British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Romney/Obama policy comparison tool (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/romney-obama-policy-comparison-tool-772302/)

Anian Sep 21st 2012 3:34 pm

Romney/Obama policy comparison tool

I saw an interactive website tool on tv the other day, that lets you input your income and household size and it would show you a comparison of how you would do financially under both Romney and Obama's planned policies (it gave a cash amount!). It also had a map of how well each county in the USA would benefit from each one. I can't find this website anywhere. I thought the tv show said it was on politico.com, but no luck finding it there, and googling for it has been fruitless - only showing much more vague comparisons rather than any numbers. Anyone else seen a tool like that and could tell me where to find it?

Bink Sep 21st 2012 3:44 pm

Re: Romney/Obama policy comparison tool

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 10292844)
I saw an interactive website tool on tv the other day, that lets you input your income and household size and it would show you a comparison of how you would do financially under both Romney and Obama's planned policies (it gave a cash amount!). It also had a map of how well each county in the USA would benefit from each one. I can't find this website anywhere. I thought the tv show said it was on politico.com, but no luck finding it there, and googling for it has been fruitless - only showing much more vague comparisons rather than any numbers. Anyone else seen a tool like that and could tell me where to find it?

You don't mean this very basic one (on Obama's site) do you?
http://www.barackobama.com/tax-calculator/

fatbrit Sep 21st 2012 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 10292844)

How's it possible? Romney isn't going to reveal his plan until after he's elected.

sir_eccles Sep 21st 2012 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 10292873)
How's it possible? Romney isn't going to reveal his plan until after he's elected.

"Stop it. This is hard!"

Anian Sep 21st 2012 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bink (Post 10292863)
You don't mean this very basic one (on Obama's site) do you?
http://www.barackobama.com/tax-calculator/

That looks exactly like the one they showed, but with fewer functions, thanks. It's good enough for my purposes.

Bink Sep 21st 2012 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 10293134)
That looks exactly like the one they showed, but with fewer functions, thanks. It's good enough for my purposes.

No problem. It wouldn't work in IE for me but did in Firefox.

Manc Sep 21st 2012 8:23 pm

Romney is a comparison tool to Obama alright.

HarryTheSpider Sep 21st 2012 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 10292894)

One of the comments posted to this particular blog...

JohnYuEsq
2:43 PM MST
Money means power. Concentrated wealth at the top means extraordinary power at the top. The reason Romney pays a rate of only 14 percent on $13 million of income in 2011 -- a lower rate than many in the middle class -- is because he exploits a loophole that allows private equity managers to treat their income as capital gains, taxed at only 15 percent.

And that loophole exists solely because private equity and hedge fund managers have so much political clout -- as a result of their huge fortunes and the money they've donated to political candidates -- that neither party will remove it.

In other words, everything America is learning about Mitt Romney -- his tax returns, his years at Bain Capital, the video of his speech to high-end donors in which he belittles half of America, his gaffes, the budget policies he promotes -- repeat and reenforce the same underlying reality.

So much wealth and power have accumulated at the top of America that our economy and our democracy are seriously threatened. Romney not only represents this problem. He is the living embodiment of it.

ROBERT B. REICH, Chancellor's Professor of Public Policy at the University of California at Berkeley

Sally Redux Sep 22nd 2012 12:18 am

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider (Post 10293288)
One of the comments posted to this particular blog...

It seems counter intuitive that people should pay a lower rate on income that they haven't worked for. But as the comment says, that's the power of Wall Street.

Bob Sep 22nd 2012 3:38 pm

The new banner Romney has is amusing... "Better than Bush" :D

Sally Redux Sep 22nd 2012 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10294327)
The new banner Romney has is amusing... "Better than Bush" :D

:lol:

zargof Sep 26th 2012 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10293433)
It seems counter intuitive that people should pay a lower rate on income that they haven't worked for. But as the comment says, that's the power of Wall Street.

The rationale is that if you tax capital gains too high then it would discourage those with money from investing it and hence would be detrimental to the economy, as they would either squirrel the money away, or invest it overseas where the capital gains tax is lower. I don't necessarily agree with that argument, but that's what it is.

What the comment says to me is that is just reinforces my belief that George Carlin was right about the owners of this country and that politics is all a sideshow to make the proles think they have some power.

Leslie Sep 26th 2012 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 10292894)

No, it's not "hard". "Hard" is a wooden plank to the side of the head, which is exactly what's she's going to get if she tells me ONE MORE TIME how lucky I am to have a man like her husband running for president.

That comment tells me just exactly how totally frikkin out of touch and living in cloud-cuckoo-land the Romeney's really are.

HighCountry Sep 26th 2012 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10301040)
That comment tells me just exactly how totally frikkin out of touch and living in cloud-cuckoo-land the Romneys really are.

It's all fun and games until you realise that he has over 40% in the polls.

zargof Sep 26th 2012 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by HighCountry (Post 10301245)
It's all fun and games until you realise that he has over 40% in the polls.

Yeah, but Clint Eastwood's chair would have over 40% in the polls.