British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Rugby gap year (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/rugby-gap-year-761016/)

rugbyali Jun 10th 2012 7:43 pm

Re: Rugby gap year

Also, I have just re-checked through my emails and the coach of Long Island Rugby club advised me to get a 6 months travelers visa, he's mistaken right??

fatbrit Jun 10th 2012 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by rugbyali (Post 10111187)
Also, I have just re-checked through my emails and the coach of Long Island Rugby club advised me to get a 6 months travelers visa, he's mistaken right??

Yep! A B-2 visa application would be a grave mistake.

rugbyali Aug 12th 2012 8:41 pm

Yep! A B-2 visa application would be a grave mistake.
Am I being stupid but why?

According to wiki
Under the category of temporary visitor for pleasure, a B2 visa can be used to:
Travel within the US
Visit family or friends
Participate in activities of a fraternal, social, or service nature
Obtain medical treatment

Are these hard to obtain?

ian-mstm Aug 12th 2012 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by rugbyali (Post 10223524)
Am I being stupid but why?

Why? Because if you are eligible for the VWP, you're unlikely to get a B-2 visa. If you apply for a B-2 visa and it is denied, you must thereafter declare that visa denial on every subsequent visa application... including ESTA. If the B-2 is denied, you must update ESTA and that usually results in ESTA also being denied for at least 6 months. That'd probably put a damper on your travel plans.

Note also that there are only 2 possible outcomes when you apply for a visa: approval or denial. Everything that is not an approval is a denial... everything - including the officer telling you that you really don't need a B-2 visa because you're eligible for the VWP!

Have you read some of the stories here from people who thought a B-2 would be a walk in the park but didn't get it? So, what's your risk tolerance for failure?

Ian

rugbyali Aug 13th 2012 10:00 am

Why? Because if you are eligible for the VWP, you're unlikely to get a B-2 visa. If you apply for a B-2 visa and it is denied, you must thereafter declare that visa denial on every subsequent visa application... including ESTA. If the B-2 is denied, you must update ESTA and that usually results in ESTA also being denied for at least 6 months. That'd probably put a damper on your travel plans.

Note also that there are only 2 possible outcomes when you apply for a visa: approval or denial. Everything that is not an approval is a denial... everything - including the officer telling you that you really don't need a B-2 visa because you're eligible for the VWP!

Have you read some of the stories here from people who thought a B-2 would be a walk in the park but didn't get it? So, what's your risk tolerance for failure?

Ian
Well lets just say my plans don't include getting denied a visa

kimilseung Aug 13th 2012 9:15 pm

Looks like he is moving on to pastures new.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=768233

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 13th 2012 9:28 pm

Logical.

brit0ninusa Aug 16th 2012 2:04 pm

hmm rugby in America, Can't imagine Americans playing rugby, maybe rugby union which I guess you can call it touch rugby.

caleyjag Aug 17th 2012 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by brit0ninusa (Post 10230569)
hmm rugby in America, Can't imagine Americans playing rugby, maybe rugby union which I guess you can call it touch rugby.

Rugby is alive and well in the US. In fact it is in pretty rude health, and one of the fastest growing sports.

Of course the yanks, being intelligent and discerning fellows, have adopted the splendid sport of rugby union, rather than the neanderthal borefest that is rugby league.

brit0ninusa Aug 17th 2012 2:16 pm

Are you kidding, league is the toughest sport in the world, union is touch and pass, sorry that would be too physical. I can believe its the fastest growing sport in America, cause the yanks are bunch of shandy drinking softies. Lol