Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Same Realtor for both sides.

Same Realtor for both sides.

Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Same Realtor for both sides.

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
We had one of those in California. We expressed an interest in selling our house. We were going to list it with someone, then the realtor who sold us the place showed up claiming she had a buyer who was ready to buy it and if we went with her, the fee would be 1%. Surprisingly enough it was true. They bought the place for our full asking price and our fees were 1%. We were lucky in hindsight that it all went smoothly as the realtor was definitely only interested in the buyer, not us.
Interesting that it can be a genuine buyer.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 3:36 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

we still dont know if the relo will happen, and the realtor has made no contact since his initial call. (this either means it was a line - OR hes showing his clients everything else he can before resorting to trying to get us to decide to sell). we cant do anything until the relo i sorted so its no real hassle to us to wait it out.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:56 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

well we are still waiting to get final confirmation about the relo- but have been told to expect paperwork from HR this week so its fairly certain.

In the meantime we have had another call from someone who saw the house on zillow. This time though its a potential buyer. they came and saw the house yesterday and loved it. They may come back to us in a few days with an offer (or not??)

Anyways - my QUESTION now is:
if we do get an offer - should we hand it over to the potential realtor (we still haven't signed as its still not officially on the market) or just negotiate ourselves and hire a lawyer for the closing parts.

The commission isn't really an issue here for us - as the costs are going to be paid by the firm either way. so they will pay the realtors fees or the lawyers fees. So what is better - a realtor who is very used to the local market or a general lawyer? who would do a better job or be fastest? The realtor would handle it ll for us, i'm guessing the lawyer would just do the finalizing of what we agree upon.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
well we are still waiting to get final confirmation about the relo- but have been told to expect paperwork from HR this week so its fairly certain.

In the meantime we have had another call from someone who saw the house on zillow. This time though its a potential buyer. they came and saw the house yesterday and loved it. They may come back to us in a few days with an offer (or not??)

Anyways - my QUESTION now is:
if we do get an offer - should we hand it over to the potential realtor (we still haven't signed as its still not officially on the market) or just negotiate ourselves and hire a lawyer for the closing parts.

The commission isn't really an issue here for us - as the costs are going to be paid by the firm either way. so they will pay the realtors fees or the lawyers fees. So what is better - a realtor who is very used to the local market or a general lawyer? who would do a better job or be fastest? The realtor would handle it ll for us, i'm guessing the lawyer would just do the finalizing of what we agree upon.
From my experience, an experienced real estate agents along with the title company probably works better together than a real estate attorney and a title company since few home sales are handled by real estate attorneys. Since an experience real estate agent probably handles many sales yearly and works with people that handle many more, I would probably go with a real estate agent over a real estate attorney.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 10:52 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

Originally Posted by Michael
From my experience, an experienced real estate agents along with the title company probably works better together than a real estate attorney and a title company since few home sales are handled by real estate attorneys. Since an experience real estate agent probably handles many sales yearly and works with people that handle many more, I would probably go with a real estate agent over a real estate attorney.
THANK YOU. You expressed what i thought might be the case. I appreciate the response.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 1:00 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
THANK YOU. You expressed what i thought might be the case. I appreciate the response.
Don't let them charge you their normal comisssion. If they haven't done any of the work to actually sell the house, they should substanially lower % commission. Even if someone else is actually paying the bill.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:45 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

yes, good point!
The people have not rang back yet so i'm assuming they wont be making an offer this time and we will be signing up properly with the realtor as soon as the paperwork comes through.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

RalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the rough

Just two points to make. First of all, how can a 'buyer's agent' really be acting in your interest? Sure they can provide some due diligence and useful info, but in truth all that info is freely available and the onus should be on the seller's agent to provide this. The so called buyers agent is only motivated by the commission generated by a sale.
I asked an American friend of mine what the point of having a buyers and sellers agent is, because I think that it is just a duplication of service and of commissions. He buys and sells and owns several properties so I thought he might set me straight. He said there is no point and he has never used a buyer's agent. Just one guy's view, but maybe there's a good reason why this doesn't happen in the rest of the world.
Point 2. The commission is a very real issue, (especially to the buyer). It is the amount of money that is being intercepted by the agent in the transaction between the buyer and the seller. Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with a good agent getting paid his due (though 6% comm seems excessive -my agent in London took 1%), but as a buyer I would insist on knowing the market value of the house, ie the price before commissions that I paid.

I find the property market here is so unmodern and manic and I find it to be quite difficult to get involved in. Recently, I found two properties that I was genuinely interested in. With the first the sellers agent absolutely refused to reveal the commission structure from the outset so I walked away -like I said if I am making such a big purchase then I really need to know it's market value. With the second house I approached the sellers agent, told him I was very interested in making an offer, but backed away when he absolutely insisted on taking the full 6% comm himself. The house is still on the market...

Anyway the housing market is certainly manic here in Chicago. I haven't seen so much building in IL ever, and it's all top end stuff. & yet the McMansions built 5 years ago are still unoccupied. Prices rise in general and yet we have at the same time seen new lows in prices this year. Crazy market... Good luck to anyone who has to /wants to get involved...
Old Jul 29th 2013, 4:50 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

yes, i think that first guy was just blowing smoke- the new contact is not a relator though so we will see.
They did actually contact us again to say they have not made a final decision and are seeing something else tomorrow (to compare) so sounds like they are interested just have to see if we fit their budget

I think they expected us to jump at the offer of 'no realtors' so they could discount any offer accordingly - so when we said we wouldn't be paying for the realtors ourselves it has priced us lightly above their budget. If they make an acceptable offer then great (saves us the hassle of keeping the place spotless and makes things quick). but if they don't then fine- its not even been listed/advertised yet so i'm positive we will get some interest when it does.