Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

San Antonio TX Anyone??

San Antonio TX Anyone??

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

TexanRose has a brilliant futureTexanRose has a brilliant futureTexanRose has a brilliant futureTexanRose has a brilliant futureTexanRose has a brilliant futureTexanRose has a brilliant future
Default Re: San Antonio TX Anyone??

Never lived in California but have a number of comfortably off friends who have lived in California and they have all said the same - it is virtually impossible to live a good lifestyle in California without a salary of $150K a year. And they also said they found most of the people there very shallow. I guess you take it as you find it!

I personally love Texas - yes, I hate the fact that you have to do serious searching around to find good quality meat and veg (I am a passionate cook), that it is hard to find a good little bistro and that the drivers are maniacs that will race you before they let you change lanes LOL! But I have found a lot of good things here. I'm liking it.

Dukey, are we the only two on here that are from SA?
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Me too, and yes agree with you drivers are a nightmare,but people are friendly and I like living here.
Lived in Ca for a couple of years and hated it too expensive and if it is so good there why is everyone trying to get out ?
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

TexanRose has a brilliant futureTexanRose has a brilliant futureTexanRose has a brilliant futureTexanRose has a brilliant futureTexanRose has a brilliant futureTexanRose has a brilliant future

yes, I can't believe how many times I hear people say that they have moved from California. I think it is a bit like the Brits who go out to Spain thinking they are going to live the high life and then find out that work is work wherever you go. LOL! I know that a couple of US male friends who went out to California both said that they found it really difficult to get women to date them because they only earned 100K a year and most of them are looking for seriously wealthy husbands or guys in the movie business! And one of them is a very good looking Italian guy so it is nothing to do with looks. Whatever, each to their own.

I too find the people here very friendly. I broke down in HEB carpark and within a few minutes I had three guys around me who pushed my car into a parking spot and offering me lifts and help. I like the weather here - whether you are working or studying during the day, it is lovely to have the warm evenings and be able to sit on the patio with a glass of wine.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

ADREW12 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TexanRose
Never lived in California but have a number of comfortably off friends who have lived in California and they have all said the same - it is virtually impossible to live a good lifestyle in California without a salary of $150K a year. And they also said they found most of the people there very shallow. I guess you take it as you find it!

I personally love Texas - yes, I hate the fact that you have to do serious searching around to find good quality meat and veg (I am a passionate cook), that it is hard to find a good little bistro and that the drivers are maniacs that will race you before they let you change lanes LOL! But I have found a lot of good things here. I'm liking it.

Dukey, are we the only two on here that are from SA?
MAKE THAT THREE

Last edited by ADREW12; Dec 4th 2007 at 2:58 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Three plus me and VJS anyone else ?
Old Dec 4th 2007, 4:16 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

I know there are plenty of English people around here. You only have to check out the Lion and Rose during an England game to see it for yourself!!!!
Old Dec 10th 2007, 1:11 pm
VJS
Forum Regular

VJS is just really niceVJS is just really niceVJS is just really niceVJS is just really niceVJS is just really niceVJS is just really niceVJS is just really niceVJS is just really nice

MEET UP!!!!!

When
Monday, December 17 at 8:00PM

Where
Lion and Rose
700 E. Sonterra Blvd. #318,San Antonio
San Antonio TX 78258
Tel: 210-798-5466
Old Dec 10th 2007, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

ADREW12 is on a distinguished road

Native TEXAN.......TEXAS LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT.....
Old Dec 11th 2007, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

polar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the rough

Hi, first post on here - I'm wayyyy down in McAllen

We got married in San Antonio 2 years ago and it is a wonderful city.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 1:08 am
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by polar_bear

We got married in San Antonio 2 years ago and it is a wonderful city.

Do they have polar bears down there?
Old Dec 15th 2007, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

polar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the rough

One polar bear and a few hundred thousand Mexicans
Old Dec 15th 2007, 7:36 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by polar_bear
My goodness but you are south!

I spent lots of time as a child in the Valley on my grandparents' farm. (I'm a native Texan, an Anglophile, and married to a Dutchman.)

What takes you to McA?

Amy
Old Dec 15th 2007, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Got married to a Valley girl, we lived in London for 3 years and moved to McAllen 3 months ago. It's great here! Kinda like being in Mexico but without the poverty and corruption. The food is great
Old Dec 19th 2007, 9:05 pm
The destruct-a-bunny

weazie will become famous soon enoughweazie will become famous soon enough

Ive been living in San Antonio, in the medical centre full time since this Feb, My husband and I got married in the courthouse in March- our marriage certifcate looks like a bit of kindergarten homework!

2 good things i can say about SA is that the weather is gorgeous and the people are the nicest people Ive ever met. People have taken us under their wing and invited us to join their family easter/ july 4th/ thanksgiving celebrations. I dont drive here yet and we didnt have a car for 4 months (ekkkk) and people were so ready to help us out giivng us rides places. It makes me feel ashamed of how rude people in Britian can be.

That said Im not sure theres much else I like about SA.

I went to the meet-up at the Lion and Rose with VJS. And dukeynorton, if your reading this, VJS says that your living in the medical centre too. I've got a BS in Biology and am having a hard time finding work. VJS said you might have some 'sweet' contacts!!
Old Dec 19th 2007, 9:28 pm
You're all mugs!

Hi Weazie,

Yeh I might be able to help you out on the job front. I could probably point you in the right direction depending on your skills/experience. I work in the HSC here and there are always tech jobs going. They usually get dished out internally so it can be quite hard to get your foot in the door. I live literally 5 mins walk from the medical center.

If you want to pm me, I can give you my contact details.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.