Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Salary in Southwest Florida. Is it a 'good' salary?

Salary in Southwest Florida. Is it a 'good' salary?

Old Nov 15th 2017, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Salary in Southwest Florida. Is it a 'good' salary?

Hi all,

Moving to Fort Myers in January, subject to L-1B approval etc. I will be moving on my own, with no kids, and have been offered a salary of $75k, plus a 10% annual bonus.

Is $75k going to give a relatively comfortable lifestyle to a single childless person in their early thirties, in Fort Myers? I've read that the median household income is something like $45k but I don't want that number to put me in a false sense of security.

In terms of living arrangements, I'll likely be going for a 2-3bed condo, so that hopefully means I'll be able to keep the costs down.

Thanks for the upcoming tips
Old Nov 15th 2017, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary in Southwest Florida. Is it a 'good' salary?

Originally Posted by petepete99
Hi all,

Moving to Fort Myers in January, subject to L-1B approval etc. I will be moving on my own, with no kids, and have been offered a salary of $75k, plus a 10% annual bonus.

Is $75k going to give a relatively comfortable lifestyle to a single childless person in their early thirties, in Fort Myers? I've read that the median household income is something like $45k but I don't want that number to put me in a false sense of security.

In terms of living arrangements, I'll likely be going for a 2-3bed condo, so that hopefully means I'll be able to keep the costs down.

Thanks for the upcoming tips
Depends a lot on your lifestyle, but $75k should be good. The more important question is, are you being paying the correct rate for the job you are going to be doing?
Old Nov 15th 2017, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

$75k will be fine.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Depends a lot on your lifestyle, but $75k should be good. The more important question is, are you being paying the correct rate for the job you are going to be doing?
Thanks, good to hear. In answer to your question, yes, I am paying paid in-line with expectations and what others in similar positions are being paid. Why do you ask that?
Old Nov 15th 2017, 12:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, good to hear. In answer to your question, yes, I am paying paid in-line with expectations and what others in similar positions are being paid. Why do you ask that?
In similar positions in the US? .... He is asking because there is often a significant discrepancy between typical pay for a given role in the UK and the same role in the US.

I believe I fell into that trap myself, taking my UK salary and converting it at the prevailing echange rate. Looking back I believe I was underpaid in my first job in the US by 30%-50%, or maybe more.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 15th 2017 at 12:44 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

For the reason Pulaski just gave
Old Nov 15th 2017, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

OK gotcha, I thought that might be why you're asking. To be honest, when I was given the offer it was completely in line with what I was expecting, having done my own research beforehand. The average wage was available through Glassdoor for me to view.

In fact, our Fort Myers office actually pays people £ for £ (or $ for $) more there than in our European HQ in Surrey. I guess they have to pay a premium to get people to go live in retirementville?
Old Nov 15th 2017, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

OK gotcha, I thought that might be why you're asking. To be honest, when I was given the offer it was completely in line with what I was expecting, having done my own research beforehand. The average wage was available through Glassdoor for me to view.

In fact, our Fort Myers office actually pays people £ for £ (or $ for $) more there than in our European HQ in Surrey. I guess they have to pay a premium to get people to go live in retirementville?
Cost of living is different.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

As a general rule I heard you should take your salary in Sterling, multiply the number by 1.6, then stick a $ sign infront of it.

That should be a salary that gives you roughly the same purchasing power as you had in the UK.

I guess it varies if you're moving to a different kind of area. I moved from London to NYC and found it to be true in my case.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint
As a general rule I heard you should take your salary in Sterling, multiply the number by 1.6, then stick a $ sign infront of it.

That should be a salary that gives you roughly the same purchasing power as you had in the UK.

I guess it varies if you're moving to a different kind of area. I moved from London to NYC and found it to be true in my case.
Great. Then I am already well ahead! I did that calculation and I'm already up by $8k
Old Nov 15th 2017, 3:46 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In similar positions in the US? .... He is asking because there is often a significant discrepancy between typical pay for a given role in the UK and the same role in the US.

I believe I fell into that trap myself, taking my UK salary and converting it at the prevailing echange rate. Looking back I believe I was underpaid in my first job in the US by 30%-50%, or maybe more.
Same here, I arrived in 2000. Looking back I figure the research lab I work for took advantage of my immigrant status and seriously underpaid me. Maybe about 25%.

I left within 6 months and took up a new position with a better salary.
Even so it took me about 2 years before I was back on par with what I was making in the UK.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

In my industry, it is common to take the UK salary, remove the "£", double the figure then stick "$" in front of it.

That's what happened to me, and yet I was still on about 15% less than my US colleagues in similar roles.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 3:33 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Ft Meyers has a relatively reasonable cost of living. $75K for a single adult ought to be fine.

However, remember to thoroughly investigate your benefits offerings in the US. As anyone who lives in the US can attest, looking at comp alone and not taking into account medical, dental etc benefits is taking an incomplete view of a job offer. Make sure you fully understand your benefits offerings and the context under which you will need them in the US.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Ft Meyers has a relatively reasonable cost of living. $75K for a single adult ought to be fine.

However, remember to thoroughly investigate your benefits offerings in the US. As anyone who lives in the US can attest, looking at comp alone and not taking into account medical, dental etc benefits is taking an incomplete view of a job offer. Make sure you fully understand your benefits offerings and the context under which you will need them in the US.
It's surprising how much the employee cost of medical insurance varies.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...lments-905922/
Old Nov 20th 2017, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hiro11

Thanks, yes I received my benefits package and whilst it looks quite comprehensive, it's also extremely confusing with all the different jargon, co-pays, deductibles etc.

I will get assistance when I start the role in understanding it more.