Roku?

Old Feb 16th 2014, 6:45 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roku?

Originally Posted by Michael
The following is a list of real life throughputs for the different WI-FI protocols.

802.11b - 2-3 Mbps downstream, up to 5-6 Mbps with some vendor-specific extensions.
802.11g - ~20 Mbps downstream
802.11n - 40-50 Mbps typical, varying greatly depending on configuration, whether it is mixed or N-only network, the number of bonded channels, etc. Specifying a channel, and using 40MHz channels can help achieve 70-80Mbps with some newer routers. Up to 100 Mbps achievable with more expensive commercial equipment with 8x8 arrays, gigabit ports, etc.
802.11ac - 70-100 Mbps

http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=374

It appears that even "N" type routers (especially the N-150 routers) may possibly not be able to keep up with lines speeds of 50 mbps or greater and an "AC" type router would be needed if your devices support the "AC" protocol. According to specifications, the N-150 routers are 3x faster than "g" type routers so they should be able to download at ~60 mbps and the N-300 routers are 6x faster and should download at ~120 mbps but that doesn't appear to be the real life case according to the above link.
We could just shorten this by pointing out that wireless is garbage and you should always use a wire.

Surprised you are having 5GHz issues (though god knows, win8 is shit). We are not seeing anything like that on our WAPs.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
We could just shorten this by pointing out that wireless is garbage and you should always use a wire.

Surprised you are having 5GHz issues (though god knows, win8 is shit). We are not seeing anything like that on our WAPs.
Are you using Windows 8?

I have not problems with had any Windows Vista, Samsung TV, and Blu-Ray player on the 5 GHz connection. If I can use the 5 GHz band, I get normally get 29 mbps which is the same as my line speed so I'm pretty happy when I can get the 5 GHz connection working.

Unless I want to run a 30 foot CAT5 cable across the floor to get to my router or put a desk next to my router, it would be very difficult to hardwire my Windows PC to the router.

In my opinion, Windows 8 and IE11 are far worst than Windows Vista ever was and the problems aren't being fixed.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 7:22 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Are you using Windows 8?

I have not problems with had any Windows Vista, Samsung TV, and Blu-Ray player on the 5 GHz connection. If I can use the 5 GHz band, I get normally get 29 mbps which is the same as my line speed so I'm pretty happy when I can get the 5 GHz connection working.

Unless I want to run a 30 foot CAT5 cable across the floor to get to my router or put a desk next to my router, it would be very difficult to hardwire my Windows PC to the router.

In my opinion, Windows 8 and IE11 are far worst than Windows Vista ever was and the problems aren't being fixed.
We have approx. 40 Windows 8 laptops and Tablets. They have a multitude of issues (for which they are being moved to Win7), but Wireless has not been one of them. Our WAP connection software is very granular, right down to the individual user usage and handoff between WAPs. We can also data shape if required. We see no issues that we don't see with Win7 machines.

Nothing whatever wrong with ie11 outside of our banking software not working with it.

lolvista.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

We have approx. 40 Windows 8 laptops and Tablets. They have a multitude of issues (for which they are being moved to Win7), but Wireless has not been one of them. Our WAP connection software is very granular, right down to the individual user usage and handoff between WAPs. We can also data shape if required. We see no issues that we don't see with Win7 machines.

Nothing whatever wrong with ie11 outside of our banking software not working with it.

lolvista.
I don't use WAP but if the 5GHz connection can't be seen by Windows 8, WAP won't work either. The problem my be that my HP ENVY 23 All In One PC doesn't support the 5 GHz band (uses the Ralink integrated network adapter which doesn't support the 5 GHz band) and I had to purchase a USB D-Link DWA-160 network adapter. Maybe Microsoft has a problem seeing the 5 GHz connection when using a USB network adapter. I do have two PCI Express mini card sockets so I might try to find a mini card dual band network adapter (when I was purchased the USB network adapter, there weren't any dual band "N" type mini card network adapters available).

With IE10 and 11, paste doesn't always work and several things in my brokerage account don't work. I've been able to get most of the things working in my brokerage account by compatibility view settings to use IE7 for that site. When paste doesn't work (usually on BE when trying to paste a link) or when I need certain features that don't work in my brokerage account, I have to switch to Firefox or Chrome. There are also a few other minor problems that intermittently occur on different sites. Every time I've reported IE problems to Microsoft, the answer is always the same which is the site has a problem.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 16th 2014 at 8:13 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by powerslave
Hi everyone,

Installed in Chicago now, and moving into a new apartment next week. Was considering getting a Roku box - anyone have any thoughts? Seems like most people tell me cable definitely isn't worth it.

Stay warm, fellow mid-westerners!

Siv
I have a Roku and an Apple TV. IMO Apple TV is better. I like Sky news that is free on ATV. The quality and stability of the operating system is much better than Roku.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got our Roku box today, I have been looking for only fools and horses for the longest time, is there anywhere I can get it on Roku?
Old Feb 24th 2014, 10:13 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
Just got our Roku box today, I have been looking for only fools and horses for the longest time, is there anywhere I can get it on Roku?
If you can't find it anywhere else £35 complete set on amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Only-Fools-H...ols+and+horses
Old Feb 24th 2014, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
If you can't find it anywhere else £35 complete set on amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Only-Fools-H...ols+and+horses
I bought this. Well worth the money.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It appears that the last upgrade of Windows 8.1 completely knocked out the 5 GHz band for my USB network adapter since it couldn't find the 5 GHz band. I ordered an Intel dual band PCI mini card network adapter and replaced the one on my motherboard (the original one only supported the 2.4 GHz band) and Windows 8.1 sees both bands with the new card.