Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Robinsons International Movers Terrible & Very Upsetting Service

Robinsons International Movers Terrible & Very Upsetting Service

Old Nov 1st 2010, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Robinsons International Movers Terrible & Very Upsetting Service

Originally Posted by BadgerNaboo
Robinsons employee covered up damaging our belongings morally they have a responsibility as they have in fact misinformed us regarding the careful packing service they provide
I doubt the packers have any legal responsibility to disclose damage they caused to you. Typically, the onus is on you to inspect your belongings on receipt and report any damage within a certain time period. Morally is another matter and, as I said, having been the victim of similar damage in a move I know just how frustrating this is. Good luck!
Old Nov 1st 2010, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I don't think every container is checked by customs but an ever increasing proportion of them are - so says the Allied rep I am working with.
My container for example has been pulled in for a full customs inspection. When I asked her what this meant she said initially an x-ray and if they see anything they don't like then they will open it up and investigate which equals more money for customs!

To the OP, I would check your paperwork - I'm sure you should be able to make a claim against Robinsons for damage. You should not need to make a claim against your insurance and pay a deductable for damage they caused.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so sorry to hear of your challenges just now, and keep fingers crossed...

We have GB Liners on site as I speak/write - day 2 of packing, and they've been excellent. There were several instances where they needed to take things apart and had problems with screws being knackered etc - they had to damage parts of the bed to take it apart - they told me the problem, gave me some options on solutions, all of which involved some damage, told me they'd note it and I'd have to sign for it - all the solutions they presented were viable & reasonable in the circumstances - and we went ahead and solved the problem...

... just been interrupted by one of the packers telling me he's taken the feet off the linen trunk/chest and put them in a specially marked box with all the other feet and other fittings from other furniture... truly excellent.

So it is about professionalism...

... you're in the US now so take advantage of that!!

Best of British (American!) luck...

Harry
Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:19 am
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

Well I contacted Robinsons and was told the matter would be investigated and I would hear from them a week ago I heard nothing so I was told that I would hear Monday just gone. What a surprise here we are on Wednesday and still nothing.

This makes the situation more frustrating and insulting I am absolutely disgusted.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Well I contacted Robinsons and was told the matter would be investigated and I would hear from them a week ago I heard nothing so I was told that I would hear Monday just gone. What a surprise here we are on Wednesday and still nothing.

This makes the situation more frustrating and insulting I am absolutely disgusted.
Sorry to hear that.

So much for the top dollar they charge us. Good luck and keep us posted.

On the X-Ray thing – our container apparently was inspected as well (we moved from Sydney to SF) and I was charged my portion = $60 or something. We didn’t ship a lot of stuff and were on a grouped container.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

When we used Clark and Rose, the manager of the account went through each piece of furniture and artwork with me in the event it required white glove treatment or exceptional insurance (as in the art work, as gilt frames.)

When the packers came, they even built a special box for a rare (and expensive!) chair - brilliant.

Just like many things, the preparation is key. I watched them wrap anything that I could NOT be happy to have damaged. Not all things are replaceable, by the way, it unique or one of a kind. Those you need a speciality company to work with.

Moving causes all sorts of havoc on furniture. The folks we bought our present home from - they moved 3 streets over and had their $$$ dining room table (custom made) arrive (it only took 10 minutes!) with the exact same imprint of the underside of the treadmill. Ruined, and valueless. Can't be replaced. Oh they were paid the 'value' of it, but still.

It happens...

Most of all, if your work company paid for the move, agitate for them to sever the contract - that *should* get a response from Robinson's.

Sorry about your experience.

(Even with all the packing, we lost 2 new Stetson hats, which were crushed entirely.)

OH - our shipment into Houston - we were told that pretty much everything is xrayed and only 'special' containers get the person-inspection, which we'd have to pay for if so lucky. We paid nothing at all.

Last edited by Bomjeito; Nov 17th 2010 at 7:06 pm. Reason: Added xray experience
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm interested in how this thread has stayed alive so long when after my poor movers' experience I was told it was against forum rules to 'name and shame'.

Mods?
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
I'm interested in how this thread has stayed alive so long when after my poor movers' experience I was told it was against forum rules to 'name and shame'.

Mods?
Perhaps you should PM Sue or one of the US forum mods with your question/complaint.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:49 am

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

Mods?
I'm sorry you had your thread removed I have seen many others that tell of bad experiences.

To remove a thread because you 'name names' is crazy how does anyone know which suppliers to go with if no one is allowed to name bad experiences.

I had a response today to say that the would 'consider' paying to get the chair mended. They mentioned nothing about the stained glass hanging.

The problem is the chair is very rare and if going to need fixing and a full respray in a color no one can match. I have spent two days on the phone trying to find someone who could do it and no success this is now wasting my time.

I did have one possibility from a company in LA but they want $50 just to let me know if they can do it or not.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
When we used Clark and Rose, the manager of the account went through each piece of furniture and artwork with me in the event it required white glove treatment or exceptional insurance (as in the art work, as gilt frames.)

When the packers came, they even built a special box for a rare (and expensive!) chair - brilliant.

Just like many things, the preparation is key. I watched them wrap anything that I could NOT be happy to have damaged. Not all things are replaceable, by the way, it unique or one of a kind. Those you need a speciality company to work with.

Most of all, if your work company paid for the move, agitate for them to sever the contract - that *should* get a response from Robinson's.

Sorry about your experience.

Thanks for the response. I tried to stay on top of them all but as I was making coffee and getting them food all the time I could not keep an eye on what was going on in a three story house.

I did though say that the chair and the stained glass were two of my most precious items I did not think that the packers needed baby sitting as we had gone with a more expensive quote as I was assured that Robinson's gave the highest level of service!!

Not part of any big contract I'm afraid just us.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by E3only
Sorry to hear that.

So much for the top dollar they charge us. Good luck and keep us posted.

On the X-Ray thing – our container apparently was inspected as well (we moved from Sydney to SF) and I was charged my portion = $60 or something. We didn’t ship a lot of stuff and were on a grouped container.
Thanks E3
Old Nov 19th 2010, 5:21 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks E3
Hey, what happened with your husbands job situation thingy going pear-shaped? Are you guys OK?
Old Nov 19th 2010, 2:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Mods?
When did you post yours?

We'll delete threads from new members who join up to name and shame and else where on a case by case basis depending on how long a member has been a member etc. If you had any questions at the time, you'd have been more than welcome to have pm'ed the mod who deleted the thread to ask.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Hey, what happened with your husbands job situation thingy going pear-shaped? Are you guys OK?
Hi CP

My OH company is closing down on the 17th December so everyone out of a job. The HR person comes over on the 30th should know more then. Thanks for asking.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
When did you post yours?

We'll delete threads from new members who join up to name and shame and else where on a case by case basis depending on how long a member has been a member etc. If you had any questions at the time, you'd have been more than welcome to have pm'ed the mod who deleted the thread to ask.
I had been a BR member for a year at the time.
I started a thread about how unhappy I was when some of my stuff was trashed due to woefully inadequate packaging and that if I didn't get satisfaction I'd post who it was.
I was told that I was not allowed to do that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.