British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Same day money transfer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/same-day-money-transfer-849181/)

Canveydave Dec 19th 2014 12:48 pm

Same day money transfer

Apologies if this has been asked before, I searched but couldn't find anything.

Is it possible to do a same day money transfer UK to US??? I need to pay the deposit and first months rent on our place and it is getting mighty close to Xmas.

Other than Western Union who are charging a fortune can anyone offer any advise????

cappuccino Dec 19th 2014 1:30 pm

Re: Same day money transfer

Can you use your UK credit card in the bank to get a cash advance?

Pulaski Dec 19th 2014 1:50 pm

No. You'll be lucky to get the money in 1-2 days.

You'll need to get credit if you need the money "now".

A traditional bank wire "should" take two business days, so jump on it now (while the banks are still open in the UK) and you might have your money by Tuesday, albeit at a $4itty exchange rate and with wire fees at both ends. :(

Canveydave Dec 19th 2014 1:51 pm

I am not over in the US yet. I don't land until the 6th.

Travelex seem to be my best option at the moment

Canveydave Dec 19th 2014 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11507860)
No. You'll be lucky to get the money in 1-2 days.

You'll need to get credit if you need the money "now".

A traditional bank wire "should" take two business days, so jump on it now (while the banks are still open in the UK) and you might have your money by Tuesday, albeit at a $4itty exchange rate and with wire fees at both ends. :(

I have got a $7.5k unsecured credit card sitting in my pocket, I guess I could see if they could take that

Pulaski Dec 19th 2014 2:00 pm

How soon do you need the money to be there? You could buy a USD bank draft and FedEx it to the US for delivery on Monday.

Canveydave Dec 19th 2014 2:06 pm

That would work, stupid question, but I take it I get a US bank draft from my bank here in the UK??

MidAtlantic Dec 19th 2014 2:22 pm

Not the best timing on a Friday afternoon!

Your credit card sounds your best bet.

Otherwise I would call TorFx and see if they can help. You should be able to make a payment from your bank to them under the faster payment system.

Pulaski Dec 19th 2014 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Canveydave (Post 11507875)
That would work, stupid question, but I take it I get a US bank draft from my bank here in the UK??

Yes. "Please can I buy a US dollar draft?" is all you need to ask the teller. :) .... It will be drawn on a bank in the US, most likely in NYC, and is almost as good as cash to the payee (their bank will give them same-day value for it), and it will clear as a domestic item in the US.

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 11507881)
Not the best timing on a Friday afternoon! ....

What is the best time and day of the week to buy a USD draft? :confused:

Yorkieabroad Dec 19th 2014 3:43 pm

First Direct to Wells Fargo has taken less than 30 minutes every time I've done it.

petitefrancaise Dec 19th 2014 3:44 pm

We had almost the same scenario. Relocation agent told us on Sunday afternoon (we were leaving Monday 6am) that we would have to pay deposit and rent immediately to secure a house. Banks closed in France on Monday.

We brought as much cash as we could get out of the machines which ended up being about half of what was needed and set up a transfer through worldfirst into our US bank account as soon as we had the account details for the remainder.

petitefrancaise Dec 19th 2014 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11507963)
First Direct to Wells Fargo has taken less than 30 minutes every time I've done it.

Same here for us when using world first.

Does the OP already have a US bank account?

Canveydave Dec 19th 2014 3:46 pm

Just to update,

The crisis has been averted. Travelex came to the rescue and have done a next day transfer for me so it will hit the account on Tuesday morning US time at a rate I am happy with.

This renting process is the most stressful part of the whole relocation.

amideislas Dec 19th 2014 3:47 pm

Nobody mentioned PayPal. Instantaneous.

petitefrancaise Dec 19th 2014 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Canveydave (Post 11507969)
Just to update,

The crisis has been averted. Travelex came to the rescue and have done a next day transfer for me so it will hit the account on Tuesday morning US time at a rate I am happy with.

This renting process is the most stressful part of the whole relocation.

SO FAR!!!:rofl:

I take it you don't have kids then???

Good luck with it all xxx