British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Saint Paddy's day! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/saint-paddys-day-217948/)

Yosser Mar 17th 2004 5:59 pm

Saint Paddy's day!

Well today is the usual over the top fuss about saint paddy's day, all the school kids are wearing green, and Bennigens burger joint will be packed all day! On stern this morning he said New yorks streets will be drowned in puke after all day drinking.

I wonder how many billions $$$ will be lost today due to "employees calling in sick" ?

rogerpenycate Mar 17th 2004 6:07 pm

Re: Saint Paddy's day!

Originally posted by Yosser
Well today is the usual over the top fuss about saint paddy's day, all the school kids are wearing green, and Bennigens burger joint will be packed all day! On stern this morning he said New yorks streets will be drowned in puke after all day drinking.

I wonder how many billions $$$ will be lost today due to "employees calling in sick" ?

I'm expecting to wake up tomorrow morning with a mouse
water-skiing in my head.

Pimpbot Mar 17th 2004 6:07 pm

I wonder how many millions Guinness are making off this. Although I did find their ads funny.

This is the day when most Americans claim 1/16th of Irishness.
:rolleyes:

Scorchio Mar 17th 2004 6:19 pm

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I wonder how many millions Guinness are making off this. Although I did find their ads funny.
Hehe.. yeah, I saw the Christmas type one yesterday :D

Never mind, next stop is St George's day, April 23rd :beer: ...could I request a John Smiths bitter smiley for the occasion?

Pimpbot Mar 17th 2004 6:22 pm

Originally posted by Scorchio

Never mind, next stop is St George's day, April 23rd :beer: ...could I request a John Smiths bitter smiley for the occasion?
My birthday too :) I wonder if they have a parade in NYC for George? ;)

Scorchio Mar 17th 2004 6:31 pm

Originally posted by Pimpbot
My birthday too :) I wonder if they have a parade in NYC for George? ;)
Cool.. there's an excuse for another beer! :p

I don't think I'll be scheduling any trips to NYC, though! :D

NC Penguin Mar 17th 2004 8:07 pm

Make that green tinged puke!! :)

Lion in Winter Mar 17th 2004 8:32 pm

Originally posted by Scorchio
Cool.. there's an excuse for another beer! :p

I don't think I'll be scheduling any trips to NYC, though! :D

It will also be Shakespeare's birthday don't forget, and I'm sure he liked beer too.

PrincessofWales Mar 17th 2004 8:58 pm

I actually got frowned at today in the kitchen at work for not wearing anything green.

I had to explain that I am Welsh, have my own patron saint (that confused them right up) have no interest in Irish saints, and, by the way, to most Brits the Irish are the butt of jokes in the same vein that West Virginia and rednecks are to most east coast Americans.

I just don't the green thing at all!

Englishmum Mar 17th 2004 9:41 pm

I have no interest these days in St. Patrick's day; I was put off many years ago when I went to an Irish club in our town with an old schoolfriend whose parents were Irish.

Later in the evening the crowd were all singing pro-IRA songs. :mad:

Anyway, today I was driving past a new pizza store in our town and on the door there was a big notice posted up:

ST.PATRICKS DAY SPECIAL
REUBEN PIZZA

Eh? I thought anything called a 'Reuben' was of Jewish origin?! (Or at the very least, German?).

Lion in Winter Mar 17th 2004 9:45 pm

Originally posted by Englishmum
I have no interest these days in St. Patrick's day; I was put off many years ago when I went to an Irish club in our town with an old schoolfriend whose parents were Irish.

Later in the evening the crowd were all singing pro-IRA songs. :mad:

Anyway, today I was driving past a new pizza store in our town and on the door there was a big notice posted up:

ST.PATRICKS DAY SPECIAL
REUBEN PIZZA

Eh? I thought anything called a 'Reuben' was of Jewish origin?! (Or at the very least, German?).

Perhaps it's because a Reuben has sauerkraut on it, which is pickled cabbage? What would be on an Irish pizza anyway?

BrigieDarling Mar 17th 2004 9:55 pm

My daughter was just telling me what happened at her school today...

The principal said anyone wearing green could go back to their classes first...
Then he said anyone that is Irish can go back to their classes second...

She said in the end it was her and two other kids left sitting there! ;)

(She was wearing black, she's been wearing it a lot lately, maybe I should talk to her! :rolleyes: )

snorkmaiden Mar 17th 2004 10:11 pm

Well I had to help my kids make leprechaun traps last night for school today.

******* eejits is all I have to say on the matter :D

monster Mar 18th 2004 12:44 am

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
What would be on an Irish pizza anyway?
Guinness.

lairdside Mar 18th 2004 1:24 am

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
I actually got frowned at today in the kitchen at work for not wearing anything green.

I had to explain that I am Welsh, have my own patron saint (that confused them right up) have no interest in Irish saints, and, by the way, to most Brits the Irish are the butt of jokes in the same vein that West Virginia and rednecks are to most east coast Americans.

I just don't the green thing at all!
Hey, I am Irish. :p

Went to work today and had forgotten it was even St. Patrick's day until someone reminded me.

The only thing I miss are the peppermint milkshakes that Mc Donalds do.

People getting pissed whilst wearing "Kiss me quick" hats on the Falls road was never quite my scene.........