Rsvp

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:30 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rsvp

What is it with invitations here.....or rather not replying to them?

3rd year on the trot we've sent out birthday invites for my toddlers birthday (he was 4 this year) to the kids in his "class" at "school" and his baby/toddlergroup friends. Every year, we get replies from the Europeans, Scandinavians, Asians etc, but never from the Americans - or at least we only get a reply from a small proportion - this year 1 in 6 replied that they were coming, and the rest just ignored it.

Same thing has happened with a party for our one month old daughter this weekend (its a Chinese Tradition) - we have 60 invites out and have had literally a handful of replies.

To me it seems incredibly rude, but I just wondered if people here don't recognise RSVP requests - is it just a cultural difference? Or are we being too forward with our toddlers invites inviting kids that he knows but whose parents we don't know? Or do people just plain not like us
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:09 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rsvp

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
What is it with invitations here.....or rather not replying to them?

3rd year on the trot we've sent out birthday invites for my toddlers birthday (he was 4 this year) to the kids in his "class" at "school" and his baby/toddlergroup friends. Every year, we get replies from the Europeans, Scandinavians, Asians etc, but never from the Americans - or at least we only get a reply from a small proportion - this year 1 in 6 replied that they were coming, and the rest just ignored it.

Same thing has happened with a party for our one month old daughter this weekend (its a Chinese Tradition) - we have 60 invites out and have had literally a handful of replies.

To me it seems incredibly rude, but I just wondered if people here don't recognise RSVP requests - is it just a cultural difference? Or are we being too forward with our toddlers invites inviting kids that he knows but whose parents we don't know? Or do people just plain not like us
I've noticed the same thing with thank you notes, I always write a little note to say thank you, even if it is someone I don't know that well, I have yet to recieve one from any US associates, maybe we just expect too much
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:47 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
I've noticed the same thing with thank you notes, I always write a little note to say thank you, even if it is someone I don't know that well, I have yet to recieve one from any US associates, maybe we just expect too much
Same peeve for me. Even in the card shops there are hardly any thank you cards, and New Home cards are a real rarity.

On the other hand, if you want Happy Secretary Day, or Vet Tech Assistant Twice Removed Day, they'll have a ton of them.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:51 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
Ah now we've seen the opposite on thank you notes - get a LOT more here. I always make sure they're sent for presents that arrive, or if someones put us up for the weekend or whatever - here we get them thru for "being a good friend", "being there when needed" etc etc in addition to the "normal" ones. I put that down to the fact that most of my US contacts are actually women and I figured it was maybe a girly thing to do (ducks and runs for cover)
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 3:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Have to provide a self addressed envelope, with the reply card wedding style, or people just don't bother.....very lazy...
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Bob
Have to provide a self addressed envelope, with the reply card wedding style, or people just don't bother.....very lazy...
You're joking right...tell me you're joking.....
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

don't forget the stamps. People like return envelopes to be stamped ready to just pop in the mailbox.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Even a phone call to say that they are coming would not cost as much as a stamp. It is very rude when they don't tell you whether or not they are coming. If they didn't reply, I would just not cater for them.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 11:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
You're joking right...tell me you're joking.....
sadly I'm not...it is very silly....oh, and like already mentioned, having the envelope stamped goes a long way to convince them to bother to actually post the reply...

Don't know why they can't just ring or email a response though, but they don't...well it isn't the norm from what I've seen at least..
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 12:47 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
Same peeve for me. Even in the card shops there are hardly any thank you cards, and New Home cards are a real rarity.

On the other hand, if you want Happy Secretary Day, or Vet Tech Assistant Twice Removed Day, they'll have a ton of them.
Not a problem finding Thank You cards in the US if you know where to look. As well as card shops, I've found them in Dollar stores, and places like Target and K-Mart.

NC Penguin
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:01 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Not a problem finding Thank You cards in the US if you know where to look. As well as card shops, I've found them in Dollar stores, and places like Target and K-Mart.
NC Penguin
Still not commonplace, unless I want to hike the 20 miles to the mall.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Still not commonplace, unless I want to hike the 20 miles to the mall.
That's weird. They're everywhere down here. Maybe the fact we live in the south where folk are more polite?
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:56 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

*Some* people can be lame, no doubt about it... but most of my friends are the thank you note sending type, as am I. (all 'mericans)

As far as invites, perhaps you should try e-vite, and/or include an email address as well for the RSVP. It's the technology age, and I've found that for the more "formal" parties I've thrown like showers, etc, including an email address along with regular address and phone number on the RSVP part of the invitation insures many more replies than address and/or phone number alone. People are used to communicating via email these days, and frankly, I think it's an extremely efficient method of replying to an RSVP.

If you do do that, and people still don't reply- a "blanket" email to the lame-o's right around the RSVP date might help get additional replies.

Good luck!
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Those ones tend to be a bit shite though, well around here, and expensive...well cards in general are a bit, for anything half decent at least...and while i'm ranting, what is it with them all having the price on the back? Bit rude that...what's wrong with using a sales code or somin'...
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:45 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

But why do you need pre-printed thank-you cards? Why not write your thanks on a blank 'arty' card! I always pick some up when I visit an art gallery. - so much nicer than a bland, generic card from Wallymart...

Elvira

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.