Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Salary comparison London to New York

Salary comparison London to New York

Old Jun 11th 2014, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

jodvova is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salary comparison London to New York

I got a job offer from New York company and they are matching my current London salary converted to USD.

Is this a fair comparison or should I ask for more because New York is more expensive city ? Although, the income tax will be lower there.

What are other people experiences ?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary comparison London to New York

You need to provide additional information to allow us to provide useful answers.

An example:
With New York being the state, are you moving to New York City? If so, would you consider living in any of the 5 boroughs? (Many people just assume that Manhattan is NYC).

It goes further, if you're currently living in W1 on a six figure £ salary, then you would probably enjoy life in the nicer parts of Manhattan. However, if you're living in greater London and commuting to work by rail, then you might consider living in Queens or Brooklyn.

It all depends on your personal preferences. Let us know what you're willing to spend on rent and that will help with the comparison.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jodvova
I got a job offer from New York company and they are matching my current London salary converted to USD.

Is this a fair comparison or should I ask for more because New York is more expensive city ? Although, the income tax will be lower there.

What are other people experiences ?
IME equiv salaries for NYC are up to 50% higher than the direct pound/dollar exchange rate. NYC is a lot more expensive than London for pretty much everything other than transportation costs.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

This is a real 'piece of string' question. Without knowing a lot more than you've given, it's impossible to answer.

The first question is what visa are you coming here on? Is the US company sponsoring you or are you or your spouse a USC? Without knowing you are legally able to take the job, the rest is completely moot.

Assuming the visa is in order, where in London are you based and what kind of salary are you currently earning? Where in NY will you be based and how far are you willing to commute?

Is the NY company offering health insurance or will you have to pay for it yourself? This makes a HUGE difference to how much you need to survive and/or thrive?

Are you coming alone or with a family?

There are many more factors but that will do for starters.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:18 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Although, the income tax will be lower there.
Federal withholding perhaps, but don't forget State, County and City Income taxes, cost of healthcare (deductatibles, co-pays etc) - there are many more 'hidden' charges here that ratchet up the cost, until the UK where you know the percentage you'll be paying up front based on your Gross take home.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

So, some more details.

I get 150k gbp in London. The NY company matches it at $260k.
I get a private health insurance from the company in London (paying some extra for dental).
NY company is offering full medical insurance without need to pay extra for dental.
NY company doesn't do 401k match.

I rent 2bedroom in E14 in London with ~5 mins commute to Bank/Canary Wharf on DLR. I pay ~1.8k gbp a month.
In NY, I'm thinking to rent the same kind of apartment in Upper East side / Union Square / maybe Dumbo.

The visa is provided by the company and they pay for a green card sponsorship.

I move with my wife (non USC).
Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

So, some more details.

I get 150k gbp in London. The NY company matches it at $260k.
I get a private health insurance from the company in London (paying some extra for dental).
NY company is offering full medical insurance without need to pay extra for dental.
NY company doesn't do 401k match.

I rent 2bedroom in E14 in London with ~5 mins commute to Bank/Canary Wharf on DLR. I pay ~1.8k gbp a month.
In NY, I'm thinking to rent the same kind of apartment in Upper East side / Union Square / maybe Dumbo.

Depending on the visa your wife may or may not be able to work.

Make sure you know the details of the US health insurance...there will probably be deductibles, copays etc. Does it also cover meds...again how much are the copays?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what 1.8k gbp ~ 2.7k usd will get you in those New York areas. Certainly there are places for that price range, but they will not be nice especially if they are 2 bedrooms. Hard to offer advice unless we know your standards.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
Not sure what 1.8k gbp ~ 2.7k usd will get you in those New York areas. Certainly there are places for that price range, but they will not be nice especially if they are 2 bedrooms. Hard to offer advice unless we know your standards.
That's what I was thinking. We paid almost that for a 3 bed duplex 18 years ago in NJ...30 miles from Manhattan,
Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's what I was thinking. We paid almost that for a 3 bed duplex 18 years ago in NJ...30 miles from Manhattan,
I've taken a look on zillow and I see properties ranging between $2.5-4.5k in those areas.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Federal withholding perhaps, but don't forget State, County and City Income taxes, cost of healthcare (deductatibles, co-pays etc) - there are many more 'hidden' charges here that ratchet up the cost, until the UK where you know the percentage you'll be paying up front based on your Gross take home.
Plenty of hidden taxes here too as you say, stuff like sales tax on second hand cars, property tax and stuff like that.

glassdoor and salary.com might be good places to check out the going rate for a particular field, but I wouldn't go with a squid to dollar conversion.

Plus all the other benefits are more important here, health, holiday, tax help if it's a transfer.

Anyway, visa info is handy. If it's a company transfer, that's a L1 and spouse will be allowed to work, if it's a H1B and it's not academic/research then they'll not apply till next April for a following October start and spouse won't be working. E2 has it's own disadvantages.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It usually doesn't include the hidden costs.

Padmapper.com is better on finding rentals.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

I've taken a look on zillow and I see properties ranging between $2.5-4.5k in those areas.
Rental property in Manhattan is better compared to 3rd world living in many cases. (No washer / dryer unit within the apartment - at least not in the sub $3,000 for a 1 bedroom apt range; in window airconditioning units, etc.)

You might want to consider living outside of the city and commute in.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlphaTangoMike
... in window airconditioning units, etc.)
Do apartments in Manhattan in that price range even have windows?
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:21 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Do apartments in Manhattan in that price range even have windows?
If they do, they face the air shaft!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.