Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Road trip, Washington, Oregan, Idaho

Road trip, Washington, Oregan, Idaho

Old Feb 15th 2010, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Road trip, Washington, Oregan, Idaho

Guys, I am looking at doing a two week road trip in to the states, starting and finishing in Calgary Canada.

Possibly looking at Seattle, Portland Oreagan etc then a lop back up North and across the border.

I will be travelling with my wife and an 18 month old.

Would really appreciate, tips, suggestions, routes, places to stay etc or anything else I might find useful.

Many thanks.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 2:53 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road trip, Washington, Oregan, Idaho

Originally Posted by Lamin
Guys, I am looking at doing a two week road trip in to the states, starting and finishing in Calgary Canada.

Possibly looking at Seattle, Portland Oreagan etc then a lop back up North and across the border.

Would really appreciate, tips, suggestions, routes, places to stay etc or anything else I might find useful.

Many thanks.
Meh, don't bother with Oregon (hello, M!).

Actually, there's a ton of stuff to do on the Pacific coast of both Oregon and Washington.

The Olympic peninsula is great: super beaches, rainforest for hiking, Forks (if you're a fan of Stephanie Bloody Meyer), Hurricane Ridge, day trip to Victoria BC from Port Angeles.

Depending on when you're traveling, Mount Rainier (14400 feet give or take).

Portland is a fun and vibrant city for nightlife with some funky dining as well: not sure what an 18-month-old would find to do though, although the zoo isn't bad.

The Columbia gorge has some stunning scenery, both natural and man-made: The Grand Coulee Dam in N. Central Washington is amazing.

The Cascade mountains themselves are great, and the North Cascade Scenic Drive is worth it if you like mountain scenery.

Birdwatching is great on the coasts, and you can also go whale watching very easily. Again, depending on the timing, you may get to see a pod of Orcas.

The majority of what the area has to offer is natural beauty, and if you are familiar with major European cities you'll probably be a bit disappointed in the "cultural" aspects.

Editing to add: if you're going to be coming via Vancouver BC (there is a Vancouver in WA as well, hence the BC qualification), do visit Stanley Park, and the Capilano suspension bridge. A day and night in Vancouver is a good amount of time to spend for starters.

If you want any questions answered about specific items or places, just post away!

Last edited by nettlebed; Feb 15th 2010 at 2:56 am.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks.
We loved Cannon Beach, Oregon. Here's a reasonable, wonderfully located place to stay. We recently sent friends there and they loved it too. While you won't have ocean views, all you have to do is walk straight back to the sea and you'll be right at Haystack Rock.

http://www.cannonbeachhotel.com/

This, however, I find confusing: "Children ten and under stay for free. Cannon Beach Hotel is not appropriate for children." You might want to call to make sure it's okay to bring an eighteen month old.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Try this site, it might help; http://www.roadtripamerica.com/index.htm

Be careful not too overdo it, especially with the little one in tow. I'd guess that you'd need to spend at least four days in the car of 7+ hours driving just to get to the places you listed, you could always break that up but then you're still going to be doing several hours of driving every other day.

Personally I wouldn't do that kind of trip with an 18 month old, I think it would have been too much, but maybe you're much more adventurous than I am. I would certainly consider it with older kids though.

What about a trip to Glacier national park and back? That's only about 4hrs from Calgary.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 4:23 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
What about a trip to Glacier national park and back? That's only about 4hrs from Calgary.
I am looking at doing a two week road trip
Not overdoing it is good, but I think that restricting it to a trip to Glacier on a two-week outing from Calgary to Glaicer might be underdoing it a little...
Old Feb 15th 2010, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

I spent 6 weeks in the US as a law student (many years ago now). My firend was from Portland, Oregon. We did a similar road trip. From Oregon up through Washinton State, the Pacific North West, into Canada, Vancouver, across to Alberta then down to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and back to Oregon.

OK, we didn't have a little one with us but we had the trip of our lives. I still remember the Pacific coastline at La Push (yes I was there long before the werewolves!!!), the views at Glacier National Park, the fabulously gorgeous guys in Vancouver (in the Youth Hostel) and probably my favourite of all was Yellowstone National Park. Truly amazing.

I cannot wait to do a trip like this again. This will be one of our first holidays I think once I move across the pond.

You will have a great time.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Not overdoing it is good, but I think that restricting it to a trip to Glacier on a two-week outing from Calgary to Glaicer might be underdoing it a little...
I missed that bit about the two weeks, hmmm, don't know where I'd go then from there.

If I had plenty bucks I'd take the train

http://www.rockymountaineer.com/en/
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

With an 18 month old, any driving over 4 hours is a bit of a stretch unless it is at night...sure it's doable, but you'll probably have to have quite a few breaks, especially after the first couple of days.

Perhaps might want to scale down the road trip and focus in on a couple locations in a couple of states, other wise you'll just be driving the whole time and not really get a chance to relax and enjoy the sites.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:34 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks.
I live in Oregon and have done more or less that trip.. the route that blew me away is Calgary over the Canadian Rockies (mountain goats! bears! breath taking!) through Lake Louise.
You MUST go through Montana (just like A River Runs Through It!) and I highly recommend going across the Snake River and coming down through the Wallawa mountains and the Columbia Gorge.

Hood River Oregon is a charming place to stop. Portland is well worth a couple of days out of the car. From there, it's an hour and a half to the coast, and I second Cannon Beach; you'll never find another place quite like it.

Unfortunately, the part between Portland and Seattle isn't all that scenic BUT you can include a stop or a look at Mt St Helens (an exploding volcano!) and the cut back across on the 90 so you can see the central high desert.
OR
skip Spokane and the middle part and add more scenic Vancouver BC and Vancouver Island.
Like this (hope this works).
Old Feb 16th 2010, 3:42 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks.
Two years back -- attended a conference in Vancouver -- when it was over, made a day drive to Nelson. Then up to Revelstoke, then two day drive to Vancouver via Kamloops. Revelstoke is near Mt. Revelstoke National Park and Glacier National Park [the Canadian one]. Mt. Revelstoke had alpine meadows -- however it was too early in the year -- July 3rd -- so there was still a foot of snow up there. Bring your winter boots.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 5:06 pm
Shocked of Redmond

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Holy crap, that looks nice: M & I were wondering what we were going to do for our 10th, and I think we might just have found what we'll be doing. She loves Lake Louise, and insists I need to visit there sometime...

Thanks!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 5:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Holy crap, that looks nice: M & I were wondering what we were going to do for our 10th, and I think we might just have found what we'll be doing. She loves Lake Louise, and insists I need to visit there sometime...

Thanks!
Oh yes!
You'll need a tweed suit... you two will be gorgeous there!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks!
I confess, I'm one of the sad gits over on "The Bachelor" thread.

The last 'bachelorette' was a Canadian girl and they took a trip on the Rocky Mountaineer, it looked really lovely and the scenery on the trip was out of this world.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:00 am
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

Cannon Beach is very fun, we've stayed at The Surfsand Resort there, very nice, and definitely kid friendly. I really like Lincoln City too, really cute little town. If you travel further down the coast road, definitely go to the Sea Lion Caves, loud and stinky, but really fun.
Naomi.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Cannot add much in terms of specific places but I would add to the debate on the distances you intend to cover and time you have available.
I did a trip from Seattle to Orlando by road with breaks of course but you quickly find the distances are tiring.
Especially when you find you have to cover miles to keep moving if you get me.
And worse is finding youself on a stretch that is very boring. Eg Along the gulf between lafayette and points east. 2 lanes walled in by swamp and trees. Not very stimulating and it goes on and on and on!!!
It's not all sweeping vistas and breathtaking views.

Also after your flight you might not feel so cool behind the wheel for the first few days???