Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

San Antonio AOS timeline please help!

San Antonio AOS timeline please help!

Old Apr 8th 2002, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

Janna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default San Antonio AOS timeline please help!

Dear people,
I would like to know if anyone has an insight into timeline for an AOS at San Antonio INS District Center. Specifically, I would like to know the timespan between fingerprinting appointment and AOS interview. How many months?

I think people who already got their stamps in passports just don't appear anymore on our forums and you encounter only people who don't know themselves the final interview date. Am I right?

I couldn't get any idea from the INS or Internet. 99% of posts about timelines regarding AOS are from people other than I-130 adjusting in US. I guess I am a rare person. I used to be a J-1, by the way.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
Janna.
Old Apr 9th 2002, 2:50 am
Alvena Ferreira

Default Re: San Antonio AOS timeline please help!

Janna wrote:
    > Dear people, I would like to know if anyone has an insight into timeline for an AOS
    > at San Antonio INS District Center. Specifically, I would like to know the timespan
    > between fingerprinting appointment and AOS interview. How many months? I think
    > people who already got their stamps in passports just don't appear anymore on our
    > forums and you encounter only people who don't know themselves the final interview
    > date. Am I right? I couldn't get any idea from the INS or Internet. 99% of posts
    > about timelines regarding AOS are from people other than I-130 adjusting in US. I
    > guess I am a rare person. I used to be a J-1, by the way.
    >
AOS timelines are usually all the same. Offices tend to handle all marriage-based
immigration in the order that they are received. So chances are, any timelines from
K-1-ers will be similar to yours. You can find aos timelines here:
http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/instimes.htm

Alvena See the Doc Steen site here:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm I am not a lawyer, and this
is not immigration advice. The information I provide is mostly gleaned from old
newsgroup posts and visa links on the internet. If you want or need a lawyer, go to:
http://www.aila.org

Synchro1212

Janna, I am in San Antonio also. My fiance was just approved from England, and he
will be here on the 10th of May. We are going to marry on the 13th and then we will
try to apply for change of status, I was on the brown envelope sight last night, and
there is a place for you to view timelines for AOS in your INS office. There was not
alot for San Antonio, but for the K-1 ers it showed to be about 3-4 months. I hope
that is right. Tell me, what did you do to set up your interview? DId you just walk
in , or mail your stuff in or what? Please help me on this, I am concerned about
getting this started asap. Thanks Holly

Alvena Ferreira

Synchro1212 wrote:
    > I am in San Antonio also. My fiance was just approved from England, and he will be
    > here on the 10th of May. We are going to marry on the 13th and then we will try to
    > apply for change of status, I was on the brown envelope sight last night, and
    > there is a place for you to view timelines for AOS in your INS office. There was
    > not alot for San Antonio, but for the K-1 ers it showed to be about 3-4 months. I
    > hope that is right. Tell me, what did you do to set up your interview? DId you
    > just walk in , or mail your stuff in or what? Please help me on this, I am
    > concerned about getting this started asap.

If I recall correctly, you have to mail things into SA. check this page:
http://www.kamya.com/aos/

Alvena See the Doc Steen site here:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm I am not a lawyer, and this
is not immigration advice. The information I provide is mostly gleaned from old
newsgroup posts and visa links on the internet. If you want or need a lawyer, go to:
http://www.aila.org

Old Apr 10th 2002, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Former J-1s (F-1, H-1, and such) getting married here and adjusting in US by means of applying to INS with "AOS package" are very different from K-1s and I-130 DCFs in terms of timelines. Timelines for the last two are much-much shorter. They get the stamp in passports either the same day as they get fingerprints or in a short period of time going through consulate abroad and then INS here.
So I can't find the way to find out MY timeline. Well, who knows, may be a year.
Old Apr 10th 2002, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Hello, Holly,
Since your fiancee is K-1 you don't have to worry about your timeline, it is amazingly short.
Mine isn't, because I wasn't K-1, I was J-1.
You just mail your stuff to San Antonio and wait for EAD and fingerprinting appt, you get the stamp into passport (proceeding the permanent residency itself) the same day as fingerprinting.
If you try to call them, they all just tell you to write letters to them or visit the office in SA in order to find out about anything, so don't worry calling. Just sit and wait.
Good luck,
Janna.
Old Apr 10th 2002, 4:40 pm
Andy Platt

"Janna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Former J-1s (F-1, H-1, and such) getting married here and adjusting in US by means
    > of applying to INS with "AOS package" are very different from K-1s and I-130 DCFs
    > in terms of timelines. Timelines for the last

Yes this is true. Some of the old timers are finding it hard to remember that K-1
timelines are much better than for I-130 adjustees at many INS offices. So, the AILA
estimates that Matt and Shuterman has are all you really have to go on.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Apr 10th 2002, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Hello, Andy,
I just realized that processing times do change with time.
So next month they are either getting shorter or longer depending on circumstances.
Now I understand that I actually have to look at the most competent people's websites to see the most recent District Office Processing times report approved by INS!
But after looking at them I found it can be from 12 to 22 months. Uncertainty is a neccessary and sufficient condition for my existence!
But what if I get EAD 3 times faster than the report says? Do I get the interview 3 times faster too?
Janna
Old Apr 11th 2002, 4:40 am
Synchro1212

Default Re: San Antonio AOS timeline please help!/Janna

Janna, Thanks so much for the info. My fiance is so nervous about not working right
away. He does not want us to get in a bind, and have to pinch pennies, and also, he
will go nuts not working,...So, tell me, Shelley said apply for SSN first, then
marry, then send in AOS....Is that right? Then we wait for appt date? Holly

Old Apr 11th 2002, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

That sounds right to me, Holly,
but please check out with other K-1 folks, because I am not an expert in K-1. There is plenty information on internet available for people with K-1 and DCF (direct consular filing outside US). Just type in for example: "K-1 timelines or experiences".

Janna
Old Apr 11th 2002, 5:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Janna
Former J-1s (F-1, H-1, and such) getting married here and adjusting in US by means of applying to INS with "AOS package" are very different from K-1s and I-130 DCFs in terms of timelines. Timelines for the last two are much-much shorter. They get the stamp in passports either the same day as they get fingerprints or in a short period of time going through consulate abroad and then INS here.
So I can't find the way to find out MY timeline. Well, who knows, may be a year.
Janna

Your information is incorrect. It doesn't matter if you are filing for AOS from a K-1 or simply because you entered the US and married a USC. Unless you were a K-1 recipient and using Dallas, the timeline was/is the same for all adjusters of status based on marriage to a USC. There is no advantage in any INS office to having a K-1 visa before marriage in any way, shape or form unless you are a K-1er and are using Detroit, Sault Ste. Marie, MI and formerly Dallas.

The I-130 is approved the same day you have the AOS interview for the I-485. INS does not have to wait for the I-130 to be approved first.

Also people who are luckly enough to be able to do DCF don't have to deal with INS here in the US for adjustment of status. They enter the US as permanent residents.

Hope this helps you read the timelines given to you.

Rita
Old Apr 11th 2002, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Rita,
I am sure my timeline is longer than any of K-1s.
That is the impression you get trying to find out the timeline for
J-1 -> I-130 -> I-485 -> I-551.
I am not playing an immigration expert, I am just asking questions.

Janna.
Old Apr 12th 2002, 8:40 pm
Synchro1212

Thanks Janna...You have been very helpful Holly