Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Royal wedding

Wikiposts

Royal wedding

Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:06 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Royal wedding

Originally Posted by dragonfly
Will any expats be watching the upcomming wedding of Prince Charles to Camilla Parker Bowls that will be screened on BBC America on 9th April? Most of my co-workers are very excited about the wedding probally more so than the British public says it all really!
PUKE!! no I will not!!! I don't get BBC America but they're showing it on some other cable channel...

And why do U.S reporters talk about , ""the enduring love-affair!! etc yuck! yeah endured two marriages those cheating mongrels!!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:23 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hammo
I think Manc summed it up in a nutshell

Anyway a certain scandalous weekly email said last week that there's rumours in newsrooms over there that the reason why Charlie is tying the knot now is because the Queen is ill and might not be around much longer.

Probably a load of bull given that her mother lived to be over 100 but it makes you wonder why they decided to marry out of the blue...
Well everyone else is kicking the bucket.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
PUKE!! no I will not!!! I don't get BBC America but they're showing it on some other cable channel...

And why do U.S reporters talk about , ""the enduring love-affair!! etc yuck! yeah endured two marriages those cheating mongrels!!

the key word is 'affair' - they are trying .. albeit poorly, to legitimiize adultery
all in the context of Charles becoming King...

a tall task in anyones' book, religous or otherwise differences aside..

in my opinion the Queen has taken the proper stance as the head of the Church of England, to not attend the ceremony, as she also took by not attending the funeral of the Pope.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 10:43 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

So, back in 1936 when Eddie wanted to marry Wallis, the government opposed.

2 December 1936: Baldwin tells the King none of his governments are willing to agree to a morganatic marriage, and that he now has three choices: to finish his relationship with Mrs Simpson, to marry against the advice of his ministers who would then resign, or to abdicate.
(from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2701463.stm )
Can someone refresh my memory as to why the government (and apparantly the populus) opposed the marriage. Was it because she was a divorcee or because she was American?

How is it any different to what Charles is planning today?
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:52 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete

Can someone refresh my memory as to why the government (and apparantly the populus) opposed the marriage. Was it because she was a divorcee or because she was American?

Good point. The only difference I can see is that Edward was already King when he wanted to get married. Don't know why that would make any difference tho.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

i think it is all a load of bolocks.....does anyone even care......so they're getting married.....whats scaring me is the image of the wedding night......black leather and studs keep jumping in my mind...*shudder*
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:06 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I think the least charles should do is apologise to her ex-husband for knocking her off during their marriage.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I think the least charles should do is apologise to her ex-husband for knocking her off during their marriage.
why???..........why should he apolagise for falling in love.....
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:17 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmals
why???..........why should he apolagise for falling in love.....
don't you think it's rather rude for the heir to the throne to be boning someone else's wife?
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:18 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

don't you think it's rather rude for the heir to the throne to be boning someone else's wife?
Actually I think it's a long-standing tradition.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:18 am
Consistently Inconsistent

Hammo is a jewel in the roughHammo is a jewel in the roughHammo is a jewel in the roughHammo is a jewel in the roughHammo is a jewel in the rough

i think it is all a load of bolocks.....does anyone even care......so they're getting married.....whats scaring me is the image of the wedding night......black leather and studs keep jumping in my mind...*shudder*
Yuck - you've just put me off my cornflakes!
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shit happens!...just cos they are royalty doesn't mean they don't have needs and urges....anyway it wasn't just about boning...it was about love.....your bloody feisty today....we are talking about the monarchy...remember
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:21 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
It was because Wallis-Simpson was a divorcee. According an article in a February issue of the "Hello!" magazine, the rules have changed since then (more than once it would appear). Finally in 2002 it was decided by the General Synod of the C of E remarriage would be allowed in "exceptional circumstances" leaving it largely to the discretion of the individual clergy. So it would appear that the Archibishop of Canterbury supporting this marriage is a key factor. Charles as the heir to the throne also requires the consent of the queen and Parliament which he apparently already has.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to them both. And with the mess the wedding plans have been so far, they are going to need it!. I shall not be watching and although I'm not really interested by the Royals, I would fully support Charlie boy as King and Horse face in whatever title she ends up with.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:24 am
@matthewb76

we are talking about the monarchy...remember
yes we are.............
terraced houses in Sheffield.............

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.