British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Roadtrip MA-IN via CT/NY/NJ/PA/MD/VA/WV/OH/IN/IL/MI/NY/MA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/roadtrip-ma-via-ct-ny-nj-pa-md-va-wv-oh-il-mi-ny-ma-798151/)

Bob May 26th 2013 3:37 pm

Roadtrip MA-IN via CT/NY/NJ/PA/MD/VA/WV/OH/IN/IL/MI/NY/MA

So with that mouthful, any tips?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...05#post9412105

Doing the scenic route from MA to PA via the TPZ rather than GWB and a stop off at Hershey Park for the kids.

Plan to drive by Gettysburg, only because we'll be so close, but looking for a potential place to stay between there and Columbus OH.

Punting through to Huntington, IN and possibly doing the kids discovery museum out that way.

Then a couple days in Chicago, catching a ball game and the discovery museum for the kids while doing that.

Then off to Ann Arbor, MI for the afternoon and down around the lake via Rt2 to spend the night in one of the towns near Cleveland, OH.

Next punt, Niagara Falls for the night and then a hefty push for home.

So a quick, whistle stop tour in about a week.

Just looking for suggestions for potential fun routes along the way that might not add much time/distance and places to crash/eat for the night on the cheap. Got it roughly planned out, but looking for anyone in those areas to suggest something, or places to avoid and any bad traffic?

Englishmum May 26th 2013 5:23 pm

Re: Roadtrip MA-IN via CT/NY/NJ/PA/MD/VA/WV/OH/IN/IL/MI/NY/MA

Hi Bob

I was in the US a couple of weeks ago and drove from New Jersey to Connecticut to sell my car at CarMax in East Haven.

I would absolutely try to get off the I-95 asap between CT/NY/NJ - it's awful with too many trucks. I took the RT 15 Willbur Cross Parkway which becomes the Merritt Parkway (it runs parallel to I-95 but a few miles north of the coastline) which is a very pretty 2 lane road through woodland/countryside. I found it much faster and pleasant than the I-95, although obviously it would be busy in the morning rush-hour with drivers heading to NYC and the reverse in the early evenings.

It is signposted from the Merritt Parkway to the Tappan Zee Bridge (very pretty crossing the Hudson here, the Hudson Valley area is very scenic) and you are at the beginning (or end!) of the Garden State Parkway in NJ.

Do you have an EZ Pass?

Btw I've never been to Hershey Park (can't stand their chocolate lol) and I can't remember how old your children are, but this might appeal to them (it's just across the border from NJ):

http://www.crayolaexperience.com/att...tions-map.aspx

http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/crayola-experience-easton

In addition to the Crayola centre, a very nice theme park, 'Dorney Park' is also just off I-78 and close to NJ with a fair number of family-friendly rides:

https://www.dorneypark.com/things-to-do/planet-snoopy

Lion in Winter May 26th 2013 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10725520)
So with that mouthful, any tips?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...05#post9412105

Doing the scenic route from MA to PA via the TPZ rather than GWB and a stop off at Hershey Park for the kids.

Plan to drive by Gettysburg, only because we'll be so close, but looking for a potential place to stay between there and Columbus OH.

Punting through to Huntington, IN and possibly doing the kids discovery museum out that way.

Then a couple days in Chicago, catching a ball game and the discovery museum for the kids while doing that.

Then off to Ann Arbor, MI for the afternoon and down around the lake via Rt2 to spend the night in one of the towns near Cleveland, OH.

Next punt, Niagara Falls for the night and then a hefty push for home.

So a quick, whistle stop tour in about a week.

Just looking for suggestions for potential fun routes along the way that might not add much time/distance and places to crash/eat for the night on the cheap. Got it roughly planned out, but looking for anyone in those areas to suggest something, or places to avoid and any bad traffic?

Coming into Chicago, do NOT get on the Skyway or the Dan Ryan at anything close to rush hour, or you will be there for the rest of your lives.

Yorkieabroad May 26th 2013 7:18 pm

Wow that sounds like a lot of miles in a week!

Dont know most of that area, but we were at Niagara last year. If you've got time, I would definitely recommend heading over to the Canadian side...much better views. And if you do, I'd definitely recommend staying out of the town....it is horrendously touristy with all the mini golf, Guinness World records, Ripleys Believe it or Npt etc etc. A real money pit.

Oh, and as you're passing Buffalo can you pull off and see if they've put it together again? We planned to stop there for lunch (spicy chicken anyone?) but when we pulled off it looked as though it was being redeveloped as a set for the latest Mad Max movie so we didn't stop..:unsure:

100weight May 26th 2013 10:44 pm

On the road between Detroit and Niagara, there is a restaurant that overlooks Lake Ontario and the food is really good. We've stopped there every time we've gone to the Falls. Really miss this place.
http://www.lakehouserestaurant.com/index.php
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lake+H...ervice+Rd&z=16

In Niagara, the revolving restaurant at the top of the tower is over rated, IMO. Food is okay, but you're paying a huge premium just because the place is spinning.
Had a pretty decent steak at The Keg, overlooking the falls.
There is a cable car ride over the Niagara Whirlpool, which we enjoyed.
The White Water walk is fairly impressive.
Never did the jet boat tour, but REALLY wanted to.

In Ann Arbor, Zingerman's make expensive although damn good sandwiches. When last we were there, they were building a huge expansion and you had to queue outside in the street to get in.

If you're taking in a ball game in Chicago, I would suggest Wrigley Field (Cubs). Best hotdogs we've had in the US (and I try to eat them all).
Dinner at the top of the Hancock Tower can be be pricey, but is quite scenic. IIRC, the bar is one floor higher, busier, but has sunset views as opposed to the lake views of the restaurant. Lunch might be better for the restaurant as at least you can see something. And flashy dressing is NOT required, although shorts and sandals probably won't get you in. It also beats waiting in line with the tourists going to the observation deck.
Navy Pier is fun afternoon stroll.
Joe's Seafood and steakhouse in the heart of downtown Chicago has some good food. We sat in the bar area rather than the restaurant so you can see whats happening outside.

All I can think of off the top of my head.
CWT

Bob May 26th 2013 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 10725642)
Hi Bob

I was in the US a couple of weeks ago and drove from New Jersey to Connecticut to sell my car at CarMax in East Haven.

I would absolutely try to get off the I-95 asap between CT/NY/NJ - it's awful with too many trucks. I took the RT 15 Willbur Cross Parkway which becomes the Merritt Parkway (it runs parallel to I-95 but a few miles north of the coastline) which is a very pretty 2 lane road through woodland/countryside. I found it much faster and pleasant than the I-95, although obviously it would be busy in the morning rush-hour with drivers heading to NYC and the reverse in the early evenings.

It is signposted from the Merritt Parkway to the Tappan Zee Bridge (very pretty crossing the Hudson here, the Hudson Valley area is very scenic) and you are at the beginning (or end!) of the Garden State Parkway in NJ.

Do you have an EZ Pass?

Btw I've never been to Hershey Park (can't stand their chocolate lol) and I can't remember how old your children are, but this might appeal to them (it's just across the border from NJ):

http://www.crayolaexperience.com/att...tions-map.aspx

http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/crayola-experience-easton

In addition to the Crayola centre, a very nice theme park, 'Dorney Park' is also just off I-78 and close to NJ with a fair number of family-friendly rides:

https://www.dorneypark.com/things-to-do/planet-snoopy

I'm avoiding the coast route down, we're hitting the Mass Pike out and down to Hartford and then west via Danbury I think it is to hit the TPZ. Will be hitting that at 0' donkey a clock in the AM to avoid the traffic.

Do have a EZP, which makes life easier :D

We're doing Hershey because it's a free tour, though the crayon place is a potential too. Just want to hit Gettysburg area to end the first day.

Bob May 26th 2013 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10725746)
Wow that sounds like a lot of miles in a week!

Dont know most of that area, but we were at Niagara last year. If you've got time, I would definitely recommend heading over to the Canadian side...much better views. And if you do, I'd definitely recommend staying out of the town....it is horrendously touristy with all the mini golf, Guinness World records, Ripleys Believe it or Npt etc etc. A real money pit.

Oh, and as you're passing Buffalo can you pull off and see if they've put it together again? We planned to stop there for lunch (spicy chicken anyone?) but when we pulled off it looked as though it was being redeveloped as a set for the latest Mad Max movie so we didn't stop..:unsure:

Aye, it's roughly 2.3K and I'll be grumpy and probably regret it by end of day 2...

Would love to hit the Canadian side for the trek back, but we're doing the US side because the missus passport expired a bit back and never got the kids theirs, so it's just another expense right now we're avoiding.

Buffalo, isn't that what it is supposed to look like? Was going to go stay there, but a mate from there said not to bother and just nip up to Niagara instead :D

Bob May 26th 2013 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by 100weight (Post 10725942)
On the road between Detroit and Niagara, there is a restaurant that overlooks Lake Ontario and the food is really good. We've stopped there every time we've gone to the Falls. Really miss this place.
http://www.lakehouserestaurant.com/index.php
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lake+H...ervice+Rd&z=16

In Niagara, the revolving restaurant at the top of the tower is over rated, IMO. Food is okay, but you're paying a huge premium just because the place is spinning.
Had a pretty decent steak at The Keg, overlooking the falls.
There is a cable car ride over the Niagara Whirlpool, which we enjoyed.
The White Water walk is fairly impressive.
Never did the jet boat tour, but REALLY wanted to.

In Ann Arbor, Zingerman's make expensive although damn good sandwiches. When last we were there, they were building a huge expansion and you had to queue outside in the street to get in.

If you're taking in a ball game in Chicago, I would suggest Wrigley Field (Cubs). Best hotdogs we've had in the US (and I try to eat them all).
Dinner at the top of the Hancock Tower can be be pricey, but is quite scenic. IIRC, the bar is one floor higher, busier, but has sunset views as opposed to the lake views of the restaurant. Lunch might be better for the restaurant as at least you can see something. And flashy dressing is NOT required, although shorts and sandals probably won't get you in. It also beats waiting in line with the tourists going to the observation deck.
Navy Pier is fun afternoon stroll.
Joe's Seafood and steakhouse in the heart of downtown Chicago has some good food. We sat in the bar area rather than the restaurant so you can see whats happening outside.

All I can think of off the top of my head.
CWT

Cheers for all the info too!

We're catching Cubs v Indians, so not exactly great teams, but cheap as chips. We just miss the Red Sox which is a shame, still, who cares :)

rpjs May 26th 2013 11:48 pm

Here by the Tappan Zee is Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow, we have some great places to eat and numerous attractions, Lyndhurst (Jay Gould mansion), Sunnyside (Washington Irving), Kykuit (Rockefellers), Sleepy Hollow Cemetery (where a lot of the above householders are buried) and the Old Dutch Church, Philipsburg Manor recreated Dutch colonial manor house.

A bit more of a detour further north if you want to avoid the TZB is Cold Spring for Boscobel, a Federalist house with stunning views down the Hudson, lots of antique stores in Cold Spring itself (and a shop run by a Welsh lady that has a small selection if British groceries). Then onto Beacon with its art scene then across the Hudson for West Point and the Brotherhood Winery - most of their wines are a bit "meh" but they do do a very nice sparkling white made by the method Champenoise.

rpjs May 26th 2013 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10725959)
Would love to hit the Canadian side for the trek back, but we're doing the US side because the missus passport expired a bit back and never got the kids theirs, so it's just another expense right now we're avoiding

If you're GC holders that should be sufficient to get into Canada. The Canadian side has a lot more going on than the NY side which is frankly a bit run down and seedy.

Bob May 27th 2013 12:11 am

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 10725989)
If you're GC holders that should be sufficient to get into Canada. The Canadian side has a lot more going on than the NY side which is frankly a bit run down and seedy.

I'm all set with greencard/passport, but everyone else are USC's :)

Rete May 27th 2013 1:49 am

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 10725983)
Here by the Tappan Zee is Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow.

If you are cutting through at Danbury you should look into taking 684 from Danbury to Newbury. YOu won't cross the Tap but another bridge and it will take you to the NY Thurway were you can pick up the Garden State and then get onto the NJ Turnpike further south.

When driving to Hershey look for good 'n plenty restaurants in the Amish area of the state. The food is German/Amish, plentiful, good and delicious and you pay close to nothing for the kids to eat. My grandkids loved Hershey's tour in 2011 and they were 6, 4, and 2. The park itself is very expensive. Just really another Six Flags.

You might want to drive through the Finger Lake region on the return from Niagra. The lakes are beautiful and you can pick up some great wine. You can stop also in Ithaca, Syracuse and continue back to MA on the NYS Thruway through Albany onto the MA Pike.

penguinsix May 27th 2013 2:47 am

If you are going past I-80/90 through Indiana, you'll literally be about one mile from the campus of the University of Notre Dame, which is rather pretty and famous.

Also along the Eastern shore of Lake Michigan there are some pretty large sand dunes the kids can run around and play on.

Bob May 27th 2013 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 10726054)
If you are cutting through at Danbury you should look into taking 684 from Danbury to Newbury. YOu won't cross the Tap but another bridge and it will take you to the NY Thurway were you can pick up the Garden State and then get onto the NJ Turnpike further south.

When driving to Hershey look for good 'n plenty restaurants in the Amish area of the state. The food is German/Amish, plentiful, good and delicious and you pay close to nothing for the kids to eat. My grandkids loved Hershey's tour in 2011 and they were 6, 4, and 2. The park itself is very expensive. Just really another Six Flags.

You might want to drive through the Finger Lake region on the return from Niagra. The lakes are beautiful and you can pick up some great wine. You can stop also in Ithaca, Syracuse and continue back to MA on the NYS Thruway through Albany onto the MA Pike.

Didn't see a Newbury, but a Newburgh on I-84?

I-684 is lovely, we did that last time down to PA, hitting Rt-117

Thanks for the tip on a place to eat! Sounds great :)

That last leg back, Ithaca looked a bit out of the way? Was planning on I-90 through Syracuse and wondering where might be a good spot for a break for food between there or Albany...or possibly detouring through Cooperstown, but that might be a bit of a stretch.

Hadn't even thought about Notre Dame, I'm planning I-70 to Indianapolis and then I-69 north, break for a couple days for a wedding in Huntingdon and then Rt-30 to Chicago.

Looking to hit I-94 to Ann Arbor, but wondering about any ferry crossings across the lake from Chicago to across the lake along the way instead of driving around, but not really looked yet.

Looking at Cedar Point or Geneva on the lake as potential night spots around Cleveland, but anywhere with a bit of sand for the kids to run around on would be lovely :)

Rete May 27th 2013 3:47 pm

Yup, Newburgh sorry about that

Love Geneva .. it is a lovely historic college town. Depending on the time of your trip, hotel rooms will be hard to get and will be expensive.