British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Salary Calculations between UK and US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/salary-calculations-between-uk-us-808073/)

Sally Redux Sep 4th 2013 10:09 pm

Re: Salary Calculations between UK and US

Originally Posted by dlake02 (Post 10886070)
The result was that I owned my own flat outright in about 10 years. Set me up to never have to rely on credit, and even though I swore up hill and down dale at the Admin Manager cos I wanted to live in a "nicer" area than I was allowed to afford, in the long run, it gave us a level of financial stability and an understanding of planning for the long term.

Well hang on, you did have a loan and it was at a preferential rate.

dlake02 Sep 4th 2013 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10886162)
Well hang on, you did have a loan and it was at a preferential rate.

Yes. And it was taxed, and MIRAS was not available. Plus the preferential rate declined over the 10 years.

But it wasn't where I wanted it to be - it was where I could actually afford to live given the rules on no more than 30% of my take-home pay on loans.

It is interesting though that a bank that found itself in deep, deep shtum recently was very draconian about making sure it's employees only lived within their means less than 30 years ago.

If you applied the same rules on amount of affordability now, I wonder how people would fare ?

Yorkieabroad Sep 4th 2013 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10886029)
When borrowing from a 401K (50% maximum of the value of the 401K), any interest paid goes into your account. There isn't any taxes or penalty when borrowing from a 401K. One of the biggest disadvantages of borrowing from a 401K is that if you lose your job, you have 60 days to pay back the loan or else taxes and penalties will be accessed. Therefore it is never wise to borrow from a 401K.

That must be the bit he's talking about

Sally Redux Sep 4th 2013 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by dlake02 (Post 10886168)
Yes. And it was taxed, and MIRAS was not available. Plus the preferential rate declined over the 10 years.

But it wasn't where I wanted it to be - it was where I could actually afford to live given the rules on no more than 30% of my take-home pay on loans.

It is interesting though that a bank that found itself in deep, deep shtum recently was very draconian about making sure it's employees only lived within their means less than 30 years ago.

If you applied the same rules on amount of affordability now, I wonder how people would fare ?

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be
Well only up to 30% of take-home."

:p

dlake02 Sep 4th 2013 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10886175)
"Neither a borrower nor a lender be
Well only up to 30% of take-home."

:p

Yep - followed by 8 years of negative equity where we couldn't move. Cost us £15k to just get out.

If I had my time again, I wouldn't bother buying. It's a mugs game.

Pulaski Sep 4th 2013 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by dlake02 (Post 10886160)
I'm not so sure. When I was 18/19/20/21, it was drummed into me "buy your own house as soon as you can."

I just don't see the same rush in the younger generation. I have two cousins, both married, both in their late 20s with kids, renting privately and very, very happy to do so. Ask them about buying, and they have no desire to.

You may be right, but their attitude may change when a landlord declines to renew/ extend their lease on a home they have lived in happily for several years, OR when they realise that if they don't buy they'll be stuck paying rent for the rest of their lives when they could forward to living rent/ mortgage free after 25 years.

Bink Sep 4th 2013 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by dlake02 (Post 10886209)
Yep - followed by 8 years of negative equity where we couldn't move. Cost us £15k to just get out.

If I had my time again, I wouldn't bother buying. It's a mugs game.

I'd disagree. Then again I was lucky to do okay on a few houses especially buying in Glasgow where it cost me 1 quid more a month than my rent was costing me.

I feel renting is a waste. At least with a house your money is going somewhere, albeit slowly. It's more than that though, I like being somewhere I can call my own. I think it's hard to really settle if you rent.

Yorkieabroad Sep 4th 2013 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10886025)
It sounds good, but do people save up and buy a place outright, or always rent? Genuine curiosity.

I had a mortgage back in the 80's. I didn't really think about it...it was what grown up folk did when they left uni......got a job, then poured their new found "wealth" into a mortgage. I did ok on my first house.....put down 20%, took out a mortgage for the rest at a scarey interest rate, then moved 18 months later once it had almost doubled in price. Another 20% down, large mortgage, but hey, that's what folk do right....baaaa baaa;) .......sure fire winner...until MIRAS disappeared (was that the trigger? Or was it stamp duty?) and prices slumped. I was ok...just lost some equity, no real money, and never got underwater like most of my 1st time buyer neighbors who were well and truly in the sh1t with 105% mortgages. Trapped in tiny apartments as they were getting married and starting families with little to no chance of selling or paying off their loans. I watched that happening, and thought " there but for the grace of god.....". I had dodged that bullet not by being smart, but by being incredibly lucky that i had been in the market 18 months longer than they had. It scared the bejesus out of me, seeing how quickly things had turned south for them, and how easily it could have been me. So I poured every spare penny I had into the mortgage, and got rid of it in 7 years. Moved overseas, rented in the Far East, then came to Texas where property was crazy cheap (on the face of it), and never looked back. Had a brief period with a mortgage about 7 years ago when I had a fixed rate NS&I bond at a little over 2% higher than the current mortgage rates here, so I pocketed the difference, then paid off the mortgage when the bond matured.

Is it easy? No. Especially on a rising market.
Was I lucky? Incredibly so.
Would I recommend it? Absolutely.
Do I think it's doable now? Not really unless the cards fall absolutely perfectly...

To my mind, a sensible size mortgage is "acceptable" debt, because it is really the only way out of the cycle of renting...I still see home ownership as a good thing, and generally see other property as a good long term investment. Most other debt we shy away from totally, and are trying to teach the kids that way too, but it's not easy when some of my 12 year olds friends have access to their parents credit cards...W.T.F.?

Yorkieabroad Sep 4th 2013 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bink (Post 10886240)

I feel renting is a waste. At least with a house your money is going somewhere, albeit slowly. It's more than that though, I like being somewhere I can call my own. I think it's hard to really settle if you rent.

+1
We've had a tenant for 5 years who is now wanting to buy our apartment, which is fine, but she wants to apply all the rent she has paid over the term of her tenancy, which is not. She has obviously just worked out that she has "bought" more than half the apt in about a third of the period of a mortgage.....

Yorkieabroad Sep 4th 2013 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by SamiZ (Post 10886085)
Yes family is the big driver but if I take the plunge and it doesn't work there because of finances for example, I will have to have a backup plan. If I make the move though, I will be determined to make it work so if I have to move somewhere else in the US, then I will review that if required.

I know where you are coming from...family was the driver for us to move to Houston. The first couple of years were tough, but if the motivation is large enough, you can make it work. But always good to have a Plan B!.
Good luck!