San Diego

Old Apr 30th 2009, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Diego

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
I thought home prices have dropped tremendously? Enfact a buddy of mine who lives in calsbad (near SD) told me that prices have gone down over 30% in the last two years. Is he correct?
Yes. But it's still expensive
Old May 1st 2009, 1:33 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Yes. But it's still expensive
I'm told that it is now possible to buy a very nice 3bd,2bth home in the SD area for about $500k. That is expensive but much better than in previous years.
Old May 1st 2009, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
I'm told that it is now possible to buy a very nice 3bd,2bth home in the SD area for about $500k. That is expensive but much better than in previous years.
We are looking for our next home. We want to spend about 500K - realistically we need 600K for a 3BR 1bth home in a nice area that's not too far inland. (eg Carmel Valley - 92130) It depends where you want to be. Hubby cant stand the heat. In the area that I want us to buy (Normal Heights/North North Park), we'd need 900K or more.

It's important to be aware of the different micro-climates in the San Diego area (there are approx 80 of them).
Old May 1st 2009, 5:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the median listing price is approx 399,000 for the county.

http://www.housingtracker.net/asking...ego-california
Old May 1st 2009, 5:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We are looking for our next home. We want to spend about 500K - realistically we need 600K for a 3BR 1bth home in a nice area that's not too far inland. (eg Carmel Valley - 92130) It depends where you want to be. Hubby cant stand the heat. In the area that I want us to buy (Normal Heights/North North Park), we'd need 900K or more.

It's important to be aware of the different micro-climates in the San Diego area (there are approx 80 of them).
And to think my aunt bought her house in North Park in the 70's and nothing compared to today's prices, she sold a few years back for 800 something, small little house too.
Old May 1st 2009, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Looks like the median listing price is approx 399,000 for the county.

http://www.housingtracker.net/asking...ego-california
That includes condos too, right?

We bought our condo (a 1br) for 280K five years ago. A similar one in our block has just sold for 180K.
Old May 1st 2009, 8:01 pm
Banned

YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

I have the sense there are some very good deals out there to be had.Yes,there are still a few sellers who attempt to get 2006 prices for their property in 2009 but if left unsold on the market long enough those prices will be reduced. Might have to go a little further out from SD to locations like Carlsbad but the price point,safety factor and location can be well worth it.
Old May 1st 2009, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

The areas that have dropped the most are where the price run ups were also the biggest so the inland areas, Chula Vista and downtown. In the more desirable areas - Mission Hills, Point Loma, La Jolla, Carmel Valley the declines are smaller and slower, but they may still have further to fall.

We recently bought in the Bay Park area and I love it - 10 minutes drive to downtown, the beach and La Jolla and close enough to walk to Mission Bay Park.

I think we got a good deal even if prices do decline a little more, but I agree that there are still many sellers out there who are not being realistic about their prices - there are many homes I looked at a year ago that are still on the market now.
Old May 1st 2009, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That includes condos too, right?

We bought our condo (a 1br) for 280K five years ago. A similar one in our block has just sold for 180K.
Carmel Valley.
Old May 1st 2009, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Socal Local
The areas that have dropped the most are where the price run ups were also the biggest so the inland areas, Chula Vista and downtown. In the more desirable areas - Mission Hills, Point Loma, La Jolla, Carmel Valley the declines are smaller and slower, but they may still have further to fall.

We recently bought in the Bay Park area and I love it - 10 minutes drive to downtown, the beach and La Jolla and close enough to walk to Mission Bay Park.

I think we got a good deal even if prices do decline a little more, but I agree that there are still many sellers out there who are not being realistic about their prices - there are many homes I looked at a year ago that are still on the market now.
They probably owe too much and can't go any lower in price.
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Northern California (Bay Area) and have traveled the US far and wide. San Diego is the only other place I'd consider living. The biggest drawback is going to be cost of living (housing). If you are going to be getting a good job with high pay and some stability, then you could be fine with the housing market the way it is - but be aware, you are going to need 20% down and no more than 45% debt-to-income ratio; having a lack of employment history could also count against you in today's mortgage market (getting a loan is now TOUGH!). San Diego is 'laid back' - it's hard to explain what that means exactly, but ... the people are friendly, the sun shines ... life is good ...

If you don't mind the generally much-colder weather, Canada is going to have a more 'European style' to it (politically/economically) and you may have less worries about medical issues. A good friend of mine has a weird 'sleep' condition and he simply could not get his insurance to cover him in the US. He moved to Vancouver, got residency almost immediately, and is now getting excellent treatment (his situation has gone on for over 5 years ... he simply cannot get to the bottom of why he can't sleep ... weird shit). Vancouver is the only place in Canada that I would consider.
Old May 4th 2009, 4:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I live in Northern California (Bay Area) and have traveled the US far and wide. San Diego is the only other place I'd consider living. The biggest drawback is going to be cost of living (housing). If you are going to be getting a good job with high pay and some stability, then you could be fine with the housing market the way it is - but be aware, you are going to need 20% down and no more than 45% debt-to-income ratio; having a lack of employment history could also count against you in today's mortgage market (getting a loan is now TOUGH!). San Diego is 'laid back' - it's hard to explain what that means exactly, but ... the people are friendly, the sun shines ... life is good ...

If you don't mind the generally much-colder weather, Canada is going to have a more 'European style' to it (politically/economically) and you may have less worries about medical issues. A good friend of mine has a weird 'sleep' condition and he simply could not get his insurance to cover him in the US. He moved to Vancouver, got residency almost immediately, and is now getting excellent treatment (his situation has gone on for over 5 years ... he simply cannot get to the bottom of why he can't sleep ... weird shit). Vancouver is the only place in Canada that I would consider.
Curious! Why is Vancouver the only place in Canada you would consider?
Old May 4th 2009, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m.../090504geo.jpg

Link to a micro-climate map.
Old May 4th 2009, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

Neat map.

Many dont understand the many climates of Southern California. For instance when visiting family last June it was during a heatwave, I started on J Street in Chula Vista on the bay, where it was 82F and drove down H street to Target in Eastlake where it was 98F all in a 10 mile drive or so from the coast.
Old May 6th 2009, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

We have just moved from San Diego to the Bay Area and have to say that we prefer the Bay Area to San Diego. IMHO, I think of San Diego as a piece of fairy floss, all light and airy with no substance, it's like a splash of vanilla on your walls. Nothing really happens there and it seems to spend a lot of time trying to be the "in" place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.