Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Road trip advice (cont.)

Road trip advice (cont.)

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:16 pm
IPM
Forum Regular

IPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to all
Default Road trip advice (cont.)

We are planning a 6/7 week road trip before we depart the US. Initial thesis was Boulder to San Fran, taking in as many NPs as possible. Main constraint is surviving the distances with two small children.

We are staying a week in Boulder and then another camping in Rocky Mountain NP and then on to Jackson (Tetons). The issue is where we go after this. Options would seem to be:

1. Yellowstone NP, although I hear that July is very crowded and its stressful booking accomodation. Moreover, I have very limited interest in crawling on park roads at 5mph.

2. Track NW through Idaho and then on Route 26 thru OR which previous posters have commented is scenic, taking in Bend and making the coast at Newport before trundling down Route 101 for a couple of weeks; or

3. Head for a dude ranch in WY or MT. Abandon idea of going to CA. Return to Denver, sell car and fly out.

4. Blast south on I-15 to Salt Lake - is there much to do here? - before heading West to Tahoe area on I-80. Final bit would then be to take California 20 over to Mendocino is that's nice; otherwise probably just hang out in San Fran.

NB. We have ruled out Grand Canyon as it will be too hot for the kids to enjoy at this time of year.

Would be great to hear any perspectives.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road trip advice (cont.)

Yellowstone is well worth a visit IMHO. Last time we were there we booked a hotel in West Yellowstone. There is a grizzly bear and wolf sanctuary there that might be of interest to the kids. The speed limit on the roads is 45mph. There is so much to see there, you don't want to be speeding through.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Yellowstone will be busy, but I think the 5mph crawling will only be if there's a bear or some other critter alongside the road. Probably the bigger problem would be battling for a parking spot at the various places you'll want to get out and look at stuff like geysers. You don't have to stay in one of the park hotels - try West Yellowstone or you might be able to book a camp site in the park online now as it sounds like you'll have camping gear.

I'm sure a dude ranch would be fun for the kids but it would be a shame with 6 or 7 weeks for you not to get to the Pacific ocean. Amazing scenery there and on the way there from the Rockies. There are dude ranches all over the western states not just WY or MT if that's something you want to do.

Salt Lake City - no reason to stay really. Utah is mainly for the national parks - at least go and see Arches NP for the day. I made a few recommendations before which I'd stick by. If you head west from Bend, plan to spend a couple of days in the Cascade mountains (on the west side - prettier - say around Hwy 126 after Santiam pass). Big fir trees, beautiful rivers and waterfalls, snow capped mountains etc. Or head to Crater Lake which is amazing and has the trees/waterfalls etc on the way west from there.

Not sure if you've seen much of the western US, but once you have you might not want to leave. The scenery and all the recreational possibilities are the main reason I stay in the US.

Last edited by Psyman; Apr 24th 2013 at 6:37 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 2:17 pm
IPM
Forum Regular

IPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Psyman View Post
Yellowstone will be busy, but I think the 5mph crawling will only be if there's a bear or some other critter alongside the road. Probably the bigger problem would be battling for a parking spot at the various places you'll want to get out and look at stuff like geysers. You don't have to stay in one of the park hotels - try West Yellowstone or you might be able to book a camp site in the park online now as it sounds like you'll have camping gear.

I'm sure a dude ranch would be fun for the kids but it would be a shame with 6 or 7 weeks for you not to get to the Pacific ocean. Amazing scenery there and on the way there from the Rockies. There are dude ranches all over the western states not just WY or MT if that's something you want to do.

Salt Lake City - no reason to stay really. Utah is mainly for the national parks - at least go and see Arches NP for the day. I made a few recommendations before which I'd stick by. If you head west from Bend, plan to spend a couple of days in the Cascade mountains (on the west side - prettier - say around Hwy 126 after Santiam pass). Big fir trees, beautiful rivers and waterfalls, snow capped mountains etc. Or head to Crater Lake which is amazing and has the trees/waterfalls etc on the way west from there.

Not sure if you've seen much of the western US, but once you have you might not want to leave. The scenery and all the recreational possibilities are the main reason I stay in the US.
Many thanks Psyman; I looked up the Santiam pass area and its seems to be within Williamette National Forest. Is this the same area where that great Oregon Pinot Noir comes from, if so, would you recommend any wineries for tours etc?
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not much of a wine drinker but the wineries are further west in the Willamette valley (the area between the Cascade mountains and the coast range roughly north of Eugene up to Portland). I can recommend a few good breweries though as the microbrew industry pretty much started in the Pacific north west. If you're in Bend try the Deschutes brewpub downtown for starters, and in Newport you have the Rogue brewpub. Great beers, burgers, fish and chips etc.

The Willamette national forest would be correct. All of the national forests on the west side of the Cascade mountains will be pretty much the same with dense fir, spruce hemlock etc, rivers, waterfalls. On the east side of the Cascades (pretty much all the way through the inland western states) you'll find the forests are a lot drier pine forests and more open. Still beautiful though. Of course, if you get to the redwoods in California you are talking something completely different (and a must see). All of the national forests will have ranger stations in small towns along whatever highway it is going through the forest where you can stop and ask advice on camping, hiking, things to do etc as its not always obvious that there may be a waterfall just 50 yards from the road!

Feel free to ask any other questions. I've travelled a fair bit around the western states (except Arizona) and seen quite a bit of stuff that may be off the main tourist routes.