British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   risk it or not?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/risk-not-312509/)

steandras Jul 6th 2005 8:10 pm

risk it or not??

hi there !! our dilemma is this... really want to move over to wisconsin to be nearer my sister from NE UK...however, apparently the waiting time for applications for immigrant visas are 12 years !!! Needless to say I have never been one for being patient....we are a family of four and once we have sold up here will have adequate funds. Several suggestions have included selling up and going over regardless ( allegedly people are rarely thrown out once they're in) and applying to remain once out there ( which is apparently quicker) and renting in the meantime. This seems extremely risky and even though it sounds quicker, cannot be that easy? Its been suggested that once you are already there they are pretty accommodating in helping out? This doesn't coincide with the red tape stories I have also heard!!
So has anyone taken such a route or know of anyone that has?? Is this a bad idea or is it workable??

ImHere Jul 6th 2005 8:13 pm

Re: risk it or not??

Weeeeeellll, I'd edge more on the side of FUCKING STUPID IDEA. Actually.

We had to wait thorugh 2.5 years of uncertainty while our immigrant visa application was processed, and pretty much everyone on here has spent plenty of time and money doing things the legal way. So, hey, grow up and get real or go away.

Manc Jul 6th 2005 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by steandras
hi there !! our dilemma is this... really want to move over to wisconsin to be nearer my sister from NE UK...however, apparently the waiting time for applications for immigrant visas are 12 years !!! Needless to say I have never been one for being patient....we are a family of four and once we have sold up here will have adequate funds. Several suggestions have included selling up and going over regardless ( allegedly people are rarely thrown out once they're in) and applying to remain once out there ( which is apparently quicker) and renting in the meantime. This seems extremely risky and even though it sounds quicker, cannot be that easy? Its been suggested that once you are already there they are pretty accommodating in helping out? This doesn't coincide with the red tape stories I have also heard!!
So has anyone taken such a route or know of anyone that has?? Is this a bad idea or is it workable??

you are advocating turning your children into criminals, do you think it is a bad idea?

ImHere Jul 6th 2005 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
you are advocating turning your children into criminals, do you think it is a bad idea?

Thats another way of putting it.

Duncan Roberts Jul 6th 2005 8:16 pm

Don't do it. For starters you are breaking the law. People don't get thrown out because they take crap jobs and lay low, living illegally after filing with immigration is about as dumb as it gets. There are 101 more reasons not to do it including insurance, social security#, etc, etc. There is no quick way to do it, if you try you are going to get thrown out at some point and be banned for a good number of years.

dunroving Jul 6th 2005 8:23 pm

You are either kidding or a troll. All you have to do is cruise this board (especially the immigration sections) for 10 minutes to realize you are living in La-La Land.

Pimpbot Jul 6th 2005 8:34 pm

And Wisconsin for god sake?!!??

sibsie Jul 6th 2005 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Pimpbot

:D :D :D

cindyabs Jul 6th 2005 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Pimpbot

Well there is Cheese after all.

Ray Jul 6th 2005 9:19 pm

For someone who claims to have a Law Degree..you are pretty stupid ...
you have already been told how to do it ..previously ..

But I am a nice person ..so will tell you once..

Reseach the E-2 visa here: http://www.investorvisausa.com/index.html
Do you trip to Wisconsin find a business to buy for more than $150K

Move over there .. then get your sister to file a I-130 for you ..
a few years later your have happiness.

BritGuyTN Jul 6th 2005 9:36 pm

Several suggestions have included selling up and going over regardless ( allegedly people are rarely thrown out once they're in)

Bollocks - try it and find out for certain - let us know how you get on

and applying to remain once out there (which is apparently quicker) and renting in the meantime.

Try living a normal life without a social security number

Its been suggested that once you are already there they are pretty accommodating in helping out?

More bollocks

ImHere Jul 6th 2005 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Bollocks - try it and find out for certain - let us know how you get on

Try living a normal life without a social security number

More bollocks

I think the OP meant to say "Its been suggested that once you are already there they are pretty accommodating in helping you out of the country and back to where you came from"

tony126 Jul 6th 2005 10:09 pm

I'm no expert on this matter but I would certainly read up on medical costs in the USA and the insurance cover premiums.

Ray Jul 6th 2005 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by tony126
I'm no expert on this matter but I would certainly read up on medical costs in the USA and the insurance cover premiums.

They would most likely need the SSN they can't get for that ...

Heather142 Jul 6th 2005 10:57 pm

I understand the frustration that you are feeling ... I have been there. When we first found out about the wait in front of us we visited a US lawyer who informed us that the only quicker way, in 'our' situation was to 'buy' our visa (E2). Unfortunately we did not have sufficient funds for that route. We had to wait.

I think you have been given very good advice in the previous posts - do things legally - if you really want to be here do not take chances.