British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Salt Lake City... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/salt-lake-city-883295/)

Wanderingacademic Sep 13th 2016 10:44 pm

Salt Lake City...

So, with all advice about academic jobs, I have broadened my thinking. And in so doing, I have found a possible job at UoU in Salt Lake City. I think that would have been the close to the bottom of my list, but the job would be really interesting. So, my question is what would it be like, socially in particular? I was worried about religion and conservative views in Texas - would it be a million times worse? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Guindalf Sep 13th 2016 11:25 pm

Re: Salt Lake City...

It'll be fine...

...so long as you're a Mormon.

petitefrancaise Sep 14th 2016 12:13 am

oooooooh the skiing!

retzie Sep 14th 2016 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Wanderingacademic (Post 12051436)
So, with all advice about academic jobs, I have broadened my thinking. And in so doing, I have found a possible job at UoU in Salt Lake City.

Good. Apply for it.

I think that would have been the close to the bottom of my list, but the job would be really interesting. So, my question is what would it be like, socially in particular? I was worried about religion and conservative views in Texas - would it be a million times worse?

These are all questions for when you have the job offer.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Apply. Then apply for 20 other jobs. Then do your best to forget about every single one.

Honestly, my time on the academic job market was absolutely the most unsettled/unsettling period of my life. Emotionally investing in a job at all is the path to madness. You will have your heart broken again and again and again :unsure:

If it's academically worthwhile, apply. If it's not, don't. Choosing your location is a luxury that you can consider when you have more than one job offer, and not a moment before.

Pulaski Sep 14th 2016 1:06 am

I have heard nothing but good things about Utah, and the primary influence of the mormons appears, based on everything I have ever heard, is that the state is remarkably clean and safe. I am not a mormon, but would have no qualms about moving there, though that is relatively unlikely. I'd certainly take a job there over one in New York given a straight choice between two job offers.

deadshoppingmalls Sep 14th 2016 1:29 am

I've been to SLC for work a few times.

If you like coffee, and craft beer - then you'll be in luck - it has a thriving scene of both. The people I've worked with there were split 50/50 mormon and non mormon. All of us would go out to a bar - the mormons wouldn't drink, the non mormons would, and everyone got on. The office had a coffee machine and free soda. Starbucks were everywhere.

The non mormons did say that they were warned against living in certain areas that were overwhelmingly mormon - for their own sanity (one who lived in a mormon area was basically ignored after they found out that his family didn't go to the "ward" in that area).

The other benefit of being a non mormon was apparently places like cinemas and costco were pretty much deserted on Sundays.

Wanderingacademic Sep 14th 2016 8:56 am

Originally Posted by retzie (Post 12051511)
Good. Apply for it.

These are all questions for when you have the job offer.

Apply. Then apply for 20 other jobs. Then do your best to forget about every single one.

Honestly, my time on the academic job market was absolutely the most unsettled/unsettling period of my life. Emotionally investing in a job at all is the path to madness. You will have your heart broken again and again and again :unsure:

If it's academically worthwhile, apply. If it's not, don't. Choosing your location is a luxury that you can consider when you have more than one job offer, and not a moment before.

I wasn't planning to apply for a year, but the job is a very niche job I might fit. BUT I do need to work out if my family and I could settle in and be happy there.

The climate sounds fantastic, but it feels a LONG way away, physically and culturally. No matter how amazing the job sounds, it is a balance between a great job and a great family and social life.

Wanderingacademic Sep 14th 2016 8:58 am

Deadshoppingmalls I don't drink coffee or alcohol 😁 But cinema on a Sunday sounds good.

Guindalf Sep 14th 2016 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Wanderingacademic (Post 12051715)
I wasn't planning to apply for a year, but the job is a very niche job I might fit. BUT I do need to work out if my family and I could settle in and be happy there.

The climate sounds fantastic, but it feels a LONG way away, physically and culturally. No matter how amazing the job sounds, it is a balance between a great job and a great family and social life.

That's because it IS a long way away. Are you aware that the college would have to sponsor you for a visa to the tune of several thousand dollars?

You can NOT apply yourself and, although not totally impossible, it does tend to be unlikely, unless your skill is really niche.

petitefrancaise Sep 14th 2016 1:43 pm

Retzie's post above reminded me of a something my daughter told me last weekend - this may or may not be news to wanderingacademic.

She was talking to one of her professors - newly arrived from MIT and brilliant. He's german and he was talking about the problems that european academics have when they want to get a job in an american college. It boils down to lack of published research when compared to the US academics. So, his advice to her was not to do her PhD in Europe if her end plan was to work in the USA.

This may not be true for wanderingacademic but it does make me think that if your end plan is to work in the USA then apply for any job you think you can get, the sooner the better and start getting your work published.

If the current job postings are for a start date in a year, then I would apply for them and start trying to get feedback for any that you don't get. This will be invaluable information in any case and you never know, you might actually get a job.

Sheepdip Sep 14th 2016 3:53 pm

My SIL and husband (both British) live nearby in Park City and love it there.

Cynnaminrye Sep 14th 2016 5:51 pm

It's gorgeous and the Mormons are actually very nice! Apparently there is a bit of a problem with pollution but I've visited loads and never noticed. Best of luck!

retzie Sep 14th 2016 11:43 pm

I wasn't planning to apply for a year, but the job is a very niche job I might fit.

As in, apply in a year to start Fall 2018? Is there some reason to think it will still be open?? If you want to be starting in a year, you need to be applying now.

BUT I do need to work out if my family and I could settle in and be happy there.

I'm not saying these are not reasonable questions. I'm just saying they are reasonable questions to ask when you have a job offer.

The more research you do, the more invested you get, the higher the stress, etc. Just apply and worry about it when (if) you get an offer.

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12052034)
He's german and he was talking about the problems that european academics have when they want to get a job in an american college. It boils down to lack of published research when compared to the US academics. So, his advice to her was not to do her PhD in Europe if her end plan was to work in the USA.

It's not just papers, it's also the teaching culture. US grad students do MUCH more teaching than elsewhere, so the odds are massively in their favour for entry-level academic positions with a teaching component.

There is also the small matter of (generally low) academic standards in the US. It is an almighty shock to the system for us foreigners, and sometimes departments don't want to take a chance on the Romanian/Indian/*cough*Australian who might fail a whole class :lol:

The Moose Sep 16th 2016 7:58 am

The filth are a bit trigger happy with the speed camera radar there ;)

penguinsix Sep 16th 2016 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Cynnaminrye (Post 12052299)
It's gorgeous and the Mormons are actually very nice! Apparently there is a bit of a problem with pollution but I've visited loads and never noticed. Best of luck!

It actually does have a bit of an air pollution problem given the mountains and trapping air coming in from other states. I think it technically rates as one of the top ten worst places in the USA for air pollution.

The Worst Air Pollution in the US Is Not Where You Think

Guindalf Sep 16th 2016 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by The Moose (Post 12053815)
The filth are a bit trigger happy with the speed camera radar there ;)

Have you had experience in this field? In fact, have you ever even been to SLC?

If not, and I suspect I know the answer, it is impossible to generalize and cover all 50 states and dependent territories!

I've lived here coming up for 19 years with 12 of those as a road warrior and I have never even SEEN a 'speed radar camera', let alone anyone who is 'trigger happy' with it!

Also, we don't use derogatory terms for no apparent reason here. It actually doesn't make you look cool. :rolleyes: