Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

San Diego, CA - Advice/Suggestions

San Diego, CA - Advice/Suggestions

Old Mar 3rd 2011, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Blimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud of
Default San Diego, CA - Advice/Suggestions

Hi all,

We are off to San Diego on monday to do a recce trip. We will be staying in the Kensington area and thought we would ask for some suggestions on here for good areas to look at for settling in!

We are a family of four - myself, wife (USC), Son (16) and daughter (nearly 4). We have already done some research ourselves online but know there must be people on here who know the area and whats good/bad!! I will be looking for work in the IT field (Cisco Network Engineer) when we eventually move but would be happier living in a good area and commuting further if necessary.

We are looking for a mixture of reasonably good schools and relatively inexpensive rent (hens teeth I hear you cry!!!!).

Thanks in advance

Blimmer

P.S. If anyone knows a good realtor to register with please feel free to recommend (have heard it can be a minefield!!!!)

Last edited by Blimmer; Mar 3rd 2011 at 9:49 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

sdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nice
Default Re: San Diego, CA - Advice/Suggestions

I like South Park, it has a good mixture of independent shops and restaurants and bars. Is close to downtown, freeways, airport and Balboa Park. Typically the houses are older. I've no idea about schools though.

If you're looking for more of a 'cookie cutter', strip mall and safe neighbourhood then Carmel Valley, Sorrento Valley, Sorrento Mesa, etc. You'll also get some gret schools in these areas.

I'd be interested to know where your research led you.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 12:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of commute would you be willing to put up with?
Old Mar 4th 2011, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You say that you are looking for work, so, potentially, you could end up anywhere in San Diego county - so don't discount North San Diego County.

It has some very good school districts, family oriented neighbourhoods and good amenities. Poway, Rancho Bernardo, Scripps Ranch comes to mind
Old Mar 4th 2011, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Blimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sdbritguy
I like South Park, it has a good mixture of independent shops and restaurants and bars. Is close to downtown, freeways, airport and Balboa Park. Typically the houses are older. I've no idea about schools though.

If you're looking for more of a 'cookie cutter', strip mall and safe neighbourhood then Carmel Valley, Sorrento Valley, Sorrento Mesa, etc. You'll also get some gret schools in these areas.

I'd be interested to know where your research led you.
Thanks for the info, will look into South Park etc. Our research has mainly been based around schools, north San Diego seems to be the best area for this, Poway in particular.

Last edited by Blimmer; Mar 4th 2011 at 11:36 am.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
What kind of commute would you be willing to put up with?
I guess an hour is kinda what I am expecting. This is what I currently do in the UK and am well used to it

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You say that you are looking for work, so, potentially, you could end up anywhere in San Diego county - so don't discount North San Diego County.

It has some very good school districts, family oriented neighbourhoods and good amenities. Poway, Rancho Bernardo, Scripps Ranch comes to mind
Thanks for the info, Poway does seem to have a good reputation so I think we will definitely be taking a drive up there!!
Old Mar 4th 2011, 6:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blimmer
I guess an hour is kinda what I am expecting. This is what I currently do in the UK and am well used to it

No idea how bad the traffic is out that way, but an hour could be only as far as 10 miles in the morning in a car.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 4:55 am
redruM

southerncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nice

Kensington is a nice area in its self but the local schools don't seem so great.
City Heights, just down the road, is an area to avoid. La Jolla, Del Mar and Solana Beach to the North are all very nice places to live but are maybe a bit further than you would like to travel. North park and South park both have lively communities. We live about 5 minutes (drive that is) from Kensington and it takes my wife about 25 minutes to get to work up in La Jolla If she leaves the house after 8 am its nearer to a 35 minute commute.

If you have the opportunity check out the Kensington Vine wine bar at the end of Adams Ave (4187). They have excellent Pinots and do a great cheese plate.

Last edited by southerncomfort; Mar 5th 2011 at 4:57 am.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 5:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerncomfort
Kensington is a nice area in its self but the local schools don't seem so great.
City Heights, just down the road, is an area to avoid. La Jolla, Del Mar and Solana Beach to the North are all very nice places to live but are maybe a bit further than you would like to travel. North park and South park both have lively communities. We live about 5 minutes (drive that is) from Kensington and it takes my wife about 25 minutes to get to work up in La Jolla If she leaves the house after 8 am its nearer to a 35 minute commute.

If you have the opportunity check out the Kensington Vine wine bar at the end of Adams Ave (4187). They have excellent Pinots and do a great cheese plate.
City heights is really improving and is not nearly as bad as people like to make it seem, while not for everyone, its hardly a bad area and certainly not one to avoid.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

joannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to all

There are some fantastic areas in and around SD, (and as someone else mentioned, city heights has improved a lot, I have friends who just bought a house there.)
If you don't mind a commute, Carlsbad is has also come a long way, really great beaches, good schools, and the property is slightly more affordable. however, the commute might be a major factor in your decisions, it can be really bad going into downtown SD. La Jolla is stunning, and you'll fall in love with it! but, property prices are high, hence my suggestion of Carlsbad. We are from San CLemente, and a lot of our friends moved down that way.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by southerncomfort

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
City heights is really improving and is not nearly as bad as people like to make it seem, while not for everyone, its hardly a bad area and certainly not one to avoid.
Originally Posted by joannabanana
There are some fantastic areas in and around SD, (and as someone else mentioned, city heights has improved a lot, I have friends who just bought a house there.)
If you don't mind a commute, Carlsbad is has also come a long way, really great beaches, good schools, and the property is slightly more affordable. however, the commute might be a major factor in your decisions, it can be really bad going into downtown SD. La Jolla is stunning, and you'll fall in love with it! but, property prices are high, hence my suggestion of Carlsbad. We are from San CLemente, and a lot of our friends moved down that way.
Thanks all for your suggestions, flight is tomorrow morning will let you know how we get on!!!!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blimmer
Thanks for the info, will look into South Park etc. Our research has mainly been based around schools, north San Diego seems to be the best area for this, Poway in particular.
That area appears to have the best schools.

http://schoolperformancemaps.com/ca/...18378%2C10%2C1
Old Mar 6th 2011, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
That area appears to have the best schools.

http://schoolperformancemaps.com/ca/...18378%2C10%2C1
Poway tends to be on the wealthier side, so they get the better schools, the lower income area's which some are very nice places get shafted because their schools receive less funding.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Poway tends to be on the wealthier side, so they get the better schools, the lower income area's which some are very nice places get shafted because their schools receive less funding.
Less funding is part of the problem but it is also genes, sufficient family income, and the parents and peers outlook on the importance of education that also are major contributing factors. All of those are a given in a wealthly school district.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 6th 2011 at 11:33 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I can highly recommend Tammy Robbins

TR Realty & TR Mortgage

DRE# 01441811

Office: (619)699-7301
Fax: (619)239-1586

Tammy found us the perfect house. She was very patient with us! Feel free to PM me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.