Reload this Page >

Salt Lake City schools

Salt Lake City schools

Old Dec 29th 2012, 6:53 am
Just Joined

wyccox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salt Lake City schools

Hi,

We have a possible assignment to Salt Lake City for 4-5 yrs.

Does anyone know if there are any schools there which offer the British curriculum (eg an international school or a british school) catering to age 10 to 18?

(Reason for the british curriculum is we have moved many times and have kept the kids in uk system - eldest boy is now 14 entering his critical GCSE years - hence I'd prefer to keep him in UK system to minimise changes for him).

Any help/advice much appreciated - many thanks.

Thanks
chris
Old Dec 29th 2012, 2:42 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salt Lake City schools

I did enquire with other expats and teachers I know in Salt Lake and the answer is unfortunately no. They do offer charter schools here which many, that are not of the predominant faith prefer to attend as the division between the majority faith base and others in the public schools have been known to cause conflict. That being said, the educational standards are usually much higher than the public schools although quite expensive as they are private schools. Boarding schools may be your only other option if you want them to continue in their british curriculum.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
I did enquire with other expats and teachers I know in Salt Lake and the answer is unfortunately no. They do offer charter schools here which many, that are not of the predominant faith prefer to attend as the division between the majority faith base and others in the public schools have been known to cause conflict. That being said, the educational standards are usually much higher than the public schools although quite expensive as they are private schools. Boarding schools may be your only other option if you want them to continue in their british curriculum.
I have a cousin in SLC who is Catholic. They pay through the nose to send their kids to the local private RC school because the bullying by the Mormon kids of non-mormon kids in public schools is terrible.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 5:17 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Sir E. This is true, and I am fortunate that my time in SL did not require my kids going through the school system. My daughter did try her first year of Uni at the U of Utah when we were here and after 6 months came home asking just how much does she have to change to fit in here. I promptly moved her back to Nevada where she was able to finish her degree as well as having a good Uni experience. I live in both Nevada and SL for business purposes and it works because my stints are short term in Utah and my social circle in Utah pretty much removes much of the other element. The few Mormons I do socialize with are either no longer practicing the faith or from out of state (even they find the LDS here rigid), and they have been great in offering priceless advise when having to deal with LDS patrons in business. Since I am now semi-retired, I deal with the LDS issue less and less.

Utah is such a beautiful state but the sociology is bizarre.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

fallingwater is an unknown quantity at this point

We spent a year in SLC our daughter went to Rowland Hall St Marks for her sophomore year. We found it a good school for the short time we were there, and she was able to do a couple of her APs during that time.

Last edited by fallingwater; Dec 30th 2012 at 10:38 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

You may not be able to find a school in Salt Lake that teaches a British curriculum but at least you will have the comfort (or, perhaps, discomfort) of knowing that some of the teachers are probably armed and carrying concealed weapons ...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/27/us/uta...ons/index.html
Old Jan 30th 2013, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Butterlilly is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be interested in this also as it is looking likely that we will be moving to Salt lake City soon and we have a 4 and a half year old currently in Reception in a Catholic private school with my 2 year old son starting Early Years nursery in Sept 2014. From this thread are you saying my daughter may have to repeat a year? Thank you so much for your help. I don't know anyone in SLC but looking forward to meeting new people and settling in soon.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:42 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

American kindergarten is about the same as Year 1 in the UK system, but like many things you'll discover about the USA, it's such a big place that it's hard to make a general statement that applies to each and every situation.

You should have a look at this thread from last week. Many links and discussion about 'repeating a year' and how it will impact your child.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...php?p=10492911
Old Jan 31st 2013, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Butterlilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh thank you so much. Will take a look at it now. Great!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:50 am
Just Joined

GoforitSLC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm moving to SLC in the next 6months as my husband has been relocated. This thread is quite worrying in parts. I'm a French teacher and, because of the move, have got into Skype tuition. It's going well in the UK and Hong Kong. The emphasis is on following the British curriculum but I wasn't sure if there would be interest in SLC. If any of your kids would like French, let me know and I could help via Skype. Otherwise, when a move date is set, I'd love to meet some friendly faces! Have a lovely summer. Penny