know if other people have had to choose between these cities and what your preferences were? Thanks.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 4:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Diego or DC?

Originally Posted by MattOR
So after 20 years in Portland, Oregon my company is wrapping up its operations here and have asked me to move to their San Diego office. However, my wife wants to use this change in circumstances to move to Washington DC so she can be close to her family.

San Diego would be a much easier move for me as I get to keep my job and client network that took years to build, and my brother and his wife live there. Moving to DC would be a major expense and hassle, and I honestly have no desire to leave the west coast. However, it might give me the opportunity to make more frequent trips to the UK which I will soon need to do as my parents enter old age.

Personal reasons aside I would be curious to know if other people have had to choose between these cities and what your preferences were? Thanks.

Both would be near the top of my list. Both cities are ideally placed...ideal for exploring both east and west coasts. Of course D.C. is better placed for trips back to the UK...but SD has a better climate. Both cities have natural beauty a few hours way.

I would make a 'pros and cons' list and go from there.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 26th 2016 at 4:41 am.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You say if you move to San Diego you keep your job.

So, if you move to Washington DC does this mean you lose your job?

If so, would this not be THE major consideration between San Diego and Washington?
Old Nov 26th 2016, 5:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am biased (San Diego is my hometown) so I will go with San Diego over DC.

San Diego also has daily non-stop service on British Airways so no need to connect via LAX or Phoenix, or somewhere back east.

Of the lower 48 states, you really cannot get a better climate, although if one enjoys rain San Diego may not be the best place...

San Diego while it has grown, is still smaller and more laid back then it's big sister to the North, and the Marine base in the northern region of the county, keeps Orange County and the LA sprawl from invading. Downtown is right on the bay giving awesome views, airport 3 miles from downtown also on the bay.

Coast to mountains to desert all in under 90 mins, skiing only a couple hours away.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 26th 2016 at 5:50 am.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

MattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You say if you move to San Diego you keep your job.

So, if you move to Washington DC does this mean you lose your job?

If so, would this not be THE major consideration between San Diego and Washington?
Yes and yes. For me San Diego is a no brainer but I need to think of my wife as well. Maybe I'm being selfish but I really do not want to live in DC. Just hoping someone can change my mind.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 8:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a wife and I am living in a State that I do not want to live in. However, my husband wanted to live here and so I gave in and moved here against my better judgment. So far, it is working out but and it is a bloody big BUT

I am retired. We are both retired and live on pensions and ss benefits. So for us the move meant leaving where I loved living to experience something new and the only change was the scenery.

For yourself, and yes, for your wife, as well, the change is much greater and has ramifications that can destroy the life you have been living. What if you can't find employment in the DC area? What if the salary is far less than what you were earning and the cost of living is higher than it was in Portland. The financial reversal will impact her greatly and being closer to her family is moot as they are not going to be kicking in the missing salary to offset your financial loss. She has been away from her family for 20 years. She will never be able to fit back into the slot that she left 20 years earlier.

Making a change is difficult as you know and have lived through with coming to the US. To make a change again, means compromise on both your parts. Perhaps taking the job in SD and making frequent visits back to DC for the holiday or her being able to visit for a month or so on her own will help her adjust to being on the west coast instead of the east coast.

How close are you to retirement? Perhaps a good compromise would be to move to the east coast when you retire. Or purchasing a three season place on the Chesapeake Bay for you to vacation in and for her to stay in when she visits.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 26th 2016 at 8:43 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and yes. For me San Diego is a no brainer but I need to think of my wife as well. Maybe I'm being selfish but I really do not want to live in DC. Just hoping someone can change my mind.
How confident are you of getting a job in Washington? What if you did not get a job for a few months? Do you sufficient savings to support you until you do?

Is it a case of starting all over again in Washington DC?

For me, the difference between life on the west coast and east coast would be secondary to whether I could get a job ! No income in Washington would be the deciding factor.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Spent a year in San Diego. Didn't really appreciate it while I was there as was too busy with adjusting and the admin that comes with an international move. They describe it as 'America's Finest City' and in hindsight, I believe it really is one of the best places in the country to live. Climate is perfect, you are close to L.A if you need 'big city vibes', San Diego airport is sparkly new and efficient and has loads of great connections, cost of living is lower than DC, NYC, SF etc (although it's not cheap), great beaches, you can get to snow and mountains within a few hours if you need, great beer, great food...sigh...
Old Nov 26th 2016, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
Spent a year in San Diego. Didn't really appreciate it while I was there as was too busy with adjusting and the admin that comes with an international move. They describe it as 'America's Finest City' and in hindsight, I believe it really is one of the best places in the country to live. Climate is perfect, you are close to L.A if you need 'big city vibes', San Diego airport is sparkly new and efficient and has loads of great connections, cost of living is lower than DC, NYC, SF etc (although it's not cheap), great beaches, you can get to snow and mountains within a few hours if you need, great beer, great food...sigh...
Some parts of the airport are new and sparkly. The airport there depending on terminal is as new as 2 and as old as 1960's.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am biased (San Diego is my hometown) so I will go with San Diego over DC.

San Diego also has daily non-stop service on British Airways so no need to connect via LAX or Phoenix, or somewhere back east.

Of the lower 48 states, you really cannot get a better climate, although if one enjoys rain San Diego may not be the best place...

San Diego while it has grown, is still smaller and more laid back then it's big sister to the North, and the Marine base in the northern region of the county, keeps Orange County and the LA sprawl from invading. Downtown is right on the bay giving awesome views, airport 3 miles from downtown also on the bay.

Coast to mountains to desert all in under 90 mins, skiing only a couple hours away.
My folks certainly appreciate that direct flight but I never understood how you get a loaded 747 off that runway.

You sure can't beat that So Cal sun. It started raining here in September and has not stopped since. There is much I will miss about Oregon but not that...

Last edited by MattOR; Nov 27th 2016 at 5:15 am.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

My folks certainly appreciate that direct flight but I never understood how you get a loaded 747 off that runway.

You sure can't beat that So Cal sun. It started raining here in September and has not stopped since. There is much I will miss about Oregon but not that...
I am so sick of the rain the rain is really the only big downside to coastal PNW and South Coastal BC.

we have pretty much had rain everyday now for 2 months.

29 out of 31 days in October and 25 out of the 27 in November so far.

8" of rain in October and almost 8" for November. Some areas have gotten over 11".

Times like this are when I was back in San Diego where the sun is out most of the year, makes winter far easier to deal with when the sun is out often.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am so sick of the rain the rain is really the only big downside to coastal PNW and South Coastal BC.

we have pretty much had rain everyday now for 2 months.

29 out of 31 days in October and 25 out of the 27 in November so far.

8" of rain in October and almost 8" for November. Some areas have gotten over 11".
That's a lot. Here further down it's good news if we have rain. Whenever there's rain (nothing like there, but fortunately it's been more often than normal recently) it's the first item on the news. Our restrictions have been lifted.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 4:35 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

My primary concerns would be ability to pay the bills adequately and maintaining the peace and happiness in the marriage/home.

If you can do both in either city I would go San Diego. Wonderful place to live, but of course I am slightly biased
Old Nov 28th 2016, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

VeryVeritas is an unknown quantity at this point

Having lived in all three areas, I think you will have an easier time acclimating to San Diego coming from Portland. DC is a whole different milieu. I love the culture in DC and the proximity to NYC, but the bottom line for most people is the day to day existence, the economic impact. The traffic in the DC area, most of the NE seaboard, is pretty daunting (people could argue the same about SoCal). You don't have to deal with hurricanes. DC is also easily shut down by snow storms. The quality of life in terms of out door activities is probably higher in San Diego. But honestly it is apples and oranges. I once made a move solely to be near family and for me it was a mistake, so will admit that would color my thinking a bit.