Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Salary Negotiations

Salary Negotiations

Old Nov 8th 2011, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Question Salary Negotiations

As I have never had a job in the US and am a trailing spouse at the moment, I am not sure what the score is with negotiating salary for new jobs, if you can even negotiate.

My OH has had 5 phone interviews for a new job. In the last call they asked what he was on just now and when he said what it was, they seemed surprised and said that the job with them would pay more and would mean we would not struggle with an increase in cost of living in the new State. They also said there would be some sort of relocation allowance/help.
Flash forward to today and the job was formally offered to him and he was given the salary figure. It is exactly the same as what he is on now and the relocation allowance/help has vanished. They said they would go for GC for us after 2 years but cannot put it into a contract. I told my OH that was b*****ks as I am fairly sure you can have it written into your contract that an employer will be able to add it to a contract.

He is going to call them tomorrow to tell them if he wants to take the job or not.

What I don't know is if he can try to negotiate the salary they are offering. I have looked on a website where you can find out salary ranges, interview experiences, company reviews etc and found the same job he has been offered and the salary there is higher than he has been offered.

Has anyone been in a similar position or can anyone offer any advice?
Old Nov 8th 2011, 1:28 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary Negotiations

He absolutely should negotiate, and he should be quite firm until they offer him a decent raise. Also, they should put the GC into the contract. Can you say what type of job this is?
Old Nov 8th 2011, 1:32 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
As I have never had a job in the US and am a trailing spouse at the moment, I am not sure what the score is with negotiating salary for new jobs, if you can even negotiate.

My OH has had 5 phone interviews for a new job. In the last call they asked what he was on just now and when he said what it was, they seemed surprised and said that the job with them would pay more and would mean we would not struggle with an increase in cost of living in the new State. They also said there would be some sort of relocation allowance/help.
Flash forward to today and the job was formally offered to him and he was given the salary figure. It is exactly the same as what he is on now and the relocation allowance/help has vanished. They said they would go for GC for us after 2 years but cannot put it into a contract. I told my OH that was b*****ks as I am fairly sure you can have it written into your contract that an employer will be able to add it to a contract.

He is going to call them tomorrow to tell them if he wants to take the job or not.

What I don't know is if he can try to negotiate the salary they are offering. I have looked on a website where you can find out salary ranges, interview experiences, company reviews etc and found the same job he has been offered and the salary there is higher than he has been offered.

Has anyone been in a similar position or can anyone offer any advice?
Unless the job he currently holds is no longer available he holds all the cards. Why would you relocate your family with no assistance and no increase in salary when there is no need to do so?

Even when we moved from LA to SF last year and were in a desperate situation hubby still got a cost of living increase of 10% and a relocation package that covered packing/moving/unpacking of all our belongings, $5k cash, 4 weeks accommodation or $1,500 cash if we didn't use it, and a relocation person to show us around the area/schools/houses...

Negotiate away, you should be in a great position
Old Nov 8th 2011, 1:34 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes agreed he needs to negotiate and get the GC statement added as well, I think it was N1ckys husband that had some BS go down when he lost his job sure she will chime in with advice!!

lol I posted then saw we must of been typing at the same time
Old Nov 8th 2011, 1:35 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Yes agreed he needs to negotiate and get the GC statement added as well, I think it was N1ckys husband that had some BS go down when he lost his job sure she will chime in with advice!!
Look up Poppy
Old Nov 8th 2011, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

His current job is fine and stable. At the moment his visa runs until Sept 2012. New company have said they would transfer and then renew the visas and after 2 years apply for GC for him (not paying for me and kids though apparently).

Current company are not saying if they will renew our visas at the moment and I highly doubt they will go for GC for us.

He applied for this new job as it is a bigger company and from my research I found they have had several H1b visas and subsequently gone on to GC.

He's an interactive designer.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 3:02 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i would seriously ask the potemtial employer 'whats in it for me?' ie he isnt getting more money, has to uproot his family and pay the costs, and has no guarantee of a GC? Exactly what are they offerring that makes it worth the risk? (and i dont mean that in a snarky way - make them define why he should chose them. Then either they can sell it to him for other reasons or they cant, or they make it worth his while.

I would google interactive designer and job and see what you get. when i did this with my potetntial job tit0el i was very surprisded at the salalry ranges i found on offer round the country. made me ask for a much higher ballpark figure than i would have done otherwise and get it. If he can see 'similar' jobs elsewhere paying more then he should say that and ask why they are not competative? even say if this is all you are offereing how secure will the job be (ie are they in difficult times)? I think the american way is to be a heck of a lot tougher negotiating these things than the uK. The employer can ask you some stinker questions - but i think you can ask equal stinkers back.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

I had GC statement in my contract. That seems pretty critical to me - the employer needs to do it for you so it's pretty important they are (legally) committed to your cause.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Note that many employers are wise to the fact that you are tied to them as long as you don't have a greencard. So unless it's in the contract there is absolutely no reason for them to help you with it. In fact there is a very good reason for them NOT to help you with it!
Old Nov 8th 2011, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
i would seriously ask the potemtial employer 'whats in it for me?' ie he isnt getting more money, has to uproot his family and pay the costs, and has no guarantee of a GC?
But at least he gets to stay in the US, which with his current employer seems rather doubtful. Presumably, the prospective employer is aware of this.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 8:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Biggest cock up was giving them a number first.

Never give up a number first if you can...get them to put a range down, and up it...once you've got a number, it'll be hard pressed to get decent pay rises again without jumping jobs, plus after 5 interviews they obviously want you.

It's a senior position, so they're taking the piss not offering relocation. Ask for it to be grossed up too, so that after taxes are taken out, you'll get what you need to move, anything less is taking the piss.

If you're getting screwed at this stage, well you know what the pathway is likely to be.

So get the GC in the contract, they're talking shite that they can't have it in the contract, it's one of the first things people request in writing.

Have you looked at glassdoor.com and the rest?
Old Nov 8th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Biggest cock up was giving them a number first.
I don't know about the US, but in the UK it's the norm for a prospective employer to ask about your current salary, if you are working. Refusing to answer probably doesn't look very good.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
I don't know about the US, but in the UK it's the norm for a prospective employer to ask about your current salary, if you are working. Refusing to answer probably doesn't look very good.
Aye, and it's still the biggest cock up, even in the UK to give the figure first.

It's a dance, they know that, you know that. You give them a number, they'll always be able to go down but you're stuck.

They give you a number first, even if it's more than you expected, you can always go up.

The boring reply is always along the lines of "current salary is private and fitting with my experience and skills, just as your figure will surely be" and dance around that.

There is nothing wrong with refusing to give the number first. It is weakness in doing so. Sure it doesn't apply if you're going for a till job at McD's, but this obviously isn't the case.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with whatnot her have said. Definitely go back with a counter offer which includes more salary, relocation costs and GC in contract.
My OH emlpoys people from both overseas and within the US and the salary is nearly always negotiated and more often than not relocation included.
Make sure you can keep your UK holiday allowance too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.