Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Rights Group Sues Immigration Agency

Rights Group Sues Immigration Agency

Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:48 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Rights Group Sues Immigration Agency

http://kevxml2a.verizon.net/_1_913TO...&feed=ap&top=1

ATLANTA - A civil rights group sued the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency Wednesday, claiming its agents had harassed five U.S. citizens of Mexican descent during raids targeting illegal immigrants in southeast Georgia.
The Southern Poverty Law Center said the agents were engaging in a "Gestapo-like" campaign to drive Latinos out of the area. It claimed the agents entered houses without warrants, stopped cars on the street, terrified Latinos and vandalized their property.

"They trampled on the constitutional rights of every person of Hispanic descent who was unfortunate to be in their way," said Mary Bauer, an attorney with the center who is representing the plaintiffs. "You don't get to stop all who look brown."

The center, based in Montgomery, Ala., wants an injunction preventing ICE from conducting similar raids, as well as unspecified compensation for the plaintiffs.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:12 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rights Group Sues Immigration Agency

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
"They trampled on the constitutional rights of every person of Hispanic descent who was unfortunate to be in their way," said Mary Bauer, an attorney with the center who is representing the plaintiffs. "You don't get to stop all who look brown."
Do illegal immigrants have constitutional rights?
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:15 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
had harassed five U.S. citizens of Mexican descent
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:32 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
But how many illegals did they find during the raid? Also none of the us citizens were arrested. The whole law suit is Sharptonesque.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford

Purlease!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I prefer the term:

Illegal Temporarary Non-residents

No person is illegal.

Just google the name of this organisation if you want to understand their credibility.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

carolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Rights Group Sues Immigration Agency

Originally Posted by Boiler
I prefer the term:

Illegal Temporarary Non-residents

No person is illegal.

Just google the name of this organisation if you want to understand their credibility.
I believe they have won some important cases against the KKK and other hate groups.

Old Nov 2nd 2006, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

BmblBee has much to be proud ofBmblBee has much to be proud ofBmblBee has much to be proud ofBmblBee has much to be proud ofBmblBee has much to be proud ofBmblBee has much to be proud ofBmblBee has much to be proud ofBmblBee has much to be proud ofBmblBee has much to be proud ofBmblBee has much to be proud ofBmblBee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
http://kevxml2a.verizon.net/_1_913TO...&feed=ap&top=1

"You don't get to stop all who look brown."

The center, based in Montgomery, Ala., wants an injunction preventing ICE from conducting similar raids, as well as unspecified compensation for the plaintiffs.
The Oxford Dictionary defines Hispanic as: noun, a Spanish-speaking person, especially one of Latin American descent, living in the US. According to the US Census Bureau Population Profile of the United States (2000) “People of Hispanic origin are those who indicated that their origin was Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or some other Hispanic origin. People of Hispanic origin may be of any race.” According to the same source, 14.24% (approximately 42 Million people) of Americans are Hispanic (of any race). Hispanic, like Celtic, is a language/ethnic rather than race indicator.

Only 12.5% of Americans claim English, Scottish, Welsh or Scots-Irish ancestry (UK), (US Census Bureau and the Migration Policy Institute) and 11.7% claim Irish ancestry (IRL) (US Census 2005). Does anyone from the British Isles consider himself or herself “European”? Only 16.8% of American claim Celtic ancestry (Celtic based ethnic nationalities counted by the US Census include Irish, Scottish, Scots Irish and Welsh). I realize many English are also Celts; Hispanics are not necessarily all Hispanic either. Roll with me here.

Hispanics are a considered an ethnic minority with major “minority status” in the US due to their language and national origin – Celts are an even greater minority with no special status. This needs to be corrected. I want Gaelic added to all the public signs, government forms, test books and bi-lingual preferences in employment! I am a US citizen and a minority. This is my right (if applying the same logic).

Refund of the considerable expense we incurred to gain a "legal" US resident status would be a fine start. Do you think this advocacy group (the center) will take my case
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

Hispanics could also be Celts, are not Basques Celts?

All I want is the self check out tills in Lowes and Home Depot to offer Welsh.

I currently use the Spanish option, confuses the help no end if I have problems.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by carolf
I believe they have won some important cases against the KKK and other hate groups.

Look further.....