Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Roth (US pension) taxed at 30% ?

Wikiposts

Roth (US pension) taxed at 30% ?

Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Roth (US pension) taxed at 30% ?

I posted the message below in the Moving Back to UK board, but thought it might be of use as a forewarning in the US board.

---

After moving back to the UK, the custodian of a Roth IRA I have, wrote to me. They say that IRA's and qualified plans have tax withheld at 30% for non-resident aliens.
My understanding is that no tax is payable on a Roth as the contribution had already been taxed.
Is there anyone who has returned and recently started receiving their IRA or 401k pension? I would be glad to hear from them about their experiences in getting their pension, both good and bad.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:00 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roth (US pension) taxed at 30% ?

Originally Posted by ricko
I posted the message below in the Moving Back to UK board, but thought it might be of use as a forewarning in the US board.

---

After moving back to the UK, the custodian of a Roth IRA I have, wrote to me. They say that IRA's and qualified plans have tax withheld at 30% for non-resident aliens.
My understanding is that no tax is payable on a Roth as the contribution had already been taxed.
Is there anyone who has returned and recently started receiving their IRA or 401k pension? I would be glad to hear from them about their experiences in getting their pension, both good and bad.
The income earned by the IRA would be taxable, I don't know why the contributions would be..
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
The income earned by the IRA would be taxable, I don't know why the contributions would be..
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not an extremely knowledgeable at IRA's. That being said, I believe that since the contributions you make to a Roth IRA have already been taxed, you aren't supposed to pay taxes when you actually start receiving the IRA. Whereas, traditional IRA's are contributed pre-tax, therefore you pay taxes once you start receiving your retirement. Look here: http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/tips/20010328a.asp. In the first paragraph it states "If you opt for a Roth account, you won't get an immediate tax break, but you won't pay any tax on your money when you eventually take it out."

But I have no clue how the non-resident alien thing works into this scenario.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:38 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not an extremely knowledgeable at IRA's. That being said, I believe that since the contributions you make to a Roth IRA have already been taxed, you aren't supposed to pay taxes when you actually start receiving the IRA. Whereas, traditional IRA's are contributed pre-tax, therefore you pay taxes once you start receiving your retirement. Look here: http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/tips/20010328a.asp. In the first paragraph it states "If you opt for a Roth account, you won't get an immediate tax break, but you won't pay any tax on your money when you eventually take it out."

But I have no clue how the non-resident alien thing works into this scenario.
True, but I assumed they were withdrawing it early to repat to the UK, so the money earned by the contributions would be taxable.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
True, but I assumed they were withdrawing it early to repat to the UK, so the money earned by the contributions would be taxable.
Ahh, I assumed the OP wasn't withdrawing it early. I figured he was of retirement age, and was finding out that the earnings are taxable due to him being a non-resident alien.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Ahh, I assumed the OP wasn't withdrawing it early. I figured he was of retirement age, and was finding out that the earnings are taxable due to him being a non-resident alien.
I am NOT withdrawing it early!!
If you do that I believe that you will get a 20% penalty.
The 30% withholding would be for distributions after retirement age.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ricko
I am NOT withdrawing it early!!
If you do that I believe that you will get a 20% penalty.
The 30% withholding would be for distributions after retirement age.
For a Roth IRA that would be odd given that withdrawals are normally tax-free and the Roth IRA is specifically mentioned in the UK-US tax treaty as a "qualified pension scheme". I would certainly try and cross-check this information as it really seems strange.

Remember there are some circumstances where a Roth IRA distribution is taxable:- the two I can think of are when you're under 59 1/2 and when you are withdrawing contributions that were recharacterized from a regular IRA less than five (?) years earlier. Maybe this is the basis for the "justification"?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:25 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious too.. can you get more information?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:53 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Publication 515, Withholding of Tax on Non-Resident Aliens, talks about 30% withholding for all sorts of income. I assume the reason is, if you don't live in the jurisdiction, you'd be tempted not to file your tax return, and the 30% withheld would encourage you to do so.

This applies to IRAs and qualified plans, but shouldn't apply to Roths. Maybe the plan person was writing about the general situation, not knowing the OP was thinking primarily about a Roth?

Robin
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:25 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Publication 515, Withholding of Tax on Non-Resident Aliens, talks about 30% withholding for all sorts of income. I assume the reason is, if you don't live in the jurisdiction, you'd be tempted not to file your tax return, and the 30% withheld would encourage you to do so.

This applies to IRAs and qualified plans, but shouldn't apply to Roths. Maybe the plan person was writing about the general situation, not knowing the OP was thinking primarily about a Roth?

Robin
So the tax is withheld but can be refunded by filing a tax return?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 12:44 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
So the tax is withheld but can be refunded by filing a tax return?
Exactly right. But, withholding should be from taxable income only, not non-taxable income. I'm just a tax payer, not someone who's studied these matters deeply, but (as others have stated) I believe a distribution from a Roth IRA account should be non-taxable since the money went into the account after tax.

Robin