Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Russian Visa

Russian Visa

Old Aug 25th 2005, 2:03 am
Just Joined

london18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Russian Visa

I am a British Citizen with a greencard living in Texas. I applyed for a Russian Visa and was denied needed for business purposes. They do not disclose reasons for denials. I was wondering if any other British person had tried to apply for one from within the US and what was the outcome?
Old Aug 25th 2005, 3:34 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russian Visa

Originally Posted by london18
I am a British Citizen with a greencard living in Texas. I applyed for a Russian Visa and was denied needed for business purposes. They do not disclose reasons for denials. I was wondering if any other British person had tried to apply for one from within the US and what was the outcome?
Yes. I applied here in June of this year but it was just a tourist visa. We used a visa expeditor, they were wonderful. They do all the work for you. They checked over our forms etc, told us how to fill in the blanks. They are called "A Briggs Passport & Visa" based in Washington.

They have a website: http://www.abriggs.com/

Just a point. Although I have a UK passport we were advised that I should use the USC form. Apparently the embassy prefer that. They also don't like you to use the consulate form if applying to the embassy. And don't attach extra sheets, funnily enough you have to write the extra infoin the margins!

We used their expediated two day service but you may not need that. Fees are more expensive than doing it yourself, and you can do it. But the info they gave to us was things we wouldn't have known. Was it worth the money? Absolutely!
Old Aug 29th 2005, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Was it worth the money? Absolutely!
Hmm, I got my Russian visa from London, so not directly relevant, but was a complete pain in the arse from start to finish. Consular staff at the (barely ever open) embassy extremely unhelpful.

Even when I got to Moscow, I had my credit card nicked. On the way home at Sheremetyvo, Arabic looking guy asked me to take a package for him to London!!!!

Best part of the trip - wheels up on the way home.

Was it worth it - No. Second last place on earth I ever want to go again, after Saudi.

That said, I'm told St Petersburg is nice. They said that about Moscow too..
Old Aug 29th 2005, 2:22 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadster280
Hmm, I got my Russian visa from London, so not directly relevant, but was a complete pain in the arse from start to finish. Consular staff at the (barely ever open) embassy extremely unhelpful.

Even when I got to Moscow, I had my credit card nicked. On the way home at Sheremetyvo, Arabic looking guy asked me to take a package for him to London!!!!

Best part of the trip - wheels up on the way home.

Was it worth it - No. Second last place on earth I ever want to go again, after Saudi.

That said, I'm told St Petersburg is nice. They said that about Moscow too..
Sorry to hear about your experience. I had a fabulous time. Went to Moscow and St petersburg. No problems at either place.

Moscow was amazing. Definitely not grey. Pretty much like many other European cities except for the massive explosion of consumerism. Amazing! It's as though it went off like a bomb. Shopping was something else, besides one mall being bigger than your average town centre! The labels were all there, Prada, Gucci, YSL etc. But it was the choice. Want one Bodum kettle? Why not look at the 57 s we have here to choose from? An umberella? We have 150 here just on this one wall, unless you would care for something different. Size, colour? Oh we carry everything in every size and colour combination.... We did Red Square and St Basil's, Lenin's tomb, Kremlin was there but we weren't allowed inside. It was quite strange at RS. Apparently it's Rusiian bridal tradition to visit RS on your wedding day. So we saw at least 30 brides, grooms and bridal parties. Drinking champagne and looking beautiful and sooo young. And beautiful is something else. I have never seen so many beautiful young women. 3 or 4 out of 5 were attractive to stunning. It was amazing.

Then we flew to St Petersburg on a Russian Airline. Oh boy. Those planes were USSR issue. They were all formica with round porthole windows that had those old fashioned curtains that slide on bars, they looked like something from a retro advert. The evacuation procedure was printed just above our window. "In case of emergency open latch and pull rope. Hold rope and use to evacuate through window". AAArrrggghhhh! But we made it in one piece. We went to the Hermitage. An outstanding example of theft on a a grand scale. The spoils of looting and pillaging every corner of the world in one building. Has to be seen to be appreciated!

As you can see I could go on and on. People were helpful and friendly, food was great we went here http://www.russian-fishing.ru/ one night brilliant fun! The underground was easy to use, just don't take any pictures as they are considered military instillations.