San Diego

Old Oct 4th 2011, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

melmes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: San Diego

Originally Posted by Bob
As a bloke, hope you've filed your SS requirements and the taxes.

Though why didn't you guys just get married in the UK and pursue visa that way than waste money on the K1 and then having to adjust status for a greencard afterwards? Not to mention having a whole in work authorisation.

Good luck though, but as for SD, have a look back a page or so, as there was a very recent thread on the city and quite a few others in the past to get you started as well as city-data.com
Well I physically have my social security card as for tax that is something I still have to look into??

We were both going to get married in the UK - just a quiet, small, cheap registry office type affair but my fiance's family is quite large and was turning into something neither of us wanted so told a little white lie that we had to get married in the states for the her visa to work

We know it is going to cause more hassle when we get over but it will be better than having the whole fan-fare wedding getting married in the UK was going to cause.

Thanks for the infomation.

Matt
Old Oct 4th 2011, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Be aware that those kind of jobs typically don't bring health insurance with them. Which means you're likely in the world of pain that is the individual policy health insurance market.
I've gathered that, though some of the bigger operators do seem to offer health and dental, but healthcare is yet another thing on the long list we will be researching .........
Old Oct 4th 2011, 7:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melmes
Well I physically have my social security card as for tax that is something I still have to look into??

We were both going to get married in the UK - just a quiet, small, cheap registry office type affair but my fiance's family is quite large and was turning into something neither of us wanted so told a little white lie that we had to get married in the states for the her visa to work

We know it is going to cause more hassle when we get over but it will be better than having the whole fan-fare wedding getting married in the UK was going to cause.

Thanks for the infomation.

Matt
SS- Selective Service...signing up for the draft rigmarole. The IRS tax thign, probably wouldn't have any taxes to pay, but the filing is a good thing to do, plus you need a few years worth for the visa anyway.

It's another grand or there abouts to AOS after you've married in the US on the K1.

You could have just done a civil service, not told anyone, gotten the visa and then had the whole song and dance in the US and no one would have a clue.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
SS- Selective Service...signing up for the draft rigmarole. The IRS tax thign, probably wouldn't have any taxes to pay, but the filing is a good thing to do, plus you need a few years worth for the visa anyway.

It's another grand or there abouts to AOS after you've married in the US on the K1.

You could have just done a civil service, not told anyone, gotten the visa and then had the whole song and dance in the US and no one would have a clue.
I could've quite easily gone for the civil service and not let on but unfortunately 'someone else' couldn't.......
Old Oct 4th 2011, 7:57 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I could've quite easily gone for the civil service and not let on but unfortunately 'someone else' couldn't.......
I don't blame her. How do you keep the fact that you got married a secret?
Old Oct 4th 2011, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I'll take a look at these areas also, (but maybe give La Jolla a miss)

don't get me wrong - we are in our early thirty's so our 24/7 partying days are behind us, we really looking for a cool youngish inhabited neighborhood with bars/cafe and restaurants, stuff going on but i suppose if your close to the beach you are inevitably going to get the late night full on party atmosphere?

sorry not really making myself very clear but i suppose it's something we're going to have to discover for ourselves once we arrive.

Matt
You should look at Encinitas then. Some nice bistro'y type restaurants and wine bars, good beaches and fun shopping.

Good housing around too - not just on the beach.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 9:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I don't blame her. How do you keep the fact that you got married a secret?
By keeping your big trap shut

A grands a big chunk of change after all.

Or, go with the flow and have two services in both countries so you can bleed more friends and family dry in the shower of gifts, but have only one be an official service and the other the ceremony
Old Oct 4th 2011, 10:38 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
By keeping your big trap shut
That's the bit I fall down on in everything in my life
Old Oct 5th 2011, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Just a heads up: getting barwork at a good bar or restaurant that tips well is going to require patience and tenacity - those jobs are highly sought after.

I hate to say it, but in San Diego it will probably help a lot if you are both good looking.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Just a heads up: getting barwork at a good bar or restaurant that tips well is going to require patience and tenacity - those jobs are highly sought after.

I hate to say it, but in San Diego it will probably help a lot if you are both good looking.
+1!

And if you are good looking... you might be interested in some of the Del Mar bars/restaurants
Old Oct 5th 2011, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by caleyjag

Well this is not just in San Diego, to work in the nicer establishments worldwide you have to have the appearance that, how should i put it?............is pleasing to the eye.
It is always something I have looked for when hiring staff.

Not that I can really comment but I think we are an young(ish) attractive couple.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 10:13 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Consider working in a hotel.

Bars+Restaurants+Benefits
Old Oct 5th 2011, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

deftoneuk is on a distinguished road

San Diego is a nice city, my company (Solar Turbines) has its HQ there right by the airport.

If you go to a bar called the Tilted Kilt down by the ballpark, they have Tennents on tap
Old Oct 5th 2011, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by deftoneuk
San Diego is a nice city, my company (Solar Turbines) has its HQ there right by the airport.

If you go to a bar called the Tilted Kilt down by the ballpark, they have Tennents on tap
Although I love Scotland dearly (apart from the weather) and will miss a lot of things, Tennants larger certainly won't be one of them, also the idea of going into a faux Scottish tilted kilt chain bar sends shivers through me. thanks for the heads up though.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

For PB, OB and MB, this agency does a lot of rentals: www.pennyrealty.com. Look on their 'long term rentals' section as they also do vacation rentals. Mission Beach is going to be expensive and is mostly vacation rentals. With any of these neighborhoods you might want to see if you can get a month by month rental to see how you like living there rather than signing up a long term contract. Whilst it is great to be near the beach and the bars, there are some definite downsides as well. I lived in a supposedly quieter part of PB for a year or so and got very fed up of being woken up by my student neighbors rolling in drunk every night when I had to get up for work the next morning!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.