Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Routerless Wireless Networking

Routerless Wireless Networking

Old Nov 17th 2004, 12:53 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Routerless Wireless Networking

I have a friend in the UK that claims he has four PCs on a wireless network without a wireless router. The machine with the DSL connection acts as the gateway.

Off I went to Office Max to investigate this setup only to be told that my friend was lying and that I needed to purchase a router on top of my wireless cards.

I ignored him. Pleb!!

Got back to the house, installed the two wireless cards and after a little tweaking, I now have a wireless network with out the router.

So, if you're thinking about setting up a wireless network in your home, you don't have to have the router.

Man, it is so nice not to have the wife bugging me for online time. Now she can sit in the living room and be online at the same time as me.

The only sad thing is we keep ICQing each other when we're only 10 feet away. Still, that's how we met so it's kind of nice to be only 10 feet away rather than over 4,000 miles.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 2:50 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Routerless Wireless Networking

You have configured a peer to peer network with the computer linked to the Internet as the gateway. This is an OK solution but it is not perfect. The master computer (the one directly connected to the internet) has unlimited access to the internet but the slave will have a slower connection as it does not have equal time allocation (which it would have if you used a access point). This is not important if you only browse the internet and don't use it to download huge files.

It is without a doubt more benefial to all users to use an access point (wireless router) for many many reasons.

Patrick

Originally Posted by rincewind
I have a friend in the UK that claims he has four PCs on a wireless network without a wireless router. The machine with the DSL connection acts as the gateway.

Off I went to Office Max to investigate this setup only to be told that my friend was lying and that I needed to purchase a router on top of my wireless cards.

I ignored him. Pleb!!

Got back to the house, installed the two wireless cards and after a little tweaking, I now have a wireless network with out the router.

So, if you're thinking about setting up a wireless network in your home, you don't have to have the router.

Man, it is so nice not to have the wife bugging me for online time. Now she can sit in the living room and be online at the same time as me.

The only sad thing is we keep ICQing each other when we're only 10 feet away. Still, that's how we met so it's kind of nice to be only 10 feet away rather than over 4,000 miles.

Last edited by Patrick; Nov 17th 2004 at 2:56 am.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 3:08 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
You have configured a peer to peer network with the computer linked to the Internet as the gateway. This is an OK solution but it is not perfect. The master computer (the one directly connected to the internet) has unlimited access to the internet but the slave will have a slower connection as it does not have equal time allocation (which it would have if you used a access point). This is not important if you only browse the internet and don't use it to download huge files.

It is without a doubt more benefial to all users to use an access point (wireless router) for many many reasons.

Patrick
Right now, the speed on the second machine is as good as the master (or at least we hardly notice any real difference).

The only downside I would see is that the master machine has to be always on when you're using the second.

Agreed though, this isn't the solution for all but for me it's perfect and works just as well. As it is, the second machine is just for my wife to do her Internet browsing, so it suits us fine.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 8:37 pm
GJB
dart throwin' doofus

GJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to behold

I have DSL in my house, and am using a Microshaft MN7000 Wireless adaptor for my wife's PC and my laptop. When my laptop is in the docking station and I'm hard wired in (via Ethernet cable) I have 100mbps, same as the PC. However, when I use the Wireless Network card that I have I only get 54mbps.

My wife's PC does not need to be on for me to access the internet, the base station and modem remain on all the time.

I have noticed something kooky though, when we get a phone call and are both on the net I get knocked off, she doesn't!

Gary
Old Nov 19th 2004, 8:58 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GJB
I have DSL in my house, and am using a Microshaft MN7000 Wireless adaptor for my wife's PC and my laptop. When my laptop is in the docking station and I'm hard wired in (via Ethernet cable) I have 100mbps, same as the PC. However, when I use the Wireless Network card that I have I only get 54mbps.Gary
Although it may say 100 mbps, your internet connection speed does not change... its between 256kbps and maybe 6 mbps

you have a 100 mbit ethernet care in your base station, whereas the WLAN card offers max 54 mbps
Old Nov 20th 2004, 2:22 am
Taunton, Somerset to PA

mikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud of

we are on Comcast cable so we have our cable plugged into a wireless "d-link" box, so my lap-top and both our PDAs are all wireless and the main pc does not have to be on as the connection is always on.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

jackhathaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please give me details about your Setup ---for Routerless Wireless Networking

Hi

Just reading your post on Setting up a Router WiFi network.

Conceptually, I get the part about setting up an Ad Hoc network and using one PC as the Internet gateway.

What I need help with are the exact settings required to duplicate this.

Specifically, i need to know

1) the network settings for the Internet-connected PC

2) the Network setting for the Ad hoc networked PCs (or PDAs).

I hate to ask you this, but if at all possible it would be great if you could include as much detail about the settings as possible.

Thank you

Jack

I ignored him. Pleb!!

Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please give me details about your Setup ---for Routerless Wireless Networking

Originally Posted by jackhathaway
Hi
Just reading your post on Setting up a Router WiFi network.
Conceptually, I get the part about setting up an Ad Hoc network and using one PC as the Internet gateway.
What I need help with are the exact settings required to duplicate this.
FFS .. these post are two years old ..... try and get with the program ...
If you have a computer question ..start a new thread in "THE LAB"
section...
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:56 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please give me details about your Setup ---for Routerless Wireless Networking

Originally Posted by Ray
FFS .. these post are two years old ..... try and get with the program ...
If you have a computer question ..start a new thread in "THE LAB"
section...
Did Mr Grumpy wake up too soon from his afternoon nap?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Did Mr Grumpy wake up too soon from his afternoon nap?
No!!! I had to go out and sort out an idiots pool heater .....
Nap coming up in a hour or so ...
Old Oct 29th 2006, 9:35 pm
You Are All Diseased

Geez, who dug this piece of crap thread up???
Old Oct 29th 2006, 9:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Geez, who dug this piece of crap thread up???
kudos for actually bothering to use the search function though...
Old Oct 30th 2006, 1:24 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
kudos for actually bothering to use the search function though...
Hee hee agreed! Actually I prefer using a router. It acts as a natural buffer against any nasties that might come down the line.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 3:33 am
sas
Forum Regular

sas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nice

jees!! everyone knows that all you need to do is just connect to your neighbors unsecured router
Old Oct 30th 2006, 3:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sas
jees!! everyone knows that all you need to do is just connect to your neighbors unsecured router
held us through in maine

though over here, though there's about 4 unsecured networks, the signal was phish *l*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.