British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Sales tax on property (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/sales-tax-property-701373/)

1chumly Jan 19th 2011 12:09 pm

Sales tax on property

Well, isn't this just great, as if real estate agents don't charge enough commission anyway. I just received the following in an e-mail, does anyone know if it is true or not? What little I have been able to check it seems to be.

Will you ever sell your house?

Did you know that if you sell your house after 2012 you will pay a 3.8% sales tax on it?

That's $3,800 on a $100,000 home etc.

When did this happen? It's in the health care bill. Just thought you should know.

SALES TAX TO GO INTO EFFECT 2013 (Part of HC Bill) Why 2013? Could it be to come to light AFTER the 2012 elections?

REAL ESTATE SALES TAX

So, this is "change you can believe in"?

Under the new health care bill - did you know that all real estate transactions will be subject to a 3.8% Sales Tax? The bulk of these new taxes don't kick in until 2013 If you sell your $400,000 home, there will be a $15,200 tax. This bill is set to screw the retiring generation who often downsize their homes. Does this stuff make your November and 2012 vote more important?

Oh, you weren't aware this was in the obamacare bill? Guess what, you aren't alone. There are more than a few members of Congress that aren't aware of it either

Moonshadow_Girl Jan 19th 2011 12:37 pm

Re: Sales tax on property

3.8% Real Estate Tax

ian-mstm Jan 19th 2011 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by 1chumly (Post 9113069)
I just received the following in an e-mail, does anyone know if it is true or not?

"The new tax would apply to income from interest, dividends, annuities, royalties, capital gains and rents for individuals who earn more than $200,000 annually and joint filers reporting more than $250,000, according to the legislation." (http://tinyurl.com/y93sh3e)

So, it'll only affect you if you earn more than $200K/yr.

Ian

1chumly Jan 19th 2011 1:48 pm

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

AmerLisa Jan 19th 2011 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by 1chumly (Post 9113287)
Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Oh please send a reply back to the person that sent this to you and tell them what you've learned.... Hopefully if enough people reply back to this malarky, it will stop this kind of nonsense!

Sally Redux Jan 19th 2011 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 9113339)
Oh please send a reply back to the person that sent this to you and tell them what you've learned.... Hopefully if enough people reply back to this malarky, it will stop this kind of nonsense!

I find if you challenge these daft emails, the sender gets all shirty and says it was 'just a joke' :rolleyes:

Tarkak9 Jan 19th 2011 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9113396)
I find if you challenge these daft emails, the sender gets all shirty and says it was 'just a joke' :rolleyes:

... or "just sayin..." which bugs the crap out of me.

I wonder if such sales tax will be tax deductable. Goes to show how strapped for cash this country is.... when China starts to sell and trade their RE over here, they should tax the living crap out of them... (just sayin :) )

Giantaxe Jan 19th 2011 3:30 pm

There's a similar email floating around that claims employees are going to be taxed on what their employers pay for health insurance for them.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/HR3590.asp

AmerLisa Jan 19th 2011 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9113396)

I did this once, to a person who was quite serious about whatever stupidity they were spouting. We ended up sending insulting emails back and forth for a bit, it got old and boring....

Sally Redux Jan 19th 2011 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 9113493)
I did this once, to a person who was quite serious about whatever stupidity they were spouting. We ended up sending insulting emails back and forth for a bit, it got old and boring....

I fell out with my husband's aunt over one. (Hope he doesn't read this :lol:)

Duncan Roberts Jan 19th 2011 3:48 pm

I swear it won't be long before an email gets sent out saying "Did you know there re is a provision in the healthcare bill that says Obama will eat a baby every time somebody goes to the doctor? No? Well there is. My Uncle Bob's friend Jeff told me he heard it from a guy he met in line at Wal-Mart who said his sister read it online from somebody who had the bill."

Tarkak9 Jan 19th 2011 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 9113493)

.... you mistaking emails for BE threads?

AmerLisa Jan 19th 2011 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Tarkak9 (Post 9113503)
.... you mistaking emails for BE threads?

Should I? :sneaky:

Btw, Christmas is over....

Tarkak9 Jan 20th 2011 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 9114473)
Should I? :sneaky:

Btw, Christmas is over....

everyday should have the Christmas spirit - the world would be a happier place.

AmerLisa Jan 21st 2011 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Tarkak9 (Post 9116619)
everyday should have the Christmas spirit - the world would be a happier place.

What kind of Christmas spirit did the Grinch have?