Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SALT Generators

SALT Generators

Old Jun 5th 2006, 5:40 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default SALT Generators

Anybody got a salt generator on their pool ...

Pro's and Cons please.......
Old Jun 5th 2006, 6:34 pm

Elsie The Maid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SALT Generators

I think you're the only one on this site that can afford a pool Ray!
Old Jun 5th 2006, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elsie The Maid
I think you're the only one on this site that can afford a pool Ray!
We've got a small pool.

I wouldn't want any salt in it though! Actually i've never heard of Salt Generators. Time to Google!
Old Jun 5th 2006, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

I'd be interested too, have read a bit about it and its supposed to make the water feel wonderful and be much easier to maintain etc, we seem to be having an issue with algae in our pool and no matter how many chemicals our pool guy throws in it won't go away..apparantly wiith a salt pool you don't get that problem.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 6:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
I'd be interested too, have read a bit about it and its supposed to make the water feel wonderful and be much easier to maintain etc, we seem to be having an issue with algae in our pool and no matter how many chemicals our pool guy throws in it won't go away..apparantly wiith a salt pool you don't get that problem.
Just had a long chat with my pool man friend about it .. but basically you add salt to the water ..then it goes through the salt generator which turns it into natural chlorine ..And a wonderful thing happens to the salt after it is turned into chlorine and does the work of sanitizing you pool water - it turns BACK INTO SALT - and the process begins all over again. The best part is that the salt is at a much lower level than even contact lens solution, so there is no 'salty' taste to the water.
Your pool water will retain a constant low level of ph-balanced chlorine that purifies your water while making it soft and silky to the touch. It leaves your hair and skin feeling luxurious, pampered. ALLEGEDLY..

You may have to top it up with a fresh bag of salt once a year ..depending on pool use, evaporation.. etc

And to shock it after heavy use or adverse weather ..You just click a boost button ..
Old Jun 5th 2006, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
Apparently with a salt pool you dont get that problem!!!!Dont believe that!!!!All my friends that have had the salt system have done away with it by bypassing it and reverting back to the old system.They all say that it was using twice as much chlorine and not keeping the pool clean.I used to have the D E filter but have now put in a sand filter as its cheaper in the long run,only costs $22 to replace the sand every seven years also mine has the self cleaning system but you still have to sweep the sides every now and then. Usually if the chlorine and acid is out of wack then you will get algae and if you have an older pool and the plaster has got rough then you will get that black mustard algae and you cannot get rid of it.Acid washing the pool will help for a while but it will come back so a re-plaster is the only other way out.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 7:16 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Arizona Wurzel
Apparently with a salt pool you dont get that problem!!!!Dont believe that!!!!All my friends that have had the salt system have done away with it by bypassing it and reverting back to the old system.They all say that it was using twice as much chlorine and not keeping the pool clean..
You confused me there ..how can it use more chlorine if you are not putting any in ...
Old Jun 5th 2006, 8:11 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Just had a long chat with my pool man friend about it .. but basically you add salt to the water ..then it goes through the salt generator which turns it into natural chlorine ..And a wonderful thing happens to the salt after it is turned into chlorine and does the work of sanitizing you pool water - it turns BACK INTO SALT - and the process begins all over again. The best part is that the salt is at a much lower level than even contact lens solution, so there is no 'salty' taste to the water.
Your pool water will retain a constant low level of ph-balanced chlorine that purifies your water while making it soft and silky to the touch. It leaves your hair and skin feeling luxurious, pampered. ALLEGEDLY..

You may have to top it up with a fresh bag of salt once a year ..depending on pool use, evaporation.. etc

And to shock it after heavy use or adverse weather ..You just click a boost button ..
Hmmmmm ... is this chlorine "free chlorine"? As in gas version of chlorine? If so, some of the chlorine will escape into the atmosphere. How is this chlorine generated? Electrolysis of water containing dissolved salt? Even if the salt level is very low, the sodium and chloride ions will contribute to TDS (total dissolved solids) which can be a factor in encouraging algae growth. So I am not sure I am understanding the science behind "salt generators". Maybe I should google it.

Last edited by User Name; Jun 5th 2006 at 8:27 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 8:51 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

There was a discussion/thread in Spain forum that talked a bit about this, ans using ozone to clean the water...might help, or not:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=ozone
Old Jun 5th 2006, 9:05 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by ironporer
There was a discussion/thread in Spain forum that talked a bit about this, ans using ozone to clean the water...might help, or not:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=ozone
Umm they seem to dither a bit .. just phoned a guy who had one for 14 months .. he is very pleased so far ..
Old Jun 5th 2006, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
Lovely...you'll have the smoothest varicose veins and bald head in Florida then...what a comfort that must be!!
Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:37 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Probably a load of bollox, just like my ozone pool. We got all the blurb, the water feels so much better, no chlorine smell, very low levels of chlorine just to tide it over till the morning when it comes on again. The reality is we have upped the level of chlorine in the water to normal levels in order to stop the algae from taking over. It just doesn't control the stuff when the chlorine is at the low levels they said we'd have it at. The only good thing that is true is no red eye...ever.
The other thing we got which is supposed to be super dooper is a four cartridge filter system, which only needs to be cleaned every 6 months and the cartridges are long lasting and can be used for years. That turned out to be bollox too. After 2 years we had to replace all 4 of em with new ones, so it was no different to having a single cartridge filter and changing every 6 months. I much prefer the DE filter we had on our last place, so much easier to change and clean than 4 poxy cartridges.
The only consolation I have is that the pool we got was still the cheapest quote, even with all the 'fancy doodar' equipment.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Ray, a buddy of ours owned had one of these back home and I don't recall him ever having any problems with it. He had it for years.

We've also been researching this.....one kid is particularly affected by the chemicals and doesn't enjoy it as much...

Be glad to read more.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:43 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

What's a pool?
Old Jun 6th 2006, 3:05 am
Ray

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
What's a pool?
Something Southerners have ... you have a furnace ..we have a pool...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.