Reload this Page >

Rugby gap year

Rugby gap year

Old Jun 7th 2012, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

rugbyali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rugby gap year

Hi this is my first post so here goes,

I know you are probably sick and tired of people asking "where should I relocate to?" But basically when I am 18 I am planning a gap year to play rugby and I would like to move to a city with good public transport so I can get around and have good weather. Price of accomodation or rent should not be a problem as I could get assisstance from the club. I would like to move to a city where there is plenty to do.

Thank you for your time
Old Jun 7th 2012, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rugby gap year

Originally Posted by rugbyali
I know you are probably sick and tired of people asking "where should I relocate to?"
What I'm sick and tired of, is people asking nebulous questions that can't possibly be answered given the scant information provided.

I would like to move to a city where there is plenty to do.
I don't think there are any cities in the US that offer rugby, good weather, public transportation, and plenty to do. What does "good weather" mean? If you like snow, Denver CO has good weather. If you like humidity, Lexington KY has good weather. If you like museums, then New York City NY has plenty.

Do you get it yet? You need to be more specific. If you can't be more specific, there's really nothing more to say.

Ian
Old Jun 7th 2012, 10:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I know you are probably sick and tired of people asking "where should I relocate to?" But basically when I am 18 I am planning a gap year to play rugby and I would like to move to a city with good public transport so I can get around and have good weather. Price of accomodation or rent should not be a problem as I could get assisstance from the club. I would like to move to a city where there is plenty to do.

Thank you for your time
The first thing you need is an appropriate visa to do this in the USA, especially if you plan to get assistance (money or room and board) from the club. Do you have a club in mind? Have you spoken to them about it? Have they hired or sponsored foreign rugby players before?

You can come to the USA as a visitor on the VWP for up to 90 days and just play rugby for fun, wherever you are visiting. But if you want to stay a full year, for the purpose of playing for a team, and receiving assistance from the team, you will need to get a team or club to sponsor some kind of visa for you.

Rene
Old Jun 7th 2012, 10:38 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The first thing you need is an appropriate visa to do this in the USA, especially if you plan to get assistance (money or room and board) from the club. Do you have a club in mind? Have you spoken to them about it? Have they hired or sponsored foreign rugby players before?

You can come to the USA as a visitor on the VWP for up to 90 days and just play rugby for fun, wherever you are visiting. But if you want to stay a full year, for the purpose of playing for a team, and receiving assistance from the team, you will need to get a team or club to sponsor some kind of visa for you.

Rene
My sister can play rugby better than the USA national team, so I reckon that visas for this must be ten-a-penny...
Old Jun 7th 2012, 10:48 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your time

Barnsley.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you first need an employer who will sponsor you for a H-2 visa.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

I don't think there are any cities in the US that offer rugby, good weather, public transportation, and plenty to do...
If you like sweating your balls off in the summer and snow in the winter, Boston.

There's a fair bit of rugby here, especially in the ladies game.

To the OP, unless you're a American citizen, it's not going to happen, not unless you're world class already.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:22 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Would a college scholarship work?
My BiL works for a college as a soccer coach and he brings in people from the UK and Australia and S America, on various levels of scholarship. If the OP is half decent they might get a college to fund something. I have even heard rumors of creative ways to legitimize illegals if they are found to have a sporting talent. The college I am talking about is a comparatively tiny place in the sticks too.

The OP does not talk about a job as such.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I didn't know they played rugby here.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:25 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I have been surprised at the amount of Rugby played here. All a bit niche of course. Even among the players, if you ask them, if they play Union or League, they just stare at you blank. (it all seems to be Union)
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I have been surprised at the amount of Rugby played here. All a bit niche of course. Even among the players, if you ask them, if they play Union or League, they just stare at you blank. (it all seems to be Union)
A quick Google suggests it's all union.

I wonder if OP has made contact with any clubs already?
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That's being generous.

It's shit and looks more on par with a bad school game generally. But it is getting quite popular with a few colleges and it's played a fair bit in Boston and in parts of Maine and NH.

Then again, if you know where to look, folks even play cricket here.

Though it's probably less embarrassing to admit to having a fancy to being whipped by hookers in a dungeon
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:32 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by Bob
That's being generous.

It's shit and looks more on par with a bad school game generally. But it is getting quite popular with a few colleges and it's played a fair bit in Boston and in parts of Maine and NH.
My other BiL went on tour of Australia when he was at college, he said they got murdered every game. What a country to pick to tour, they must have had a sadist coach.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob

Though it's probably less embarrassing to admit to having a fancy to being whipped by hookers in a dungeon
Can you get a visa for that?
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The only thing that makes sense is that he has posted in the wrong country forum.

There is an old farts competition in Aspen in September.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.