Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sales tax on property

Sales tax on property

Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold
Default Sales tax on property

Well, isn't this just great, as if real estate agents don't charge enough commission anyway. I just received the following in an e-mail, does anyone know if it is true or not? What little I have been able to check it seems to be.

Will you ever sell your house?

Did you know that if you sell your house after 2012 you will pay a 3.8% sales tax on it?

That's $3,800 on a $100,000 home etc.

When did this happen? It's in the health care bill. Just thought you should know.

SALES TAX TO GO INTO EFFECT 2013 (Part of HC Bill) Why 2013? Could it be to come to light AFTER the 2012 elections?

REAL ESTATE SALES TAX

So, this is "change you can believe in"?

Under the new health care bill - did you know that all real estate transactions will be subject to a 3.8% Sales Tax? The bulk of these new taxes don't kick in until 2013 If you sell your $400,000 home, there will be a $15,200 tax. This bill is set to screw the retiring generation who often downsize their homes. Does this stuff make your November and 2012 vote more important?

Oh, you weren't aware this was in the obamacare bill? Guess what, you aren't alone. There are more than a few members of Congress that aren't aware of it either
Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sales tax on property

3.8% Real Estate Tax
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1chumly
I just received the following in an e-mail, does anyone know if it is true or not?
"The new tax would apply to income from interest, dividends, annuities, royalties, capital gains and rents for individuals who earn more than $200,000 annually and joint filers reporting more than $250,000, according to the legislation." (http://tinyurl.com/y93sh3e)

So, it'll only affect you if you earn more than $200K/yr.

Ian
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Ah, thanks for the clarification.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1chumly
Ah, thanks for the clarification.
Oh please send a reply back to the person that sent this to you and tell them what you've learned.... Hopefully if enough people reply back to this malarky, it will stop this kind of nonsense!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Oh please send a reply back to the person that sent this to you and tell them what you've learned.... Hopefully if enough people reply back to this malarky, it will stop this kind of nonsense!
I find if you challenge these daft emails, the sender gets all shirty and says it was 'just a joke'
Old Jan 19th 2011, 3:26 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I find if you challenge these daft emails, the sender gets all shirty and says it was 'just a joke'
... or "just sayin..." which bugs the crap out of me.

I wonder if such sales tax will be tax deductable. Goes to show how strapped for cash this country is.... when China starts to sell and trade their RE over here, they should tax the living crap out of them... (just sayin )

Last edited by Tarkak9; Jan 19th 2011 at 3:28 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

There's a similar email floating around that claims employees are going to be taxed on what their employers pay for health insurance for them.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/HR3590.asp
Old Jan 19th 2011, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I did this once, to a person who was quite serious about whatever stupidity they were spouting. We ended up sending insulting emails back and forth for a bit, it got old and boring....
Old Jan 19th 2011, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I did this once, to a person who was quite serious about whatever stupidity they were spouting. We ended up sending insulting emails back and forth for a bit, it got old and boring....
I fell out with my husband's aunt over one. (Hope he doesn't read this )
Old Jan 19th 2011, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I swear it won't be long before an email gets sent out saying "Did you know there re is a provision in the healthcare bill that says Obama will eat a baby every time somebody goes to the doctor? No? Well there is. My Uncle Bob's friend Jeff told me he heard it from a guy he met in line at Wal-Mart who said his sister read it online from somebody who had the bill."
Old Jan 19th 2011, 3:49 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

.... you mistaking emails for BE threads?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
.... you mistaking emails for BE threads?
Should I?

Btw, Christmas is over....
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:22 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Should I?

Btw, Christmas is over....
everyday should have the Christmas spirit - the world would be a happier place.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
everyday should have the Christmas spirit - the world would be a happier place.
What kind of Christmas spirit did the Grinch have?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.