British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Salary Advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/salary-advice-316954/)

JPHCCFC Jul 30th 2005 1:24 am

Salary Advice

Hi guys I'm new poster to the board, but am already a regular visitor. I'm currently living in the Camarillo, California and its seems highly likely...fingers crossed.....that i will be offered a job with H1b sponsorship in the next few days. I was wondering what sort of salary i should expect? Its a publishing company in south California, Ventura county. My role would be to manage a web publishing IT project its a new project and the department is only small so id only have to manage a team of approx 5. My level would be one below director! Having never negotiated for a job in the USA can someone offer advice as to a) what sort of salary i should be looking for, b) whether salary negotiation is acceptable.

Thanks JPHCCFC

JPHCCFC Jul 30th 2005 1:27 am

Re: Salary Advice

I have already done some investigation via, dice.com and monster.com and they seem to indicate anything from 67k - 87k or 99k-120k........there really are some strong differences!

bored-silly Jul 30th 2005 2:04 am

Go for as much as you possbily can, I don't think anyone in CA was prepared for the cost of living!

Bob Jul 30th 2005 2:23 am

Originally Posted by bored-silly
Go for as much as you possbily can...

too right, because once you've got it, you'll hardly ever see a decent pay rise again :D

JPHCCFC Jul 30th 2005 3:17 am

so say they offered 60k would i be over the top to ask for 80k?

krizzy Jul 30th 2005 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Bob
too right, because once you've got it, you'll hardly ever see a decent pay rise again :D

Amen........ :( :(

krizzy Jul 30th 2005 3:51 am

Originally Posted by JPHCCFC
Hi guys I'm new poster to the board, but am already a regular visitor. I'm currently living in the Camarillo, California and its seems highly likely...fingers crossed.....that i will be offered a job with H1b sponsorship in the next few days. I was wondering what sort of salary i should expect? Its a publishing company in south California, Ventura county. My role would be to manage a web publishing IT project its a new project and the department is only small so id only have to manage a team of approx 5. My level would be one below director! Having never negotiated for a job in the USA can someone offer advice as to a) what sort of salary i should be looking for, b) whether salary negotiation is acceptable.

Thanks JPHCCFC

Take into account time off and healthcare.....Ins....and any other benefits.....how much tax you'll pay......and the cost of buying or renting....

Eskimo Jul 30th 2005 4:02 am

Originally Posted by JPHCCFC

Thanks JPHCCFC

I manage a global IT dept for a large multi-national subsidiary in LA. What size is the company ? we are around 500million and I have a web publishing manager who gets around 110k. He has around 15 years in the industry and is also proficient in RPG, Java and has 5 years web sphere commerce experience.
As Bored Silly said nothing can compare to the cost of living here ,even in the valley where I guess you would live, I have had major issues attracting staff from the Mid West (where we are based) for salaries of 100k+ - they run when they see house prices. :scared:
Our salaries are in ranges so aim high ! PM if you want more info

JPHCCFC Jul 30th 2005 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I manage a global IT dept for a large multi-national subsidiary in LA. What size is the company ? we are around 500million and I have a web publishing manager who gets around 110k. He has around 15 years in the industry and is also proficient in RPG, Java and has 5 years web sphere commerce experience.
As Bored Silly said nothing can compare to the cost of living here ,even in the valley where I guess you would live, I have had major issues attracting staff from the Mid West (where we are based) for salaries of 100k+ - they run when they see house prices. :scared:

Thanks eskimo, for your information, it is really helpful. I have sent you a PM with some further info. This board is fantastic, its nice to be able to get advice on these things, thanks to all!

evoal2003 Jul 30th 2005 5:37 am

But his and Bored Silly's house together are like Micheal Jacksons never land..... ;)

Posh Mother fu@@ers

Eskimo Jul 30th 2005 5:41 am

Originally Posted by evoal2003
But his and Bored Silly's house together are like Micheal Jacksons never land..... ;)

Posh Mother fu@@ers

pop up like a jack-in- the box you do Al - hows the weather ? - pissing steam yet ? :scared:

evoal2003 Jul 30th 2005 5:45 am

pop up like a jack-in- the box you do Al - hows the weather ? - pissing steam yet ? :scared:

Yeah I'm always here but if I move too often the sweat would damage the keyboard.

Fu3k me its hot, 115f easy in the day 95 at night, I never thought I would wish for the winter so much... :D . It doesn't help returning to the working community shirts and deserts were not to be in the same sentance.

Hows life Andrew, missus back or are you still crying in her pillow each night? :D

alan

Eskimo Jul 30th 2005 5:48 am

Originally Posted by evoal2003
Yeah I'm always here but if I move too often the sweat would damage the keyboard.

Fu3k me its hot, 115f easy in the day 95 at night, I never thought I would wish for the winter so much... :D . It doesn't help returning to the working community shirts and deserts were not to be in the same sentance.

Hows life Andrew, missus back or are you still crying in her pillow each night? :D

alan

heh heh its been really humid here - I am the incredible sweating man.. don't wear grey is my tip

shes back next Sunday then I can cry into her pillows ;)

evoal2003 Jul 30th 2005 5:51 am

heh heh its been really humid here - I am the incredible sweating man.. don't wear grey is my tip

shes back next Sunday then I can cry into her pillows ;)

Please give her the avatar back I keep being unnecessarily nice to you.

Lots of love Alan

bored-silly Jul 30th 2005 5:52 am

Brrr, hello.