Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Running on the road

Running on the road

Old Jun 28th 2006, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Running on the road

I nearly ran someone over this morning, swerving at the last minute to avoid them (man and woman running side by side) as I rounded a bend in the development where I live.

I don't get it, there is a perfectly good sidewalk/kerb right next to them, wide and smooth, but wherever I see people running, they are on the road, with cars swerving and slowing to avoid them.

Not being a runner, I have no idea what is wrong with the sidewalks.... or is it just another unfathomable thing that we just need to shrug our shoulders, scratch our heads and say whatever?

- Tim
Old Jun 28th 2006, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Running on the road

Originally Posted by TimFountain
I nearly ran someone over this morning, swerving at the last minute to avoid them (man and woman running side by side) as I rounded a bend in the development where I live.

I don't get it, there is a perfectly good sidewalk/kerb right next to them, wide and smooth, but wherever I see people running, they are on the road, with cars swerving and slowing to avoid them.

Not being a runner, I have no idea what is wrong with the sidewalks.... or is it just another unfathomable thing that we just need to shrug our shoulders, scratch our heads and say whatever?

- Tim
What time of day was this? In the dark? Housing developments tend to have a lower speed limit (than city speed limits). If you were going the speed limit, surely you would've seen the runners?
Old Jun 28th 2006, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
What time of day was this? In the dark? Housing developments tend to have a lower speed limit (than city speed limits). If you were going the speed limit, surely you would've seen the runners?
Nah, it was daylight, I was doing less than the limit (by 0.3 MPH), they were way out in the road and oblivious to traffic (yakking) on a fairly sharp bend, wind was calm, road surface dry, I was not drunk and I had my headlights on. I'll go back and take some pictures if you want.... No wait, that wasn't the question, it was about why do people run in the road?
I'm not saying it was close, but I just don't understand why. Thanks for asking about my adherence to speed limits though, the cops in the neighborhood were all at dunking donuts this morning.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 12:55 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

- Tim
Seeing that your Austin, they seem to be a heathy bunch down there, my last trip there, I must of been a couple thousand cyclists and joggers around (well it was a saturday morning and some sort of race going on).

Where I am, there are hardly any pavements, I tried to cycle to work once, I felt like most people wanted to hit me, rather than go around me, so had to knock that on the head.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 12:56 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, it was daylight, I was doing less than the limit (by 0.3 MPH), they were way out in the road and oblivious to traffic (yakking) on a fairly sharp bend, wind was calm, road surface dry, I was not drunk and I had my headlights on. I'll go back and take some pictures if you want.... No wait, that wasn't the question, it was about why do people run in the road?
I'm not saying it was close, but I just don't understand why. Thanks for asking about my adherence to speed limits though, the cops in the neighborhood were all at dunking donuts this morning.
Careful, there. You've given Celsius more than enough probable cause. I just heard you admit hanging out at Drunken Donuts and driving away under the influence.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

I run on the road because there aren't any sidewalks where I live but only around the neighbourhood where the speed limit is 25mph.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 28th 2006, 2:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious. Isn't there a school track close enough that you can go there for your run or perhaps a state park with a track or a college? Why does anyone have to run on city streets, curbs or roads is beyond me when it is just as easy and safer to use the tracks set up for that purpose.

Originally Posted by Rompers
I run on the road because there aren't any sidewalks where I live but only around the neighbourhood where the speed limit is 25mph.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Just curious. Isn't there a school track close enough that you can go there for your run or perhaps a state park with a track or a college? Why does anyone have to run on city streets, curbs or roads is beyond me when it is just as easy and safer to use the tracks set up for that purpose.
No. Plus I like to run from my front door. I should explain I'm talking about running around a sub-division. The streets are also used by kids riding bikes and playing and the traffic crawls round at 20 mph.

At this time of year I run on a treadmill as it's too hot outside but its nice to run in the fresh air when I can.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 4:16 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I run about 30 miles a week. Running on a track is so boring that it's not worth doing unless it's a speed workout. State parks are good for running but then you've usually got the time and hassle of getting in the car and driving to wherever you're running. Generally, it's much easier to just go out your front door and start running.

Having said that, I definitely stick to sidewalks and bike paths in my area. This isn't a problem where I live.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I run about 30 miles a week. Running on a track is so boring that it's not worth doing unless it's a speed workout. State parks are good for running but then you've usually got the time and hassle of getting in the car and driving to wherever you're running. Generally, it's much easier to just go out your front door and start running.

Having said that, I definitely stick to sidewalks and bike paths in my area. This isn't a problem where I live.
How do you know? After 5 days you'd be 150 miles away!!
Old Jun 28th 2006, 6:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot of runners around here, local highschool has a half decent running team apparently, but most of the kids run on the road, and there is, surprisingly, pavements in this town....also notice cyclists, when you see them, on the wrong side of the road, except this one bloke who always looks stoned
Old Jun 28th 2006, 6:37 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Oi Tim do you have a red pickup licence 1 4 ZULU? There were UK and England stickers on said car.

Gave me an excuse to explain Zulu time to Toon.

I think asphalt "gives" more than concrete, and the road tends to go in a straighter line than the sidewalks in my own suburban neighbourhood, where curves are "in."
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I think asphalt "gives" more than concrete,...
that's what good shoes are for, and if there running for exercise, wonky pavements should be what there looking for surely?
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:26 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
that's what good shoes are for, and if there running for exercise, wonky pavements should be what there looking for surely?
you nuts? all that does is jar your "suspension" -- ie your knees mainly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.