Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Routers and Home Phone Services

Wikiposts

Routers and Home Phone Services

Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Routers and Home Phone Services

I was thinking that the reason it cuts out is because that old router can't handle the demand when too many things are connected. Hopefully by getting a new one which should be able to handle the demand then I won't need to buy one from elsewhere. Fingers crossed thats the case anyway
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:13 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
However upgrading your cable speed won't do you much good for your wi-fi connection since you are pretty much limited to about 15 mb/s without a 802.11n dual band router. Only on a direct connection, you will see a significant speed improvement with the old router.
Just helped a friend with their TWC internet/phone/tv setup and that is exactly what they are giving out now.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
Just helped a friend with their TWC internet/phone/tv setup and that is exactly what they are giving out now.
So is that going to help me? Sorry I've got confused again
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
I was thinking that the reason it cuts out is because that old router can't handle the demand when too many things are connected. Hopefully by getting a new one which should be able to handle the demand then I won't need to buy one from elsewhere. Fingers crossed thats the case anyway
But you aren't going to get a router from Time Warner but only a cable modem so I don't understand what you are referring to. Also you didn't explain what you have connected to the router via wi-fi which is generally the bottleneck and can cause disconnection problems. Generally all of the routers (even the old ones) have at least 50 mb/s throughput to the cable modem so even many direct connections doesn't have much of an effect on throughput or unreliability.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying they are supplying a 802.11n router also besides the cable modem. Comcast doesn't supply routers so I didn't expect that.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

We've got 3 laptops, 3 phones, and an xbox 360. It can usually handle a combination of 3 of them but when everything is connected it boots everyone off until the router is rebooted.

The woman on the phone at TWC said that they would supply a wireless cable modem which would fix eveything with just one device plugged in instead of a cable modem and a router. Hopefully Sime303 can confirm whether this is the case.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible that is all the speed that Time Warner supports on it's line (seems very low), the server you are using may be bogged down so try other servers to make sure, or the cable modem is DOCSIS 1.1 which is pretty old.
It's TW and in Maine....that's why it is shit...

One other problem with getting own modem might be the TV guide on the tele box, I don't remember it being a problem when we were using Adelphia pre the buy out, but it certainly is with FIOS, which can be hacked to work, but it's a major process.

On the modem with the built in wireless, if it's anything like the Verizon FIOS one, it's shit...it is n rated, but not n spec compliant, so it puts out 65mbps instead of 130 or so over the home network.

Much better to have your own modem and a wireless router separate if you can. Hardwire whatever you can, the desktop and 360 and then select a wireless channel to use after running through them to see which works best rather than using the automatic channel selection....and the microwave will munt the wireless big time, which we found at our old place, very annoying as the folks upstairs lived out of the microwave, it was going off at all times in the evening as they fed the kids and when the chap came home from work. Meh.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:33 am

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying they are supplying a 802.11n router also besides the cable modem. Comcast doesn't supply routers so I didn't expect that.
Yeah built in router/modem. Either wireless or wired and also voip if desired.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:38 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The woman on the phone at TWC said that they would supply a wireless cable modem which would fix eveything with just one device plugged in instead of a cable modem and a router. Hopefully Sime303 can confirm whether this is the case.
But then you're stuck with their router and all its bugs unless you can set it to bridged mode.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I had real problems with my wi-fi and connection when I move to my condo. Eventually I purchased a bluetooth transmitter and headset, a Samsung TV and blueray player that had 802.11n capabilities, a wireless printer with 802.11n capabilities, a laptop with 802.11n capabilities, and an iPod with 802.11n capabilities but only had a 802.11b/g router so therefore had to use the 2.4 GHz band for everything as well as conflicting with the neighbors. Every time I tried to use the bluetooth headset, I'd get intermittent dropouts.

Finally I purchased a 802.11n dual band router and connected the laptop using the 5 GHz band but still had dropouts. Then I connected the TV to the 5 GHz band and still had dropouts. Then I connected the blueray player on the 5 GHz band and the dropouts disappeared even though I wasn't using the blueray player.

Luckily the printer and iPod transmits at such low power that it doesn't interfere with the bluetooth system since neither supports the 5 GHz band.

Also since I changed everything, I no longer lose my internet connection from my laptop when the microwave is on.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:41 am

So is that going to help me? Sorry I've got confused again
Yes they are giving out what Michael was telling you to get a docsis 3.0 802.11n modem.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah built in router/modem. Either wireless or wired and also voip if desired.
I'd still prefer to own my own separate router and cable modem. They may supply you with the hardware and a guide to installing them (which is usually incorrect) but if you have a problem, they will likely charge you a service call and tell you that the problem is yours since you misunderstood the instructions.

Many of the new 802.11n dual band routers will determine every thing about your connections automatically and set everything up without you doing much other than pressing enter a few times. The cable modems are generally plug and play. Also if new capabilities come along, you just go and purchase a new router or modem instead of both and for less than $200 for both, that will pay for itself in less than 18 months plus you will know exactly what you have.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:53 am

I'd still prefer to own my own separate router and cable modem. They may supply you with the hardware and a guide to installing them (which is usually incorrect) but if you have a problem, they will likely charge you a service call and tell you that the problem is yours since you misunderstood the instructions.

Many of the new 802.11n dual band routers will determine every thing about your connections automatically and set everything up without you doing much other than pressing enter a few times. The cable modems are generally plug and play. Also if new capabilities come along, you just go and purchase a new router or modem instead of both and for less than $200 for both, that will pay for itself in less than 18 months plus you will know exactly what you have.
Called them up to help with setup and didn't cost a thing. It was actually quite easy.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Called them up to help with setup and didn't cost a thing. It was actually quite easy.
That is only if they can get it to work over the phone but if they have to come out, they will likely charge you. I've seen some very poor guides and poor quality phone support from comcast but there generally isn't much of a problem with netgear or linksys routers anymore and if you can't make it work, has a bug routing to a specific web site that didn't occur with your old router, or any other problem, just return it and get another brand.

However if you have a routing problem getting to your favorite web site with a provider supplied router, good luck trying to solve that problem.

I mentioned that problem since I initially had a problem getting to BE with my new netgear router so I just returned it and purchased a linksys router. I suspect the problem was caused by the way netgear formed it packets (probably within specifications) but the packets couldn't get through an internet router on the way to BE since it didn't have enough tolerance to handle netgear formed packets and was out of specifications. When I talked to netgear support, they were able to get to BE with the same router so that indicates that the path that I was using to get to BE likely had an out of specifications router in the path.

Last edited by Michael; Jan 14th 2012 at 6:12 am.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't know if it matters but the cable modem i'm using is a Motorolla SB4100.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.