Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Road trip - Calgary to Jackson, Wyoming & Montana

Road trip - Calgary to Jackson, Wyoming & Montana

Old Jul 28th 2011, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Road trip - Calgary to Jackson, Wyoming & Montana

We are planning a visit to Jackson Wyoming in September, travelling down from Calgary accompanied by a 3 year old.

I would appreciate any suggestions on places to visit, stop or rest at either on route or whilst in the area.

As a side note, I am looking to possibly visit the General Custer historic site at Little Bighorn Montana. Has anybody been, is it worth the effort, it looks remote or does anybody have any alternative suggestions?

I appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Many thanks.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 1:57 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road trip - Calgary to Jackson, Wyoming & Montana

I remember going to Jackson when I was younger. Very scenic!! Jackson itself is a bit of a tourist trap so its worth to get off the beaten track and ask where and what the locals do and see around there.

Its a given to go and explore around the Tetons, Yellowstone etc etc and I'd go to Glacier National Park since you're coming in from the North.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

We did go to the Little Bighorn Battlefield site a couple of years ago. It is very remote and a bit of a trek, but IMHO well worth seeing although there really isn't much to see there is a small fenced off area with some white headstones in it including Custer's, but he is buried in, I think, West Point. There are other white headstones outwith the small area where some soldiers fell. You cannot get down to the riverside where the Native American camp was, why I don't know, but there might not be a path down there. There is a small visitors center where some NP employees give a talk and video/slideshow. I'm not sure how much interest for a 2 yr old it would hold.

I don't know if you will be visiting Yellowstone NP and Grand Teton NP on your way to Jackson, WY. That is well worth at least 3-4 days of your time. There is the Bison and sometimes other wildlife such as Elk around in Mammoth. We stayed in Gardiner, MT. and West Yellowstone. You would need to book accomodation soon as it does get filled up especially in the park.

There is a nice place to eat in Jackson, The Snake River Brewing Company. It brews its own beer of various different types, they do allow children in and the prices are reasonable.

There is a Grizzly Bear and Wolf experience place in West Yellowstone and a Grizzly Bear place in Billings MT. I don't know about the Canadian part of the trip, but it will be a long drive, so take things to keep the little one amused.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 9:48 am
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute

I would certainly recommend a trip to Glacier National Park. Visited this time last year and saw some if the most beautiful scenery. It was pretty jam packed with visitors but even if you don't stay overnight I would at least take a drive along 'Going to the Sun Road'. Just a note, buy your snacks, drinks etc before entering as the village of shops at the entrance to Glacier are expensive.

Like others have said, Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons are well worth seeing. I didn't have time to spend more than a few hours here but it makes for a nice scenic drive. Not sure about entertainment for your child but we found good amenities in Yellowstone.