British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Salt Lake City (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/salt-lake-city-285284/)

MrsDagboy Feb 19th 2005 4:25 am

Salt Lake City

Anyone been to Salt Lake City? Anything exciting to do/see there?

elfman Feb 19th 2005 1:57 pm

Re: Salt Lake City

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy

Visited once years ago and quite liked it. A tour of the Mormon HQ and museum is actually worth doing, but I would also suggest reading "Under the Banner of Heaven" by John Krakauer - a really hair-raising account of the rise of the Mormon church and the freaks, weirdos, and outright psychos that have spun off it in more recent times.

Utah also has good skiing and some amazing national parks within reach of SLC.

KarnalEcho Feb 19th 2005 4:35 pm

Went there yrs. ago, as well. My birth mom was living there at the time and I went to meet her. She so lovingly took me to "whitness" the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in action. Other than that...? not a damn thing.

But I've heard people say it's fun to salt ski or whatever on the salt fields.

MrsDagboy Feb 21st 2005 2:35 am

Thanx for the replies, we're off there for a week just before easter, Dagboy has a conference to go to, so I'll be doing the sights (what there are ;) ) & probably shopping (with the little Dagboys in tow).

Looking forward to it, even if it means that I have to hang around with geeks alot in that week (Apart from Dagboy that is :eek: :D ). Now we just have to decide whether to stop at SF or LA on the way back for the "holiday" part of the trip.

Once again, thanx for the help :) .

Eskimo Feb 21st 2005 2:37 am

booze is bloody expensive thats all I know - all state owned :scared:

MrsDagboy Feb 21st 2005 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Eskimo

That's Dagboys worry - not mine ;) .

AdobePinon Feb 22nd 2005 3:54 pm

SLC is OK, but I'd say rent a car and get out of town - UT has some of the craziest scenery anywhere. I could easily spend a few months tooling around southern UT with a tent.

TRPardoe Feb 23rd 2005 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Eskimo

Actually my wife and I have an acquaintance who owns a bar in Salt Lake City. They are not all state run.

Roadhog Mar 30th 2005 2:46 am

I guess I am too late to answer this one. I am in the Salt Lake City area, and could have made some suggestions.

Depending on how long you were staying, you could have gone to some of the National Parks, seen the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, see Temple Square (you don't have to be a Mormon to see the square, just to get into the Temple itself) - the Missionaries there will help and answer questions without too much of a "sale job" if you are not interested. There are also ski resorts. Don't bother with the lake - it stinks and is like the Red Sea in Israel, salty, you can't sink in it, but it is too cold at the moment. Bryce canyon is impressive this time of year, if you want to drive a bit. As is Zion National Park. There is also Canyonlands and Arches National Parks too. OK! I'll stop now, I have started to sound like a Tour Guide.... :rolleyes:

Colin.