Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

s/o Are you drinking more in America vs. the UK?

s/o Are you drinking more in America vs. the UK?

Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: s/o Are you drinking more in America vs. the UK?

Originally Posted by kimilseung
If you go for a "session" you are considered an alcoholic by many.
Me and the missus went for a few pints this Sunday about 11:00, I just felt disapproval from the brunch eaters around us.
Yep, it'll just have to be Vegas whenever I do need a blowout. Do whatever you like there.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
That's one thing I've noticed here. It's always about food and I couldn't care less about food to be honest.

If you look at bar reviews on yelp etc, nearly every review is all about food. I want to know what the atmosphere is like, what the beer is like, how busy, whether they show the football, what the talent is like etc.

I really don't care if your entrée was slightly undercooked!
Also they've snatched the food off you after 20 minutes anyway.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Back home I drank for social reasons at get togethers, pubs more group settings type of thing. Here I am mostly self soothing after a long stressful day or serious longing to be home. I mostly drink at home. Not sure if it's more though.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 11:21 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
That's one thing I've noticed here. It's always about food and I couldn't care less about food to be honest.

If you look at bar reviews on yelp etc, nearly every review is all about food. I want to know what the atmosphere is like, what the beer is like, how busy, whether they show the football, what the talent is like etc.

I really don't care if your entrée was slightly undercooked!
That's one thing I love about living in the Bay area (and I hated about LA). Our town has a main street which is just full of bars and restaurants. There are at least 10 really nice restaurants that have separate bar areas, where you can just go and drink. Then there are at least 5 pub like places where they show sport and you can just sit at a table and drink, and get a burger/fries kind of food. Then a great wine bar. We've also got 2 nightclubs (but I haven't been in either). Outside seating is available at nearly of them too, and that's just one street.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by N1cky
That's one thing I love about living in the Bay area (and I hated about LA). Our town has a main street which is just full of bars and restaurants. There are at least 10 really nice restaurants that have separate bar areas, where you can just go and drink. Then there are at least 5 pub like places where they show sport and you can just sit at a table and drink, and get a burger/fries kind of food. Then a great wine bar. We've also got 2 nightclubs (but I haven't been in either). Outside seating is available at nearly of them too, and that's just one street.
SF is definitely on my list of places to live for a while before I retire back to my UK pub The others I'd like to try are somewhere in Texas (no idea where yet) and somewhere deep south (maybe Alabama).
Old Sep 25th 2014, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really like SF city in particular..smells of urine a lot...crowded, hellish traffic, aggressive beggars and homeless on the streets...Admittedly good pubs and restaurants though...I love Scala's Bistro off Union Square.
San Francisco Union Square Italian Restaurant & Bar | Scala's Bistro

But North in Marin County, Point Reyes, the Russian River.
Then up Napa way

Also Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay

I guess I'm not much of a city dweller...
Old Sep 25th 2014, 12:10 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
SF is definitely on my list of places to live for a while before I retire back to my UK pub The others I'd like to try are somewhere in Texas (no idea where yet) and somewhere deep south (maybe Alabama).
I don't live in SF, I'm around an hour's drive south. I've never lived in a big city (I don't count LA as a city), it's something we'd like to try once the kid has gone off to uni. Maybe Seattle or Boston, depending where she ends up.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Licensing laws. Lots of places insist you serve food to also sell alcohol.
And they are limited to a percentage, dollar wise, of total sales, or they can lose their liquor license.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redwing
And they are limited to a percentage, dollar wise, of total sales, or they can lose their liquor license.
Which is why a lot of bars encourage people who work in offices to come in for lunch, because in America the lunch "take" is almost entirely for food, and a little for non-alcoholic drinks, thereby easing the pressure to sell food to the evening crowd who mostly just want to drink.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

mrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud of

If you go for a "session" you are considered an alcoholic by many.
Me and the missus went for a few pints this Sunday about 11:00, I just felt disapproval from the brunch eaters around us.
True true! Although the beer here (at least the craft beers that are so prevalent around here in the bay area) are HELLISH strong. I went out with a couple of buddies and after two pints I was swaying - I thought "I must be ill" - I asked the barman how strong they were - the first one was 9 and the second 11% abv…

It was a huge treat going back to the UK and having four pints of brown beer in the pub - all under 4% - I didn't feel sick and I could think clearly the next morning…
Old Sep 25th 2014, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

mrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud of

Just thinking about this - I do like, though, that you don't HAVE to drink here. One is free to not drink alcohol without comment - people won't be asking if you're ill or pregnant...
Old Sep 25th 2014, 6:27 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I drink less, mainly because of all the driving I have to do. Plus, I don't like getting pished anymore anyway, I can't take the hangovers these days
Old Sep 25th 2014, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

I drank much less when I came here in my 20s. I think it's because there were no local pubs , plus 21 was the drinking age , my friends weren't quite 21 so I didnt drink .

When you see the series Mad Men and see how small the liquor glasses were back then , imagine handing someone a glass of wine now with 6 ounces in it Lol
Old Sep 25th 2014, 11:41 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrlion
Just thinking about this - I do like, though, that you don't HAVE to drink here. One is free to not drink alcohol without comment - people won't be asking if you're ill or pregnant...
Good point, well made. It is your choice, no social pressure.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:37 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Good point, well made. It is your choice, no social pressure.
This was an interesting chart that came out today.

Think you drink a lot? This chart will tell you. - The Washington Post

Basically it shows that

30% of Americans don't drink at all.
The next 30% drink less than one drink a week.

However, on the other end of the scale, the top 10% of Americans drink on average about 10 drinks a day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.